“A beautiful day to hike and swim!”

Wilsons Abel Tasman
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Vista Cruise, Water Taxi, Walk, Sea Kayak and Beachfront Lodges in Abel Tasman National Park. Guided and self-guided Combinations to suit you, year-round. A family business welcoming visitors since 1841! Options from 2 hours to 5 days. Overnight at Torrent Bay Lodge or Meadowbank Homestead – Awaroa on the beachfront within Park boundaries. Ensuite accommodation, fine food, no heavy packs to carry. Travel with multiple NZ Tourism Award winners. Let us take care of the details so you can switch off and enjoy. Relax! Life just seems better here.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 5 January 2018

We arrived in Nelson on Christmas eve and very few places were open on Christmas day, except for Abel Tasman National Park. This was one of the best Christmas day treats we could have hoped for with a generous packed lunch and stunning scenery to enjoy it. The weather cooperated and we were able to swim in 2 different bays during our hike. We thoroughly enjoyed our day and fell in love with Nelson as a result.

HLHAbeltas, Wilson Team Member at Wilsons Abel Tasman, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2018

Thank you. Merry Christmas and New Year.

All reviews
in 36 reviews
"seal colony"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed 5 January 2018 via mobile

I must say these three days of trekking was with out a doubt tiring. However my guides Amy and Ian (Squid) made it exceptionally fun. When I heard I wouldn't have wifi for three days I was worried because as a teenager I need to keep up to date with my social media. Although I couldn't do that I totally forgot about it with the trek and kayak. Social wise, I had a ton of fun. Amy and Ians presentation was outgoing and I admired it since they weren't afraid to get to know us or let us know them. Both of them were caring, patient and funny. They weren't just boring guides. For kayaking I had Caleb and I absolutely adore him and his accent. He's a really caring lad and he knows how to have fun. He wasn't afraid of splashing me with his water gun and I sure wasn't afraid to get him back using my paddle. In fact he was my kayaking partner. He kept the journey fun and after four hours with him I was actually sad I had to rejoin the other group at the lodge. I don't think I've ever wanted to continue kayaking. I admit this was my favourite Christmas I've had and it's all because of the guides and other kids I met. I couldn't have asked or any better :)

1  Thank inthiramckenzie
HLHAbeltas, Wilsons Team Member at Wilsons Abel Tasman, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2018

Thank you. The team will be glad to know they proved there is life without WiFi.

Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

I am not even sure where to begin - our family (two fifty something parents and our 18 and 21 ur old kids) did a three day walk/kayak - what a brilliant time ! Our guides, Bridget and Patti ( and sorry if I spelled that wrong) we’re engaged,enthusiastic, knowledgeable about the flora, fauna and history - and just all around wonderful our walking and kayaking was gorgeous - so much beauty up there !- really - Our stays at the two lodges (first in meadowbank then torrent Bay were marked by lovely meals (thanks Alfie in meadowbank - and I am sorry but name escapes me just now in torrent Bay :(. ) lovely company , wonderful hosts ( thanks Maria in torrent Bay ! -you have a knack for this !) we all agreed it was the highlight of our New Zealand trip - we loved every single moment - Caleb , tell patti he still owes us a Beer (kidding ! ) thank you Wilson’s !!!!! Lori, Gord,Lucy and Will

Thank you. We will share your praises with the team.

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

We did the 5 day package just now, 2 nights at torrent bay and meadow wood each. Loved every minute of it: perfect organisation, friendly staff, good food and above all 2 amazing guides that would simply do anything for you. The hiking was superb and just challenging enough, and of course the scenery is simply mind-boggling. 5* all around!

See more reviews
Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

I booked a one-day pass to Abel Tasman National Park with a coach connection through my travel agent. I didn’t know what to expect prior to arriving at the park. The Wilsons staff was available upon arrival to Kauteriteri, and they explained the different options to me. I was booked by default on another trek, but the staff changed it on-site to allow me more time to hike. They also rearranged my coach connection back to Nelson at no extra charge.

I ended up taking the boat ride to the furthest point, got off at Medlands Beach, and did a trek to Anchorage (stopping at some of the viewpoints along the way). I definitely recommend this voyage, as it was a beautiful walk filled with lush landscapes, turquoise-blue vistas, and well-manicured trails. There was no shortage of breathtaking views for photos.

I had reserved a picnic lunch, which was packed to the brim with goodies (sandwich, juice, apple, quiche, scone, and cookie) and very delicious. I’m glad I did this, because food options were extremely limited if you don’t bring your own. There is nothing available along the trails and limited toilet facilities.

Overall, the staff was very friendly and made for a great experience. Special shout-out to Austen who drove the coach back to Nelson, and he was friendly, helpful, and a safe driver.

Thank you for your detailed review. I'm sure it will help other visitors.