Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews roast dinner wilderness trail keep an open mind thanks mike enjoy the experience wholesome food interesting stay sunny deck long ride hot shower entertaining host e bikes toast and spreads guests staying cold beer wood pigeon torrential rain
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 December 2021 via mobile

We arrived after a solid day on the bike, traveling through some incredible country. We hadn’t done any homework on what to expect at Cowboy Paradise so were a bit taken aback when we arrived 10mins earlier than our scheduled arrival time (2 pm) and were promptly advised of this by Mike! However this was quickly forgotten about as we settled into a lively and entertaining afternoon over a few well deserved beers with this colorful character and a couple of Mikes friends popping in for a beer and to add to the story telling and hilarity.

We were the only people staying at this amazing place overlooking the Arahura River valley and enjoyed some quiet time on the outside deck in the late afternoon sunshine while Mike prepared tea.

After a great meal of roast vegetables and meat “just how grandma made it” and some discussion on farming, we were treated to a farm tour which was again entertaining and enlightening.

Thanks again Mike for our best night on the track, hope to be back soon to see how things are progressing.

Date of stay: December 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tarnwillans
Reviewed 26 November 2021

This is my second visit to cowboy paradise, I wanted to bring my wife to enjoy the wilderness trail @nd especially Mike the host. Nothing disappointed, the accommodation was clean tidy and modern. The roast dinner was perfect after a hard ride. Mike as always entertained us with his strong views and intelligent conversation. This is such a great experience staying here and if you don’t you will truly miss out on one of the gems of the trail. Mike can be blunt but he is working hard to provide his guests with good fare and accommodation.

Date of stay: November 2021
1  Thank Glen J
Reviewed 26 September 2021

We shot over to the West Coast for the weekend during level 2 covid from Christchurch. Had heard about the place from a member in my adventure group re the stripper poles. Read reviews. Thought it'd be a good giggle to meet this obnoxious individual. I said to my partner be good challenge to see if I can charm the man.

About 500m from Cowboy Paradise we enounted a Ford Ranger coming the other way. The driver stopped and with a big smile said where are you going ? I said to your place. (I recognised him from photos off the internet)
Surprisingly he said "I'll just cross the bridge and turn my truck around and follow you back up."

He unlocked the Saloon especially for us, we had some beers in the car so over a few beers we had intelligent stimulating conversation with Mike.
My partner is from the Philippines and Mike was very interested in her culture,
Was a gentlemen how he was patient making allowances for the language barrier.

I'm not a fan of the Confederate Flag but lack of tolerance aided in it existing in the first place.

During our conversation Mike made the valid point that if you're not authentic people in time spot it. It's refreshing in this PC world to have someone that is authentic just being themself wearing their heart on their sleeve.

Some of the reviews seem to bfrom people that are used to
staying in the Hilton and the like. No WIFI, No EFTPOS - did they not notice the rangers ? What expense would satellite internet cost in such a location that actually worked ?
Clay pigeon shooting - it fits the theme of Cowboy Paradise.

I think Mike probably clashes with the "Corporate" type mountain bikers. I have biked with many and found most to have a robotic sheep mentality - no doubt boring, not to be respected by a man like my Mike who thinks outside of the square.

We left after several hours as Mike had to do poacher patrol. (What he was on his way to do when we encountered him) When we drove out I said to my partner it has reinforced. "Don't believe everything you read".

Was the highlight of our trip, thanks Mike for your hospitality - it meant a lot to us!

All the best for the future Mike.

Cheers Luna and Malcolm

Date of stay: September 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terrano_27
Reviewed 2 May 2021

We stayed here one night whilst doing the west coast wilderness cycle trail and really appreciated the wonderful location and unique environment. Mike ( the owner and host) was a very welcoming ,(contrary to some reviews) and we were very comfortable and well fed. This place would be awesome for a special occasion like a stag/hen do, a 21st, an anniversary. It is a truly unique experience.

Date of stay: May 2021
1  Thank Alwaysonholday
Reviewed 28 April 2021

I mucked up our booking but didn't realise this until we (3 couples) arrived wet and cold on Easter Saturday. The place was booked out. Mike had phoned 10+ places in Hokitika prior to our arrival but all were full. He then contacted some friends who were to stay in the Cowboys family unit and suggested they delay a day. A crisis was averted. I have the utmost praise for him and the delicious roast meal was a huge bonus.

Date of stay: April 2021