All reviews safari tent italian restaurant overlooking the lagoon canoe rentals sunshine coast floating bridge unique experience hiking trails room kitchen magical place natural setting a great place to spend paddle boards la trattoria hidden gem tents birds
Reviewed 21 August 2018

I'd been to Ruby Lake multiple times previously and really enjoyed the atmosphere and the food at the restaurant, despite it being pretty clearly overpriced.

I thought Ruby Lake would be an ideal place to go for a night with my partner to catch a meteor shower. 240 is a bit steep for a room, but I figured it would be worth it to have a bit of luxury in a quiet, dark, beautiful setting.

When we arrived, the staff checked us in and I noticed right away that Anya, the person checking us in didn't seem very friendly and clearly just wanted to check us in a quickly as she could and get us out of there.

I was surprised to find, five minutes after I checked in, that there was no electricity or running water in our room, and even more surprised five minutes after that to find that the staff were aware of this because the power had been out for an hour, long before we arrived to check in. When I returned with my partner to calmly but directly inquire as to why I was checked into a room with no water or electricity without being told when the staff knew there was a power outage, Anya got very defensive, claimed she didn't know the power was out (the first of several lies we were told by staff that day) and acted affronted that she was being held accountable for her actions. It was ridiculous and totally clear that she was lying through her teeth given that timeline and the fact that the staff person who told me about the outage had been standing next to her at the time we checked in and the power had been out for an hour. Pretty clear that Ruby Lake is all about the money though, and that became only more evident as time wore on.

We waited about an hour and a half or so before we called BC Hydro and found out that the power wasn't estimated to be on until 11:00 P.M. By this time is was about 5 in the evening and we weren't too keen on not having water or electricity for another six hours. Just to note, the staff never enquired as to if we had a need for water or any medical situation that would require electricity or water. They never so much as offered us a glass of water, though they kept running their restaurant somehow and seemed to have water for the people that were willing to spend more money there.

We returned and let Anya know that the power wasn't slated to be on until 11 p.m. Her response was that "Actually, the power is supposed to be on in a couple of hours." Anya seems to have an interesting relationship with the truth. I let her know that in fact I'd called BC Hydro myself and was being told another six hours. My partner asserted that this wasn't going to work for us, that we weren't able to access the amenities we'd paid through the teeth for, we needed to be able to have electricity and running water to, say, for example, wash our hands or use the toilet, and we were going to have to go somewhere else and needed our money back.

The levels of greed and terrible customer service that ensued were shameful.

Anya tried to protest, I cut her off and asked her to get the manager (she'd lied earlier and told me she was the manager) which she did. Upon returning, she let us know that the manager was "busy with other guests and can't just drop everything to come and talk to you" which was needlessly rude. Once the manager did come, she was shamey, judgemental, guilt-tripping and rude. She accused us of harassing her staff. I always think it's interesting when people confuse being held accountable with harassment. If requesting information about a bad situation, seeing through people's lies and refusing to be treated like my purpose there was to generate profit for the resort is harassment, then I'm guilty as charged.

The manager suggested that most people who come there come for nature, not power and water. The audacity to tell my partner and myself how we should spend our time there is stunning. Never was there an apology, never was there an offer of water knowing we couldn't access any but they could in the restaurant. Instead there were guilt trips about the fact that someone was hurt due to the accident that caused the accident, guilt trips about them not being able to resell the room (despite our not using the beds or making a mess), and even an ask that we "human to human" leave 40 dollars to make up for the cost of recleaning our unused room.

I found the concept of "human to human" interesting given that we'd been lied to, judged, guilt-tripped, and allowed to check into a room with no power or water, never offered water or asked if we needed anything and generally treated poorly and as though we were a bother, even at check-in.

Ruby Lake, the cost of doing business is absorbed by the business when things like this happen. *You are not owed or guaranteed a profit.* Getting a refund shouldn't be that hard. Lying to and treating your guests the way were treated is indefensible. Clearly there is a culture of rudeness at this "resort." Wake up.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
8  Thank AJ K
Reviewed 31 July 2018

Located on Ruby Lake and directly on an extended lagoon with a floating bridge that takes you from check-in office to accommodation (also accessed by car as needed). Rooms are spacious with fully stocked kitchen (full size fridge, microwave and stove and basic cooking supplies- free coffee supplied). MUST check out the resort-owned Italian restaurant onsite that offers high end italian culinary cuisine created by italian chef with food made from locally sourced and organic ingredients.

Rooms are clean, simple but adequate. Great staff. No wifi and limited cell phone so a good break away from the chaos. You can rent a canoe/paddleboard/peddleboat from their private dock and go and enjoy the beautiful lake. Dock faces West to amazing sunsets. Ruby Lake is rated as one of the warmest and cleanest lakes in Canada- average temp is 17c.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank otherplaceslikehome
Reviewed 30 July 2018

I stayed for three nights in July. The days are still pretty long in BC, but it was pitch dark at 4am and everyone was still asleep when the rooster started his unrelenting morning wake-up. Really? I told the reception person, who seemed a bit surprised. Really? If you stay in the tents at the south end of the Ruby Lake property the covered chicken coup/area is right beside the main compound. Though the highway was not busy at night, road noise is also obvious. The tent area is not a peaceful spot. I can't speak for the cabins, but, at $100+ per night, the rustic tents are to be avoided at any price.

Stayed: July 2018
Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

I had high hopes for my glampy tent stay. The location is stunning with all kinds of nice anmenities and a great Italian restaurant on site. But the tents and communal bathroom and eating areas are to be avoided at all costs. I had prepaid so had to stay three nights.at $115 per night I expected more.
The tent itself is fine, though the bed was a bit hard and creaky. To use the bathroom you need to walk between 80 to 200 yards depending on the tent location. In the night, this can be an adventure. I think there had been a big group over the weekend, so the soap dispensers were empty and not filled for three days. Same issues in the eating area. The kitchen is supposedly set up with dishes and morning coffee supplies. There were no available mugs and the coffee ran out by day three. I planned one meal there, but discovered too late there were no forks??
But the unforgivable issue was the on-site rooster. Day one he started his wake-up routine at 2am, and day two and three it was 4am. I am just amazed that the owners allowed this to continue. Just pen up your rooster in a coop until daylight and the issue is solved.
Deal with the rooster and have staff do daily checks on conditions and this review could easily change.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank U7596NPlinda
Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying at the Ruby Lake Resort for a week and a half. I stayed in their cottages, which were lovely - spacious, comfortable, and well equipped. The staff were courteous, attentive, and did an excellent job maintaining the rooms.

The grounds are amazing - tranquil, scenic, and very well kept. The cottages face a lagoon which is home to various water fowl. Behind are forested hills that are unspoiled.

There is no high speed Internet, not much cell service, no 24 hour room service - but that’s exactly the point, this place is a shelter from all that.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business