Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Free cancellation until 29/10/21
Orbitz.com
Booking.comUS$81
PricelineUS$81
All reviews tongariro crossing lamb shank bar and restaurant mezzanine room packed lunch open fire rooms are small thin walls two single beds both nights the kitchen electric blankets cooked breakfast hot tub light sleeper spa pool tubs
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 April 2017

We were 5 of us and the room (with the loft) was very basic - I assume there are better motels elsewhere. The shower door cannot be opened/closed without the main bathroom door being opened/closed - you open the shower door and it it is stopped by the bathroom door - you might as well leave the bath room door open while having a shower. It was not the ski season - so the general feel to the place was dead - as can be expected. The location is good as it is close to most attractions. Good for backpackers - would not recommend for families unless it is night stopover.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Mark S, Owner at The Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2018

Reviewed 26 April 2017

I'll start with saying the staff are absolutely fantastic, friendly, helpful and accommodating. We stayed here for 2 nights, before and after doing the crossing. I am giving it 2 stars as the dining area has nice views and there's a hot tub x 2 for relaxing. The rooms are clean, but when you're going to get up early to go on a day's trek, you want to be able to rest. The sound insulation is NON existent here, and I am so annoyed about that neither me or my partner got a good night sleep on either night. You can hear the conversations, laughter, walking, shower, neighbor snoring (YES!) basically ANY NOISE as if people were in your room. I am sorry but if I wanted to stay in a "dorm" I would have booked a dorm accommodation and would have saved some money!

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Mostly fair comment at this point. We have just taken over the place as new owners and have plans for a substantial renovation of the entire complex.

Reviewed 30 March 2017 via mobile

Thought this large hotel would be a great overnight stopping point to break our journey. The sign at the drive in entrance gives it a 3 star rating and while there I also saw it given 4 stars but can't recall where I saw that. The price certainly reflects the room and what it offers. The room was spotlessly clean but very sparse on comfort. Good size fridge but only 4 wee one cup potties of everlasting milk inside it. No water or ice and no ice block mould to make your own. Good size TV but could only get channel one and TV remote wouldn't work. Impossibly small bathroom for two people trying to get showered and dressed for the morning departure. Toiletries were sparse and very basic. Towels were quite adequate. Queen size bed was like sleeping on concrete, and pillows were extremely thin although we got two each. There was no hot point in the bathroom, making hair drying impossible in front of the bathroom mirror. The electric jug would not fit properly under the tap in the bathroom basin making filling the jug very difficult. On the bright side, our meal was nice although a little expensive. Beer and wine was very reasonably priced and all staff were friendly courteous. We found it rather peculiar that we had to pay "up front" when checking in, yet were able to charge our meals and drinks back to the room later in the day! We will not be in a hurry to stay at this hotel again.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Waione2

These guests stayed prior to our ownership. We have just taken over and have plans for a substantial renovation.

Reviewed 28 March 2017 via mobile

The Park Hotel Ruapehu staff and management were wonderful. The weather for the Tongariro Alpine Crossing the following day was predicted to become dangerous from 3pm on at the tops (the red crater). However, they knew many of us only had the one day to do the crossing, and would be disappointed if we could not.

Thus, they opened the buffet breakfast half an hour early (6am), and arranged for a 6:30am shuttle van to get us to the beginning of the trek for a 7am start. This early start ensured all ten of us hiking from the hotel would make it down from the top before the weather became dangerous.

Moreover, when the ten of us called the hotel from Ketetahi Hut having survived the screaming wind, rain, and sleet of the red crater, and asked for an earlier shuttle collection so we could all get our drenched and quite frozen selves (despite excellent Kathmandu etc. tough weather condition tramping/hiking gear) home and dry, management did not hesitate to agree to send the shuttle van two hours earlier than originally planned.

The trek was wild and wondrous (though exhausting, freezing, wet, and severely lacking in visibility), but it paled compared to the magnificence of the hot shower I had at the hotel upon my return. Seldom have I been so grateful for hot water. The spa was good for all of our tired muscles too. It was nice to relax after a very much intrepid adventure through the elements (the wind at the red crater when we crossed was 47-50 kmph and rose in velocity over the course of the day; the rain was 2-3mls - the stinging sleet was so intense for about ten minutes that I wished for a ski balaclava and googles) on a day of about the worst weather the shuttle companies will take groups to the track.

I was very appreciative of the hotel's consideration and care, and their assistance in ensuring that the day went as smoothly as possible, wild weather conditions notwithstanding. I was particularly grateful for their lunch pack - it was a true delight to find the scroggin in my lunch bag at Ketetahi Hut - I am sure the chocolate helped me feel warmer.

All up, my fiancé and I would award 5/5 for The Park Hotel Ruapehu, and recommend it to anyone. The room was sweet, welcoming, lovely, and perfect for two. There were two electric blankets, a heater, a small fridge, and a kettle that hilariously could not be filled from the bathroom tap. The spa was lovely and open very sociable hours - 7am - 8pm I believe - and the restaurant served excellent quality food at reasonable prices - the fish 'n' chips in particular were excellent. The quality of the buffet breakfast was excellent, and the staff could not have been more helpful or friendlier. It was truly an amazing stay. Thank you The Park Hotel Ruapehu.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for this excellent and informative review which I'm sure other intending travellers will find useful.

Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

As I said, it's just a warm place to rest during the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. The hotel overall is very nice, all made in wood, but the rooms are a bit small. There is the possibility to cook your own food in a common kitchen, and I liked this because it makes you save some money. There is a free open-air spa, so I suggest you to bring a swimsuit. The catering service is very good, but expensive. The best thing about the hotel is the offer of bus trips to the start of the crossing.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
MarkS12388, Owner at The Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2019

This reviewer stayed prior to current management & ownership. The hotel has since had a comprehensive upgrade and renovation.