All reviews amazing place food was amazing private bathroom aizu wakamatsu sato privacy luggage tourists culture japan facilities case meals ryokan higashiyama baths onsen
Reviewed 4 July 2018 via mobile

The staff here are top notch and were the best part of the stay. The food was interesting. The inn is quite expensive but is probable worth it to those who value a traditional ryokan experience and Japanese history (such as the inn’s relationship with Dr. Noguchi). Pay extra for a room with a garden view if you splurge to stay here.

Stayed: July 2018
Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

we spent two nights in this amazing place as we wanted to live an authentic japanese ryokan experience and due to travel plans had to be near Aizu-Wakamatsu

the complex of buildings is very nice, polished wood everywhere, elegant decoration and the entrance takes you to several corridors that provide access to the different onsens, rooms, the garden, and so, very calm and silent atmosphere

it's located out of Aizu-Wakamatsu but there is a cheap circular bus every half an hour, if you are sightseeing there is a one-day ticket which saves a few hundred yens

the room in traditional style is big compared to modern (and cheaper) hotels but a little bit worn out, and it had a private bathroom but no shower, you have to go to the onsen, which is magnificent, anyway

you sleep and eat in your room, they take care of preparing the table and then the beds every night and morning

they serve breakfast and dinner, a large collection of delicious dishes, although some non-japanese guests might not be very comfortable eating fish for breakfast, not my case, though, the food was excellent, just an important detail, you have to pay for beer or sodas

the staff was very attentive and kind, communicating in poor english (like ours), but enough to decide when to have dinner and breakfast, they were very friendly and asked us about our city (Barcelona) and language (Catalan)

it's very expensive compared to our average spending in hotels but it's definitely worth an experience

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JMAbcn
Reviewed 17 April 2018 via mobile

This ryokan is very beautiful and oldest Japanese style in this area, Easy to come here especially by public bus, all staffs are friendly and helpfully. Room and Onsen bath are clean and clear, Dinner and breakfast they are serve in our room. That is good.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2017

I had a great stay at Mukaitaki 2 weeks ago. I first chose this ryokan when I was looking around for an onsen to visit because I fell in love with its history and how gorgeous it looked on pictures. Despite of feeling trepidation about the fact that most of the rooms have no private shower room, I went ahead and made a reservation. This ryokan proved to be the highlight of my 2-week trip to Japan.

As other reviewers have said, Aizu-Wakamatsu is a bit out of the way. From Tokyo I took a Tohoku Yamabiko Shinkansen to Koriyama (about 1 and a half hour train ride), and then changed to a local train heading to Aizu Wakamatsu (about 1 hour 20 mins ride). The view along the way is marvelous! Mountain range and sweeping view of rice fields..
The tourist information office at Aizu-Wakamatsu provides a free-of-charge, same-day luggage delivery service for tourists staying at ryokan/hotel at Higashiyama onsen. This is a good service for tourists wanting to go sightseeing before checking-in into their accommodation. I gave the name and address of my accommodations to the staff, drop off my luggage with them and off I went sightseeing around town.
For tourists on public transport, the classic town bus make a stop at Higashiyama onsen. Again, ask the staff at the tourist information office for the timetable. If in doubt over when to get off the bus, tell the bus driver where you're heading and they'll tell you when you've reached your stop.

When I reached Mukaitaki, they had staff waiting outside the ryokan ready to greet arriving guests. They ran over across the bridge greeting me by name! Obviously I was the only non-japanese guest staying over that night. But still, it's a very good service. Check-in was fast and efficient. My bag was already waiting for me, and a staff (Mr Sato) was assigned to show me to my room and explain the available facilities. I have to say that very limited English is spoken in this ryokan.

My room is beautiful, clean, comfortable with a very good view of the garden. Keeping in mind that this is a 100+ years old building, certain wear and tear are obvious, but it's well cared for. There is no lifts/escalators, so make sure to inform them beforehand if you have troubles with stairs. I believe they have some rooms on ground level.

The meals are made of ingredients that are historically available locally, so they are pretty simple and austere. I have to admit that some of the ryokan that I've stayed at before had more innovative and lavish food. However, despite of how they looked, those simple dishes sure were tasty. Some of the recipe had been handed down for more than a hundred years.

There are 3 private baths where you could lock the door for privacy, and 2 shared baths for every gender. I had fun trying out the different baths !

I would definitely recommend Mukaitaki to people interested in the hot spring culture, with a dash of history and fantastic service on the side. However, please keep in mind that this is a 140+ years old building and adjust your expectation accordingly. That being said, I enjoyed my stay very much and as I got back from my trip, all I could think of was that I wish I were back at Mukaitaiki.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
5  Thank Gracia83
Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

Mukaitaki is a traditional Ryokan located in the North of Japan in Fukushima prefecture and will appeal to those who prefer the pass less travelled.

For me, Mukaitaki was (easily) my most memorable stay in Japan. From the arrival greeting, where almost every member of staff greets you, to our departure where similarly you're waved off by a myriad of Mukaitaki well wishers, the experience at Mukaitaki was nothing short of amazing and could not possibly disappoint even the most discerning of travellers.

Mukaitaki is essentially a traditional Ryokan which (of course) boasts several Onsens, and the beauty of which you'll at most times have to yourself. Now, if you're like most westerners who really aren't use to, or comfortable with nude-ing up around perfect strangers, Mukaitaki offers 3 private Onsen rooms which are equally amazing.

Shortly after arrival we were greeted by several members of staff confirming any special requirements we might have, and our preferred dining times for breakfast and dinner. At meal times we were ushered to a private room and served traditional Japanese degustations, so you needn't worry about going hungry.

Another nice touch was the traditional Japanese green tea and sweets served late afternoon.

The Mukaitaki staff will also be on hand at anytime (24/7) to assist you with just about anything you require, most of whom are reasonably versed in English.

There are numerous more moderately priced traditional Ryokans in Japan, but few would offer the experience that awaits you at Mukaitaki, the memories of which will stay with you for a lifetime...

Special thanks to Natsumi (san), Inoue (san) and Sato (san) and all the dedicated Mukaitaki members of staff.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends