Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews snapper hot springs food was great friendly hosts enjoyed our stay studio unit fishing trip amazing views other guests awesome location took advantage fantastic stay lovely setting get away beautiful bay great hospitality many times
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 November 2020

I had phoned this place a fortnight prior to our visit and booked a table for two for my wife's 70th birthday as this fell during our stay in a bach on the island. I made the booking after receiving a strong recommendation from a local as the 'best place on the island' for a celebration meal. All this was explained to the person who took the reservation. I provided a cell phone number which the receptionist wrote down. At lunch time on the said date I phoned the venue to confirm a time of arrival, only to be told with that it was now not suitable for us to come as they had already booked 25 'noisy' (ex?) rugby players and would be serving only barbecue food and curry. I suggested we come earlier in the evening but was basically given the 'don't come' message in very heavy hints. The venue said they had phoned the day before and left a message, but on checking the number they admitted they had dialled a '0' instead of a '6', hence no message reached me. Anyone aware of dining out on Great Barrier Island will know that options are limited. We had already been to the other two reputable restaurants on the island. Oh well, we can recommend the takeaway salads and quiche available at a lovely little cafe called My Fat Puku in the township of Claris. And less driving to get there as well.

Date of stay: November 2020
Angeline Young, Owner at Great Barrier Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2021

Murray, I'm sorry for your disappointment but I was caught between a rock and a hard place. You were still welcome to come for lunch or dinner I was just making you aware that if a quiet relaxed meal for a celebration was what you were wanting the other guests that we had staying were very loud and I did not want you to have a bad experience. Yes, our food is the best on the island and I'm sorry you did not get to experience that. Again, I'm sorry.

Reviewed 7 November 2020 via mobile

After a not so pleasant two night stay elsewhere on the Island arriving at the lodge on a beautiful sunny afternoon was a real relief. A lovely bay so sheltered and quiet. We swam off the wharf and from a little stoney bay just out from the lodge. The room we had was studio shared deck area facing the water. It was clean and well appointed. The hosts and restaurant staff were stunning such authentic service genuinely happy to make us happy. Get overseas kiwis and visit our local Island and soak up quintessential kiwi.

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2020 via mobile

Wow what an outlook from the deck! The lodge is in an awesome location and the rooms had stunning views. Rooms were very nice and clean and had everything we needed. Food was beautifully presented and the service from the younger members of staff was friendly and genuine.

Only real grumble was not being told rooms weren't serviced daily nor fresh towels provided which could have been avoided if we had been told this upon arrival

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leah G
Reviewed 17 October 2020

We selected the Lodge for a quiet R & R short stay and were welcomed and hosted by Angeline and Clive who understood and we were treated royally beyond our expectations.
Delightful accommodation and excellent restaurant.
The peace and quiet , surrounded by magnificent native bush with harbor views were refreshing.
A lot of local history in this harbor from whaling, timber industry, fishing and even some mining were of great interest.
Recommend you visit.

Reviewed 10 October 2020

We stayed on a boat in Whangaparapara Harbour to join family who were staying at the lodge. The setting was very relaxing and a nice spot for kids to play on the lawn. Easy to tie up the dinghy to the wharf a short walk away. We ate at the lodge - great food. One night they even cooked up our filleted snapper catch for us. Small store for supplies and bait. Kauri falls 30 min walk away is a nice waterfall pool to swim in. Great place to call in on the boat.

Date of stay: October 2020
Angeline Young, Owner at Great Barrier Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2020

Thanks so much for your lovely review. We aim for everyone to leave wanting to come back and enjoy our amazing slice of paradise!