All reviewsthe rivertown centrebygone erathoroughly enjoyed our stayrun hotelmiddletourcatalunyabasemountainsviews
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This is a nice old hotel with a touch of the past, it has good showers, comfy beds, and a beautiful view of the river and property if your at the back of the hotel. It's clean and the price is ok (we were there is the off season and were upgraded). Breakfast was ok, the typical bagels, slices of cured ham with some fruit, O.J. and coffee all included in the price of the room.
Parking was a bit of a hassle. This hotel is downtown so everything is close by in this typical Catalonian city.
There are hiking trails not too far but you would need a car to get to them, skiing is not far and I believe there are buses to get you to the hills.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river, the balcony view is very nice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Judging by the photos in the foyer, this 'fin de siècle' style hotel has been at the centre of Camprodon life for a hundred years. It has an ornate ball room and a pleasant garden with its own bridge BUT I don't know what was going on with the swimming pool - not swimming by any one in their right mind - it was green with three tyres floating in it (I don't know if the rest of the Reliant Robin was in there).
The hotel food was ok rather than excellent but there was plenty of it. My room was clean and of reasonable size with a balcony overlooking a square at the front. The hotel is fairly central in Camprodon but doesn't suffer from any significant traffic noise. Camprodon itself is an interesting town with two rivers meeting in its centre and a good number of shops many selling local food specialities such as ham, meat, honey and patisserie.

Room Tip: The rooms with the best views and the biggest balconies (some very large) were at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jayembee1969
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We booked to stay here based on reviews. It was expensive for what we got. Location is great, right in the middle of the town on a small square, but this meant no parking. We had a car, so had to leave it in a car park on the outskirts of town. We knew this might be a possibility, but were unprepared for the couldn't care less attitude of the managers/staff. Well, you could do this, you could do that ..... whatever. If you are a visitor to a town, you expect that your hosts might be at least interested in helping you to find a solution, rather than leaving it up to you.

Our room was large and quiet, looking over the square. It was furnished quite luxuriously and had all the mod cons - but no wifi, except in the public areas. This is a major negative these days, especially when we had assumed that computer access would be available free everywhere.

We asked for a map of the town and recommendations for restaurants. The staff did not even have a local map to give us, but directed us to the tourist information office (which was closed).

When we wanted to look at the menu for their restaurant for the night, the manager shooed us away.

We payed an extra 8 euro each to have breakfast the next morning. We arrived at 8.30, (breakfast was from 8-10), but there was not much choice left. All the fruit had been taken, there was no coffee left, the eggs and sausages were cold, there was no fruit salad left, etc. We had to ask three times for coffee, for bread, and for milk for our cereal.

This is obviously a hotel catering for bus tours. If you are not on a bus tour, you will only get the rooms that are left and don't go to breakfast after the tour has eaten its way through all the food. I would usually only eat a small breakfast, but if I am paying 8 euros, I would expect better service and at least the option of choosing what to eat instead of eating what was left over, which wasn't food that I wanted to eat anyway. For the price, I would also expect staff who were interested enough to give me helpful advice on parking, eating, and tourist information. And I would expect wifi access. I would rather have these things than a hotel which looked good on the surface (it had a piano, etc.), but didn't offer some basic services.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank learningitalianat50
Reviewed 20 May 2013

The hotel is well situated in the middle of the small town. The garden is lovely. The style of the hotel is very old world with antique paintings and furniture. My room was nicely furnished but the bathroom was very small and the bath diminutive, unlike other rooms which had substantial facilities. The overall cleanliness was good. However the staff, with one exception, were taciturn and unhelpful. The main problem was the food which was badly prepared and in many cases tinned or frozen, not the fresh ingredients I had expected. They seemed to think that the English wanted chips with everything, badly cooked and never complimenting the dish. They were not prepared to give alternative dishes, especially to vegetarians.

Room Tip: try to go for a room facing the river rather than the square.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I have just returned after staying for four nights at this hotel. Situated in the heart of the town, it provides a good location for exploring the area. Built in the early 20th century, the main room are full of charm and authenticity. Rooms are good and there is a clear sense that the owners have refurbished with care. Food was also good and the staff were most accommodating.

Room Tip: Each room is individual but if you like the river, ask for a river view. However, you will have to listen to the clock striking regularly through the night!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends