All reviews courtyard room cream tea blenheim palace few issues short break two night stay main building room was large first morning wedding party shower head an evening meal visit oxford minute drive stayed here for two nights couple of nights a lovely stay
Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

Just spent a two night break here which included dinner on the first night (up to £25 per person not including drinks) 2 tickets to Blenheim Palace, a cream tea and breakfast each morning. The hotel is very handy, being just off the motorway. Check in was easy enough and we were asked if we wanted our cream tea right away, as we were late arriving we declined and were told we could take it the next day if we wished. We booked a table for dinner for 8 o clock then made our way up to the room. The room was huge and overlooked a field, very nice. The bathroom again was large and had various toiletries provided, shower gel, shampoo, soap and shower cap. A bath towel and hand towel was in the bathroom, the others were in the wardrobe! This is a particular bug bear of mine, towels go in the bathroom, not on the bed or wardrobe! Dinner was ok, I had pork loin that was presented in the strangest way I’ve ever seen. Fellas steak was nice and he had ice cream for desert. Anyway, back to the room,the bed was comfy and we would have had a great nights sleep but the walls were so thin and the connecting door meant every cough, sneeze and snore could be heard. Breakfast was fine, wasn’t particularly keen on the bacon, very anaemic looking but there was plenty of choice, on the first morning. The second morning was a different story, although we were a little later going for breakfast, there were no plates, beans, white bread or marmalade. I did ask for bread but none materialised. No matter, I wasn’t exactly going hungry! Our visit to Blenheim Palace was lovely and took up the whole day so yet again we missed our cream tea. We had to go back to reception 3 times as our key wouldn’t work. The following morning we found that we had only been left one towel by housekeeping! On check out we were told we had some “extras” to pay, we were expecting this,four martinis with dinner. However what we didn’t expect was the bill £32 odd!! For four martinis I don’t think so. We were met with a blank look when I disputed this so I grabbed the drinks menu and showed the gentleman the price, £2.80 each!!! So please check your bill on leaving! All in all a lovely stay just little niggly things.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank browncow71
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

Although a good 1/2 hour from Oxford this is an excellent hotel for a short break. The staff are very friendly and helpful. We had a lovely tea when we arrived then dinner on the first night, the food was varied and above average. Rooms were spacious and clean. I even tried the gym which had modern equipment.
Breakfast was a large range and delicious.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank pmeb1425
Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

Friends had a party here so we booked to stay along with many other guests.
Room wasn’t particularly clean, stained towels, peeling paint work....and although they knew we were a family of four we only had a double bed; nothing for the the other members of the party- no spare towels or pillows. (We were aware that they didn’t have a family room left so we brought our own blow up bed and sleeping bags).
Food was ok, service was terrible though; when I asked for a glass of water the waiter was totally unhelpful and it took of lot of probing from me to get a glass of tap water to take to my room for the kids!!
Sorry but they really need to buck their ideas up and renovate.
The party was great however!!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

I needed a place to stay near the M40 and this is a good location. The size of the bedroom was excellent and the bed and pillows were among the most comfortable I have experienced. I had to ask the helpful receptionist to bring me the TV remote control, which she did with efficiency. But, breakfast was a shambles. The staff are either untrained or disinterested and there are not enough of them. Tables were not cleared and wiped; food was not bring replenished on the buffet table; I was not offered tea or coffee when I sat down. I paid over £140 for this experience. It was poor value and a let-down for Mercure and the Accor Group, for which I have the greatest respect.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank Sally S
Reviewed 18 August 2018

the hotel was fine, but meal times were a bit of a disaster. Meals took ages to arrive, if it means its freshly cooked I can deal with that, however, sometimes part of the meal would be cold. Never seemed to have a problem free evening meal the 3 nights we stayed.

Room Tip: the rooms facing the field at the rear of the hotel are lovely
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business