All reviews coach trip coach party executive room national holidays restaurant staff buffet style evening meal self service walk in shower good nights sleep stayed here for one night from start to finish bed was very comfortable wedding reception car park tea and coffee following morning
Reviewed 1 September 2016

Stayed at this hotel three times,the staff are so friendly and helpful,nothing is too much trouble for them...the rooms are just right,lovely powerful shower,and comfy bed..everywhere was clean and tidy.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank lphillips9
SarahB190729, Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2016

Dear Iphillips.

Thank you for your feed back. I am pleased my team made your stay enjoyable.
I hope that we can welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2016

The Coach driver said when he dropped us off - dinner from 6.30pm - This actually meant at 6.30 or nothing, which is what we got. Came down for dinner after refreshing ourselves to find scraps left and a cook/chef with attitude and a manager who could not be bothered to talk to us. What a shambles, they said they had been busy with a birthday and a wedding - were short staffed - and one member of staff who had walked out on them. I am not suprised, I would have walked out if I could have. For a professional outfit with national advertising this was a disgrace by any strech of the imagination. Customer service was 0 (zero) Will never go back. And as for the tour operator, they need to vet their hotels otherwise they will also loose business.

Room tip: Don't go if you can help it
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank STEPHEN H
SarahB190729, Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2016

Dear StephenH.
I am very sorry to hear that you experienced issues. The allocated time for the tour was 6.30pm this allows the team to make sure that all of the group are served at the same time. I am very sorry that the driver may have given you incorrect information.
The menu that we provided for the tour was refreshed up until 7.45pm.
I have spoken with my Chef and I understand that my she allowed several of the trip that arrived after 7.45pm to order from the restaurant menu.
I will discuss your issues raised with the team, I am also not aware of any of the team working out so I will look into this.

Reviewed 29 August 2016 via mobile

Visited here as part of a National holidays weekend. Nice sized clean room with a comfortable bed. Bathroom good with a large shower you just walk into, no doors to close. Staff were really friendly and helpful and the food was very good, with a great selection for breakfast. Saw some guests with dogs so obviously a dog friendly hotel. Our room was clean and the hotel wifi was good.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank eileenflux

Thank you for you five star review.
I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay. We are always pleased to welcome National Holiday guests along with the many other tour groups that stay at Leeds-Wakefield.

Reviewed 29 August 2016 via mobile

I visited this holiday in for a close friends wedding reception. Firstly when I arrived I had to walk through a cloud of smoke at the main doors as no smoking area was designated for those who smoke, no directions or indication as to where the wedding reception was other than a table of drinks. When in the room which smrlt like feet, the bar was under stocked as the first couple of things I asked for were out of stock, when coming to pay for the ridiculously overpriced drinks I was informed that card payment wasn't taken, 2016 and not taking card payments in such a main stream line of hotels I find quite unbelievable, bar staff was hardly ever in bar and often had to be shouted from the back and the one time that more than one of the bar staff was present they were watching one of the guests nervously perform her first public cabaret act and ridiculing them and shamelessly judging her. Obviously this is disgusting behaviour for the hotel staff who should be trained to act professional no matter the circumstances.
No toilet facilities near to the room but through the main hotel reception area, quite an inconvenience for the elder party guests especially those with walking difficulties. No notice the food buffet was open, undercooked chicken, over cooked finger foods and very dry / borderline stale bread.
No call for last orders, again leaving the guests shocked of something that should have been broadcast by the DJ.
I think all in all the way the hotel staff have dealt with the event is shocking for a big company. I'd hate to be the events manager that has to deal with the call from my friends whose wedding reception wasn't everything they had hoped for.
I'm not really one for leaving negative feedback unless it really deserves negativity. This was by far the most shambolic hotel event I have visited, it's just fortunate for the bride and groom that they have such loving family and friends that made the evening it was without no real contribution from the hotel staff.
On a good note, the DJ was good and played a good selection of music which acted for all guests.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank JonnyF1983
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2016

Dear JonnyF1983,

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our hotel. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

On arrival to our wedding reception venue at 5.15pm we found what was left of a 90th birthday party which had just finished. The room which the adjacent was still set up from the previous days conference. A very patronising girl kept saying don't worry, don't worry. The main room smelt like death and had to insist that the windows were opened and so the room was prepared for our wedding reception. There is no designated smoking facility and so our guests had to run the gauntlet through the cigarette smoke directly outside the reception. A piece of what i can only discribe as "red rag" had been placed on the floor which was later found to be the red carpet. There wasnt any staff handing out the bucks fizz so it was just abandoned on the table by the red rag There were no announcements to say the buffet was ready and it was by sheer luck one of the wedding guests noticed the adjacent rooms doors were open with the food out. When we went for food we found that the buffet wasn't the one we had ordered (to be honest the quality of the food was shocking) so when we confronted the duty manager he didn't have much information. Now i have always been led to believe that an "events manager" ran the "event" and so how suprised we were to find out that the "events manager" didn't work weekends or after 3pm. Plus there were no announcements to say "last orders please" On a whole my wife and I feel we have been let down by Wakefield holiday inn express and strongly advise wedding couples to give this place a wide berth. One last thing, we had what was described as the "executive" room, I would hate to see the "normal" rooms if this is the best they have !!!

Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank uss-titan
SarahB190729, Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2016

I am a little disappointed by some of your comments in regard to your recent wedding.
Your initial contract was made with the hotel and signed on the 04/01/2016 which clearly shows that the room was booked from 7.30pm, it also shows your agreed menu with the hotel.
I understand that the Operations Manager spoke with you on the telephone on Sunday 28th August and explained that your issues would be investigated on Tuesday 30th of August due to it being a Bank Holiday Weekend and that the events team were not in the hotel until that date.