Open today: 7:30 am - 7:00 pm
Review Highlights
Great option for boating and hiking option in Abel Tasman Park

A great company to book a boat and/or hike option. The hikes along the coast require a boat to get... read more

Reviewed 10 May 2024
TonyC_Austin
Austin, TX
Perfect Tasman Experience

Beyond expectations. Sarah our guide was absolutely fabulous! Interesting funny informative and so... read more

Reviewed 10 May 2024
Rachel B

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Abel Tasman National Park
1,125 results
All reviews split apple rock bay lodge medlands beach national park kayak trip walking trip guided walk abel tasman self guided great trip water taxi picnic lunch recommend this trip adele island first night beautiful scenery great walk
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 December 2022 via mobile

I purchased the 3-day self guided tour as a treat for myself over Christmas. It provided what I wanted - not having to carry large bags, clean bed and room with a private bathroom, and all meals provided (I’m not a fussy eater so they were all pretty good in my opinion). The track itself was amazing and beautiful, exceeded my expectations.

The main negatives were price and flexibility with times. I understand where the company is coming from and why it needs to be strict when looking after a group, but sometimes it felt like I was at school camp. It also meant a lot of cool spots were missed out by most (e.g. Cleopatras pool).

In terms of price, close to $1,500 isn’t cheap (plus inflated costs of drinks at the lodges) so you’d expect high quality service. I was by myself and often felt ‘forgotten’ - e.g. I didn’t receive a bag when I arrived, was skipped over with lunch on the first day on the ferry, non-alcoholics were given a champagne substitute for the Christmas dinner but again I was looked over. When a guest arrives at the lodge, perhaps a “Hi, welcome!” instead of “oh, there’s another one” is a bit of feedback to take onboard. I know it wasn’t personal, and Sarah and Seth (and other lodge staff) were friendly when approached. However, all little things add up to the overall experience and people do notice things.

I don’t usually leave reviews but after reading the owners response to reviews that are less than 4-stars (or have any bit of constructive criticism), I thought I should. Some responses were definitely personal and below the mark, which was quite second handedly embarrassing and disappointing to read. This is meant to be a place for customers (who have already paid and mostly aren’t asking for refunds - not that you would give any refunds) to share experiences on how we felt on the trip - especially when you request it from us! Customer service and a friendly attitude is free - I know times can be busy and stressful, especially during the holiday season, but this is usually the difference between 5-stars and anything less. Seems like something is a bit off with the company culture. Nothing above and beyond during my experience and I personally won’t be paying for something like this again, really just a genuinely average experience.

3  Thank Hanna967
Darryl W, Owner at Wilsons Abel Tasman, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2023

Thank you for joining us and also for taking the time to write. Points raised are helpful and will be taken onboard.

We appreciate acknowledgement of the team’s efforts despite our occasional missteps. We do try very hard to make everyone’s precious holiday a special time but Christmas Day brings with it a range of emotions and distractions. I can see how the off-duty team member casually advising the lodge host of your arrival for the formal welcome and introduction would appear offhand. I apologise on their behalf.

We pay serious attention to safety, particularly with solo travellers who choose to walk without a guide. Our recommendation for solo travellers is to join the guided trips as guides really do create a more inclusive experience, have local knowledge and the experience that enables you to see and explore more with on-the-spot communication and support for the tricky river crossing at Cleopatras Pool. Guides also manage the timing of tidal crossings and connecting travel.

Best wishes for future adventures, please don’t let this put you off the outdoors.

Reviewed 21 December 2022 via mobile

In early December our family did the 3 day self guided Abel Tasman trek with Wilsons tour company. All the staff from the office, to the bus driver to the young guides were excellent to deal with and the tour guides/come hosts at the lodges were a great group of young people that made us feel welcome, well cared for and well advised. The rooms were comfortable and the meals exceeded our expectations. The drying room was on for about 3 - 4 hours each evening, not quite long enough to completely dry shoes etc but enough to feel comfortable the next day. The picnic lunches were more than adequate with great food options: eg: filled roll, hard boiled egg, chocolate bar, chippes, apple and healthy bar.
The scenery was stunning and despite a wet start on the first day ( just made it more intrepid), a challenging 2nd day with some steep up and down climbs, there was always the option to skip a leg and take the boat. A great walk that anyone with moderate fitness could do; our family was made up of a 9, 16, 40, 44, 64 and 66 yr old. I can highly recommend the Wilson tour company to trek the Abel Tasman track with.

Date of experience: December 2022
HLHAbeltas, Wilson Team at Wilsons Abel Tasman, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2023

Thank you for your comprehensive review. We're glad you could make the most of all the options so your family could enjoy the trip.

Reviewed 15 December 2022 via mobile

This was one of the highlights of our stay in New Zealand. We were picked up from hotel and taken to Tasman Bay. We departed on Wilson’s Vista Boat, with a packed lunch provided. We cruised up from Kaiteriteri to the North, seeing a pod of dolphins and a few seals. A very relaxing day.

Date of experience: December 2022

Thank you for reviewing us.

Reviewed 28 November 2022

Brilliant 3 days with this outfit. We’ll organised, fabulous accommodation and friendly staff. Abel Tasmin National Park absolutely stunning. Saw loads of birds, seals and big rays. Combo of walking and canoeing was great way to appreciate this very special place. Definitely recommend.

Date of experience: November 2022

Reviewed 29 October 2022 via mobile

We booked the 3 day kayak and walking trip going south to north. What a great experience. It exceeded our expectations. Started with a thorough briefing and our guide Eli was great throughout as was CC and the lodge staff at both homesteads. We’d thoroughly recommend this trip. The kayaking was exhilarating and provided you are reasonably for was not arduous. The views on the walks were stunning. The luggage was all transferred smoothly meaning we only had to carry light day sacks. Just do it.

Date of experience: October 2022

Thank you. We're glad we could make your trip special.