Review Highlights
Nice Preserve in Santa Elena

I went to this preserve as I could walk there from my hotel and the entrance fee was $15, while... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
NatureExplorerGal
United States
Senda Monteverde

The staff and service at Senda Monteverde was great. The cabins were comfortable, and the property... read more

Reviewed 27 January 2021
301marianad

Recommended experiences in and around Monteverde
from US$21.17
from US$32.88
from US$51.29
from US$50.26
More Info
All reviews monteverde inn hammock garden night walk night tour beautiful trails sleeping birds hidden valley cloud forest incredible views monteverde reserve jonah permaculture hector nicoya waterfall olingo kinkajou
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 April 2017

We stumbled upon this small piece of heaven and were so lucky to meet the guy who runs the place. He showed us around, taught us about the native wildlife, and was super cool and knowledgeable. Definitely worth stopping by. Super affordable and you see monkeys, birds, and ground mammals in a relatively short amount of time.

Date of experience: December 2016
Reviewed 16 April 2017

Jonah has created an absolute gem in Monteverde. My whole family found this place to be a highlight of our entire 10-day trip.

We visited the preserve during the day and ate at the restaurant. We did not do the night tour or stay at the lodge, though I would if I didn't have friends living in Monteverde!

The trails are well marked and well maintained with benches and viewing platforms at opportune spots. Pick up a map at the office.

The hammock garden was a highlight. Multiple hammocks strung on trees in the dappled and full shade where you can watch the butterflies and birds in their habitat. We saw blue morphos and many other kinds; so much more spectacular to see herein the wild than in the still worthwhile but touristy butterfly garden next door.

The restaurant was delicious. We stopped by for a coco fria before our walk and then had a delicious casado and smoothie for lunch. Jonah and his adorable 3-year-old daughter are everywhere welcoming guests. Come and visit; you will be glad you did.

Date of experience: April 2017
1  Thank BayAreaTraveler68
Reviewed 5 April 2017

Although we did not stay at the lodge (unfortunately), we visited for both the unguided day walk as well as the night walk. The trails are the best we experienced in more than six days, well maintained, clearly marked, and taking us to many scenic highlights. We spotted a troop of capuchin monkeys that were very inquisitive, even pulling my wife's hair when she wasn't watching. Map and signs are great as were the trail descriptions. The hammock garden was a great half-way point for a bit of relaxation.
The night tour was interesting with sleeping bird sightings,agoutis, 'headlight' beatles and a lot of interesting insects, especially the scary tarantula which our guide gently coaxed to the nest entrance. Very informative and the guide was very knowledgeable.
Spoke to the owner and were impressed by environmental commitment which was evident throughout the whole preserve. Highly recommend

2  Thank vaoseditor
Reviewed 25 March 2017 via mobile

I stayed here recently in a trip through Costa Rica. The rooms were clean and the setting is spectacular. As guests, it is free to wander through the trails but you must be out by 4 or 430 pm (I can't remember exactly which) or face a hefty fine. This is so they can charge guests to do a night walk through the cloud forest. I did not do the walk and so cannot comment on the quality. My only complaint about this place was it was impossible to lock the door to my room from the inside as it was a sliding glass door secured by padlock on the outside. It would be a simple fix by putting in the hardware necessary to lock it on the inside using the same padlock. As a single, female traveller it was disconcerting to say the least and it did not feel entirely safe at night for this reason.

1  Thank nomolosvan
Reviewed 8 March 2017 via mobile

The guide Joshua was not enthusiastic and shows us bird who are sitting every night at the same place. We saw raccoons and he told us six times that he hates this animals. It was like to do the minimum till the two hours are gone. Not so spectacular .

2  Thank mika4567