All reviewsperfect place to staylovely place to relaxgreat barrierthoroughly enjoyed our staywent out of her wayfionacarsunithostferryshuttleskyhasslegardenweekendaccommodationescape
Reviewed 26 March 2014

A lovely, quiet and peaceful place to stay. Fiona is so helpful and friendly and the units are very clean, tidy, fully equipped and comfortable. So close to shops, beach and restaurants too. Would love to stay again sometime.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Aotea Lodge. We found the chalet comfortable and clean. Fiona Green the proprietor was very nice and endlessly helpful with her advice about life on the island and things to do. I had only visited the island as a teenager with 2 mates from Sunnyvale, West Auckland. I'm now 58 and have lived in England for 38 years ! I get back to West Auckland every 2 years to see the family. On this occasion I treated my French Caribbean partner who was making her 3rd visit to NZ to a special treat on Greta Barrier. She wasn't disappointed. The Barrier hasn't lost its charms. Now there are sealed roads between the main locations but still enough unsealed roads to hang the back end of a car out, just a tiny amount, around the corners. Some things just don't change! We intend returning for a bit longer next time. Highly recommended. John and Nicole

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2014

What a beautiful island and perfect place to stay! My boyfriend and I stayed at Aotea Lodge for two nights as part of the great package including flights and car hire this March and loved it.

The flight alone was worth the money, providing stunning views on the way over and the lodge was homely, cosy and a brilliant base to explore the island from. Although we were a bit wary of the slightly older hire car at first, it was ideal for our needs and did a grand job of getting round the windy rural roads with ease.

Fiona was a fantastic host and always there to offer advice about the best spots and how to get there. We had an amazing meal at the Irish Pub - just a 5 min walk away - too which was a perfect end to thge idyllic escape. Thoroughly recommend.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We had the most excellent stay with Fiona on GBI At Aotea Lodge. She went out of her way to organise our fishing trip and change of flights were no problem. Very comfortable accommodation
extra clean and fiona is very welcoming.This was a quick getaway for my husband and I.We would recommend a great stay at the lodge and very handy to Tryfina. Cheers.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Fiona was extremely helpful with initial booking enquiries and even moreso when we arrived and met her. Aotea Lodge is incredibly clean and tidy, spacious and very well equipped. Full kitchen equipped for 6, nice bathroom, fresh quality linen, comfortable bed ~ great.
'Greenie' met us at Claris airport with a nifty little rental car. Perfect for our tripping around GBI which is a truely relaxing, beautiful, picturesque paradise. Crystal clear waters, prestine beaches with hardly a sole to be seen. Great walks, excellent tracks.
Food on GBI is delicious and generous portions.
A wonderful place for a relaxing, quiet get-away.
Thoroughly recommend Aotea Lodge, GBI Rentals, Fly-My-Sky and GBI in general.
Thank you Fiona & Greenie.
[Ross & Noeline ~ Pokeno]

Room Tip: Family room had resident Tui on the flax bush outside lounge window. Beautiful and quite a 'show-off'.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple