All reviews amazing place food was amazing private bathroom aizu wakamatsu sato privacy luggage tourists culture japan facilities case meals ryokan higashiyama baths onsen
Reviewed 17 April 2018 via mobile

This ryokan is very beautiful and oldest Japanese style in this area, Easy to come here especially by public bus, all staffs are friendly and helpfully. Room and Onsen bath are clean and clear, Dinner and breakfast they are serve in our room. That is good.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2017

I had a great stay at Mukaitaki 2 weeks ago. I first chose this ryokan when I was looking around for an onsen to visit because I fell in love with its history and how gorgeous it looked on pictures. Despite of feeling trepidation about the fact that most of the rooms have no private shower room, I went ahead and made a reservation. This ryokan proved to be the highlight of my 2-week trip to Japan.

As other reviewers have said, Aizu-Wakamatsu is a bit out of the way. From Tokyo I took a Tohoku Yamabiko Shinkansen to Koriyama (about 1 and a half hour train ride), and then changed to a local train heading to Aizu Wakamatsu (about 1 hour 20 mins ride). The view along the way is marvelous! Mountain range and sweeping view of rice fields..
The tourist information office at Aizu-Wakamatsu provides a free-of-charge, same-day luggage delivery service for tourists staying at ryokan/hotel at Higashiyama onsen. This is a good service for tourists wanting to go sightseeing before checking-in into their accommodation. I gave the name and address of my accommodations to the staff, drop off my luggage with them and off I went sightseeing around town.
For tourists on public transport, the classic town bus make a stop at Higashiyama onsen. Again, ask the staff at the tourist information office for the timetable. If in doubt over when to get off the bus, tell the bus driver where you're heading and they'll tell you when you've reached your stop.

When I reached Mukaitaki, they had staff waiting outside the ryokan ready to greet arriving guests. They ran over across the bridge greeting me by name! Obviously I was the only non-japanese guest staying over that night. But still, it's a very good service. Check-in was fast and efficient. My bag was already waiting for me, and a staff (Mr Sato) was assigned to show me to my room and explain the available facilities. I have to say that very limited English is spoken in this ryokan.

My room is beautiful, clean, comfortable with a very good view of the garden. Keeping in mind that this is a 100+ years old building, certain wear and tear are obvious, but it's well cared for. There is no lifts/escalators, so make sure to inform them beforehand if you have troubles with stairs. I believe they have some rooms on ground level.

The meals are made of ingredients that are historically available locally, so they are pretty simple and austere. I have to admit that some of the ryokan that I've stayed at before had more innovative and lavish food. However, despite of how they looked, those simple dishes sure were tasty. Some of the recipe had been handed down for more than a hundred years.

There are 3 private baths where you could lock the door for privacy, and 2 shared baths for every gender. I had fun trying out the different baths !

I would definitely recommend Mukaitaki to people interested in the hot spring culture, with a dash of history and fantastic service on the side. However, please keep in mind that this is a 140+ years old building and adjust your expectation accordingly. That being said, I enjoyed my stay very much and as I got back from my trip, all I could think of was that I wish I were back at Mukaitaiki.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
5  Thank Gracia83
Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

Mukaitaki is a traditional Ryokan located in the North of Japan in Fukushima prefecture and will appeal to those who prefer the pass less travelled.

For me, Mukaitaki was (easily) my most memorable stay in Japan. From the arrival greeting, where almost every member of staff greets you, to our departure where similarly you're waved off by a myriad of Mukaitaki well wishers, the experience at Mukaitaki was nothing short of amazing and could not possibly disappoint even the most discerning of travellers.

Mukaitaki is essentially a traditional Ryokan which (of course) boasts several Onsens, and the beauty of which you'll at most times have to yourself. Now, if you're like most westerners who really aren't use to, or comfortable with nude-ing up around perfect strangers, Mukaitaki offers 3 private Onsen rooms which are equally amazing.

Shortly after arrival we were greeted by several members of staff confirming any special requirements we might have, and our preferred dining times for breakfast and dinner. At meal times we were ushered to a private room and served traditional Japanese degustations, so you needn't worry about going hungry.

Another nice touch was the traditional Japanese green tea and sweets served late afternoon.

The Mukaitaki staff will also be on hand at anytime (24/7) to assist you with just about anything you require, most of whom are reasonably versed in English.

There are numerous more moderately priced traditional Ryokans in Japan, but few would offer the experience that awaits you at Mukaitaki, the memories of which will stay with you for a lifetime...

Special thanks to Natsumi (san), Inoue (san) and Sato (san) and all the dedicated Mukaitaki members of staff.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

Wanted to visit Ouchijuku so decided to stay in aizu wakamatsu for a night. This is a traditional ryokan n personally I like the timber structure, the hallways where you can look into their beautiful garden. Believe there are also finer details in their door carvings, window frames, etc. The staff were nice n polite though most can't communicate in English much ex maybe the front desk? Baths were decent and they have the extra hot ones at 44 degrees which I did not try. Apart from the big bath (which actually is not that big) they have 3 individual baths for folks who want some privacy. Food wise was ok though I did not quite enjoy the "braised or preserved" koi meat but the koi sashimi was good. Most of the varieties come in small portion which works well for me. They do charge a single supplement so it is more cost effective if you visit as a couple or group. Think the surroundings will be more beautiful during the Sakura or korya season..

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 February 2017

We stayed at the Mukaitaky Inn for two nights at the end of our two-weeks trip to Japan. The place is a bit difficult to reach, but it is certainly worth it for anyone who desires a full Japanese onsen experience away from the hustle-and-bustle of the traditional tourist paths. We were the only non-Asian tourists at that time.

All rooms are in the traditional Japanese style, and we stayed in the Kykyo Room, on a higher floor overlooking the garden, which we could not fully enjoy unfortunately, as it rained for the whole of our stay. The amenities in the room are fantastic, and we were provided with a yukata (a light cotton vest) for walking indoor.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by the full staff who took care of our bags (they were gone before we even realized it) and given a pair of slippers to walk around the building and directed to our room, where a few minutes later we were offered tea. The service was impeccable, to a much higher standard that our 5-star hotels.

Both breakfast and dinner are served in the room, and the food was amazing and plentiful. All meals were based on local traditional dishes with in-season products. Unfortunately, the attendant to our room did not speak English, so we did not get the full description of the food (as I imagine Japanese speakers do).

The interior of the building is fantastic, all in wood which gives a very warm feeling. The traditional public baths (there are no showers in the rooms) are fantastic, with three baths at increasing temperature, and extremely relaxing after a day spent travelling or sightseeing.

Room Tip: Little English is spoken except by the front desk. But all staff will make the most effort to help.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple