All reviewscheese trolleygolf coursemichelin starhot tubafternoon teadeck restauranttasting menuthe main hotelcheese boardhalibutboth nightslarge bathroomhilltop reservebig houseamuse bouchepre dinner drinksindoor sports
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

We had high expectations for the Isle of Eriska hotel. We've been coming to the area for years but never been to this hotel on its own private island.

It's a beautiful setting and a lovely old building with a warm welcoming entrance area with fire roaring and comfy seats in which to lounge around. Also very nice to take a walk around the paths on the island. Tranquil and relaxing.

It is a 5 star hotel but I think for the accommodation that's pushing it a bit. The service is definitely 5 star. The staff were amazing and couldn't have been better but the room let it down a bit. For the price I was expecting something far more upmarket. The room was decorated nicely but not quite as luxurious, spacious or special as I'd expect for a 5 star hotel. Some flaking paint around the windows, rather basic bathroom and a tiny TV. Very poor WiFi signal and no tea and coffee in the room. You can get it of course, but surely this should be standard in a 5 star hotel? I shouldn't have to ask for tea and coffee in my room.

I'm not complaining about the traditional decor, but it does need modernisation. They could keep the traditional feel but just put a bit more effort into making the rooms truly 5 star and special. Perhaps it was just the room we got.

The spa could do with a bit of work too. Facilities were fine and a nice place to relax with stunning views from the restaurant and deck above it. But the changing area was a bit basic and the pool area didn't feel special enough.

I'm quite critical of spas because I've been spoiled a bit with amazing experiences at Stobo Castle. My advice to Eriska is to pay a visit to Stobo for a few hints on how to make the rooms and the spa just a bit more special and 5 star feeling. It wouldn't take much just to lift it up a level.

So, for the rooms and spa I'd say it's a 4 star and that's why I couldn't give a 5 for my review.

The restaurant, however, redeemed the hotel. One of the nicest meals I've ever had. The service was impeccable and the food fantastic. The cheese trolley was amazing and a great wine selection on offer too.

So, in summary, a 4 star hotel with a 5 star restaurant and 5 star service. Beautiful location and definitely worth a visit but I think the accommodation is a bit overpriced given my comments above. It was £355 for one night bed and breakfast. I've stayed in much nicer 5 star rooms for less than that. The food was definitely value for money but I can't say the same for the room.

We'll definitely be back to the restaurant but don't think we'll stay overnight again until they put a bit of investment into the bedrooms.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dzy79
Gavin M, General Manager at Isle of Eriska Hotel, Spa & Island, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I will ensure to pass on your kind comments onto the team at Eriska.

We take all feedback on board to further enhance the experience and service we offer our guests and wish to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We do hope that we will welcome you back to Eriska again in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 14 June 2018

I stayed at Eriska with a friend for a girls night away and it was perfect. We stayed in one of the Spa Suites with our own little garden and private hot tub, plenty of space, private and relaxing. We treated ourselves to a couple of spa treatments. Michelle was wonderful. We didn't dine in the main restaurant as we wanted something more casual so had an early dinner in The Deck with views over the loch next to it. Lovely fish and chips! Then back to the room to relax with a glass of wine in the hot tub, truly a great night away.

Room Tip: Go for a private hot tub
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Gavin M, General Manager at Isle of Eriska Hotel, Spa & Island, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for such kind comments.

Indeed, our Spa Suites are wonderful and the little garden with a private hot tube just offer the perfect place to relax and enjoy your well deserved break. We have passed your nice words to Michelle and we are so happy that you enjoy your time in our Deck Restaurant where the view is amazing. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcome you again at Eriska.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

Fabulous nights stay at this wonderful house- staff were attentive from start to finish from greeting at reception to bar staff - waiters-spa attendants etc.Rarely have I stayed somewhere where the staff seemed genuinely interested in your day and life.Special mention to the Hungarian barman (didn’t catch his name) I hope everything works out re Brexit as you are an asset to the hotel

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian D

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely comment. We aim to offer a high quality service to please our guests and we are so happy to hear that we succeed!

I have passed on your kind comments Zsolt and we look forward to welcome you back at Eriska .

Kind regards,

Reviewed 8 June 2018

My wife and I have stayed in the hotel countless times and returned last month to the same room as last year but priced 15% dearer. In the Hotel Information in the room we noted a comment stating that the wine list was reasonably priced compared to similar establishments in the area. When we looked at the wine list we realised it was indeed very expensive. Not only that, but for some bizarre reason it was not possible to buy a standard 175ml glass before going through for dinner. They offered a choice of a 125ml glass or a 375ml carafe. In the case of white wine of course it does not stay cool in a carafe. I fail to understand the hotel's thinking.
One of the highlights at Eriska has always been the spa following which you could relax with a choice of lovely sorbets. No longer! The offering of a sorbet has been withdrawn. Furthermore the lovely afternoon tea which used to be inclusive has now been replaced by one for which the guest pays.
Perhaps the price increase had been applied to the golf course, but when we reached the practice area before going on to the course we found it was virtually unusable. The six hole course itself remains a delight for the non serious golfer.
The biggest disappointment of all was the dinner. The food was perfectly acceptable, but could never in any way justify a price tag of #67. To call it a gourmet experience is nonsense. It is light years away from fine dining with no attempt whatsoever at presentation and offers food which is good quality but by no means outstanding.
Eriska remains a magical place to visit, but I'm afraid the new management are too concerned with the bottom line.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
7  Thank murray o

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on TripAdvisor and indeed for your regular return custom; it is, of course, greatly appreciated. We are truly sorry that there were some aspects of the stay that you were disappointed with and I personally would have liked the opportunity to discuss these with you during your stay had I been aware. With regards to the wine list, we do feel there is a broad option of price ranges and we do have entry level wines from £30.00 per bottle. In regards to the measures; we do offer wines from 125ml, this is priced accordingly and as a returning guest you will know that this has always been the case at Eriska; however, I appreciate your feedback with regards to larger glasses and the carafe and we will certainly take this on board.

In regards to the golf course and practice area; these facilities are offered complimentary to guests of Eriska; however, the practice area is going through a period of work and I am sorry that it was not in a good condition for your visit.

I would like to firmly reassure you that our guests are, and always will be, the most important aspect of our business and this will never change.

I am grateful of how you think of Eriska as magical and I genuinely hope I have the opportunity again soon to show you that we believe so too. Should you book again in the future I would be delighted to sit with you personally and discuss any concerns you may have. Please do let me know and I would be delighted to arrange this.

Very best regards,

Reviewed 6 June 2018

We visited the Eriska Hotel restaurant for a birthday meal with high expectations. Whilst it was not bad, it fell well short of what you would expect given its reputation and pricing and the website claim that it provides a gourmet experience. We have enjoyed high end restaurants around the world so have a good benchmark. On arrival we had a nice walk round the grounds, which are lovely, and then entered the hotel. It was only once we had entered as far as the dining room that we managed to find someone - there was no welcome on arrival and the three staff were engaged in conversation not focusing on their guests. We enjoyed drinks in the conservatory where we also made our menu choices. The food was fine but lacked the special touch in flavour and presentation that we would expect from such a restaurant. We were also disappointed that few of the staff were local (only one was Scottish) and knew the area - this further detracted from the experience you would expect in a remote part of Scotland. After our meal, we chose to have our coffee in the lounge and had to find someone so we could pay. When we left we were surprised that there were no goodbyes or 'thank you for your custom'; the staff had become invisible again, chatting in an office. Overall, the lack of a personal touch and the 'ordinary' food left us disappointed and feeling we would have had a better experience at one of the local restaurants where a more personal service would have been provided, along with honest home cooking. Isle of Erika feels like a hotel where the management have lost sight of the need to engage with their guests and live upto their claims - having a great location and a heritage bulding simply is not enough and it would not be difficult to address its shortcomings.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mascot1

Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for your leaving your review we appreciate your time and your vital feedback on your visit to Eriska. We are truly sorry that we have fallen short of our standard and expectations on this occasion. It is simply not acceptable that you had to search for members of the team and this will certainly be addressed, please do be assured this is not our normal standard and our aim is to deliver outstanding personal service and be available and visible at all times. We do receive many outstanding comments on the food at Eriska and therefore, I am disappointed and saddened to read that this did not meet our standards; nor did we deliver to your expectations. We would have of course preferred this was mentioned at the time in order for us to try and rectify the issues.

Whilst there were areas you have enjoyed at Eriska, I would again like to apologise for our shortcomings and hope that this will not detract from you returning. Should you wish to; please do feel free to contact me direct and I will ensure you are thoroughly looked after.

Best regards,