“Great Mountain Farm Horse Trekking”

Magic Mountain Horse Treks
Reviewed 26 April 2015

My wife and I drove there and It's our first time to Raglan and we realised the road leading to this place, which is located at the top of a hill (about 380m above sea level), was rather bumpy and narrow. Once we reached, we realized this was not an ordinary sight as the place truly offered something different.

We met the owner, Marcus, and immediately he got us ready with our horses. At a glance, the facility was simple. However, once we got on our horses, we realized the ride would offer us something different in terms of the sight and farm setting. As we looked around, the views were spectacular and filled with beautiful rolling hills and farm animals such as sheeps and cows. Along the way, we also saw a couple of rabbits running in the wild.

I was quite worried initially as the horse tend to walk right on the edge of slopes but after a while, i got used to it. Marcus taught us a few basics of riding and i guess from there, we were able to trust the horse better.

Some of the slopes were quite steep and challenging but it was fun. It's also my first time riding through the farms with sheeps and cows right next to us, which was quite an experience. The views were simply spectacular!

Towards the end, Marcus gave our horses a chance to trot or canter at a flat plain but unfortunately, my horse wasn't too responsive to my instructions, but i still managed to have a brief experience with that.

All in all, i wasn't too satisfied with my horse though as it appeared to be tired, slow and not very responsive to my instructions.

Overall, we had a great time and satisfied with the ride at a Farm setting. However, personally, i felt that i would have enjoyed it more if Marcus had got me a better horse on the day. Besides, i felt that Marcus could perhaps have done better on his instructions to make us a better rider, as some of his instructions were rather too short and simple.

The ride finished in 2 hours and for a fee of NZD$80 only, it's good value for money.

1  Thank TravelSensation
Reviewed 10 January 2015

The stables were situated at the top of a rather steep hill especially for a campervan but we managed! It was an adventurous drive with lovely views on the way. We had a wonderful 2hr trek over the hills and journeyed through lovely unspoiled countryside, we saw all sorts of animals among the rolling hills, cows, sheep, pukekoes, fantails and turkeys. Marcus our trek leader was very cautious and took great care of us as there was a mixture of ability levels among the riders. The horses were active and calm. We had a lovely sunny day ideal for a trek. Marcus explained a lot about the natural environment as we went along. We finished reaching the top of a hillside that had spectacular views. A lovely a day out!