Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews snapper hot springs food was great friendly hosts enjoyed our stay studio unit fishing trip amazing views other guests awesome location took advantage fantastic stay lovely setting get away beautiful bay great hospitality many times
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 January 2021

We stay at the lodge for 5 nights. We enjoyed our stay. The lodge is just by the sea. The view is magnificent. We stayed in the cottage. The room was clean, quiet and spacious. It is near the DOC Green Campsite. There are a few easy walking tracks for our 4 years old daughter. The restaurant on site had delicious food with generous portions. The owners of the lodge were friendly.

Date of stay: January 2021
2  Thank susannaLnz
Angeline Young, Owner at Great Barrier Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2021

Thank you Susanna. We are blessed to live in such a gorgeous place to live.

Reviewed 20 January 2021

Spent 2 nights at this lodge as part of 3 day package on the island. Accomodation was lovely and clean, although easy to hear other guests snoring through the walls. Food in the restaurant was absolutely superb with fresh snapper being served each day prepared magnificently. Owners son was a real character and a great addition to the staff at the restaurant - he will go a long way and had us ordering their special dessert with freeze dried pineapple lumps in a chocolate brulee - so rich and tasty. Only comment would be as we had bought a package that didn't leave Auckland till 10am and had a 7hr walk that day then drive to the Lodge to find they would be shutting the kitchen in 5 mins we almost missed out on the only place to each in the bay that night. Maybe a bit more communication between the Barrier operator booking these packages, the Lodge and the clients would be beneficial. Fortunately we were given an extra 5 minutes to clean up and get to the restaurant. On the second night we preordered our means when they opened at 5pm so we knew we wouldn't be disappointed later on at dinner. All in all a fabulous meal at reasonable prices and a fabulous spot to stay for a few days. Gluten Free options were well marked on the menu.

Room tip: Get a room on the end of the block of 3 so less chance of hearing heavy snorers through the walls, there is no AC in rooms we had.
Date of stay: January 2021
Reviewed 18 November 2020

I had phoned this place a fortnight prior to our visit and booked a table for two for my wife's 70th birthday as this fell during our stay in a bach on the island. I made the booking after receiving a strong recommendation from a local as the 'best place on the island' for a celebration meal. All this was explained to the person who took the reservation. I provided a cell phone number which the receptionist wrote down. At lunch time on the said date I phoned the venue to confirm a time of arrival, only to be told with that it was now not suitable for us to come as they had already booked 25 'noisy' (ex?) rugby players and would be serving only barbecue food and curry. I suggested we come earlier in the evening but was basically given the 'don't come' message in very heavy hints. The venue said they had phoned the day before and left a message, but on checking the number they admitted they had dialled a '0' instead of a '6', hence no message reached me. Anyone aware of dining out on Great Barrier Island will know that options are limited. We had already been to the other two reputable restaurants on the island. Oh well, we can recommend the takeaway salads and quiche available at a lovely little cafe called My Fat Puku in the township of Claris. And less driving to get there as well.

Date of stay: November 2020

Murray, I'm sorry for your disappointment but I was caught between a rock and a hard place. You were still welcome to come for lunch or dinner I was just making you aware that if a quiet relaxed meal for a celebration was what you were wanting the other guests that we had staying were very loud and I did not want you to have a bad experience. Yes, our food is the best on the island and I'm sorry you did not get to experience that. Again, I'm sorry.

Reviewed 7 November 2020 via mobile

After a not so pleasant two night stay elsewhere on the Island arriving at the lodge on a beautiful sunny afternoon was a real relief. A lovely bay so sheltered and quiet. We swam off the wharf and from a little stoney bay just out from the lodge. The room we had was studio shared deck area facing the water. It was clean and well appointed. The hosts and restaurant staff were stunning such authentic service genuinely happy to make us happy. Get overseas kiwis and visit our local Island and soak up quintessential kiwi.

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2020 via mobile

Wow what an outlook from the deck! The lodge is in an awesome location and the rooms had stunning views. Rooms were very nice and clean and had everything we needed. Food was beautifully presented and the service from the younger members of staff was friendly and genuine.

Only real grumble was not being told rooms weren't serviced daily nor fresh towels provided which could have been avoided if we had been told this upon arrival

Date of stay: October 2020