All reviewsperfect place to staylovely place to relaxgreat barrierthoroughly enjoyed our staywent out of her wayfionacarsunithostferryshuttleskyhasslegardenweekendaccommodationescape
Reviewed 17 February 2018

Such a delightful place to stay put if you wish or walk/drive to the end of the road where the beautiful bay greats you. The manager is a lovely Scottish lady named "Fiona" who went out of her way to make us feel welcome. The gardens are stunning and there are friendly free range chooks. We will definitely recommend and return. Thankyou Fiona.

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed 18 January 2018

This was our first ever visit to Great Barrier and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Aotea Lodge. We stayed in the compact Unit 3 which was clean, well equipped and quiet.
The point of difference was the owner - Fiona. She constantly went beyond the call of duty, organizing shuttles, rentals, flights, ferries and providing accurate information about where to eat, what to do and see and how to get there! We arrived just ahead of a storm and needed to make many changes - coming a day early, flying instead of waiting for the postponed ferry - all arranged by Fiona and all without hassle or drama.
As experienced international travelers, her standard of hosting is at the highest level.

Room Tip: Power on Great Barrier is solar so no hair dryers or microwaves can be used. This apartment has no tv and wifi and 4g a little intermittent. But this is the nature of the experience. The room is tight but cosy. We loved our time at Aotea Lodge and will be back!
Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Murray C
Aotealodge628, Owner at Aotea Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2018

Hi Murray

Thank you for your amazing review.

It was lovely to meet you both and it is great that you enjoyed the island and your stay at the lodge.

Arranging the travel for my guests is something I really enjoy doing. It is important that visitors have an enjoyable and memorable trip to the island as well as a pleasant stay at the lodge. Visitors planning their trip may not be aware of all the options available to them and can find information inaccurate or out of date. I have all the up to date details on flights and ferries and we have our own rental cars at the lodge for guests to use. It is therefore easy for me to arrange the best travel options for my guests.

Thanks again for choosing to stay at Aotea Lodge.

Regards

Fiona

Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

My friends and I booked one of their family cottages for 4 days and 3 nights. It was a perfect and relaxing place. I was able to meditate in the morning and most of the afternoon, just listening to the buzzing of the bees, the rustling of the leaves and gentle wind. The bathroom is really clean (I think it's newly refurbished?) and the whole place is surprisingly warm. The small kitchenette is complete (no microwave oven but that's alright!) with the gas burner and pans and plates etc. Fiona is very friendly and accommodating, she really looks after the place and her guests especially! If given the chance, I'll book this place again and again and again! Did I say it's near Pah beach? :) PERFECT!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank neekeesnaps
Reviewed 13 June 2017

Fiona arranged our flights, car rental and accommodation making it so easy to book a great holiday weekend within days of travelling. The room was cozy and tidy and close to restaurants and great nightlife as well as close to the airport and easy access to the best places to visit on the Barrier. Fiona was so friendly and helpful and I would highly recommend booking a stay at Aotea Lodge. Great price for a comfy place to stay.

Room Tip: Three lodges to choose from. One with Lounge and kitchen, we booked the room and kitchenette and another with 4 bunks and master room.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2017 via mobile

Located in a gorgeous area, close to everything, lovely clean, spacious accommodation. Fiona is a great host, friendly & goes out of her way to help you. If you are wanting somewhere comfortable yo syay, this is it Even has cars to hire! Would highly recommend

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family