“Like cheese? You will love this”

The Old Cheese Shop
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 27 August 2018

The most amazing cheeses for sale here. All local made and every one we have tried so far has been outstanding. We will be buying by mail order for sure. Even the bluest of blue cheeses are so smooth and creamy - as for the caramel one - wow wow wow

Claire7575, Owner at The Old Cheese Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2018

Thank you for such a great review.
Glad you enjoyed all the cheeses you tried.
Will see you again hopefully.

All reviews
"excellent service"
"mature cheddar"
"lots of choice"

Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

Great shop with good local cheese options and lots of bits to match, crackers, chutney etc. Made up a couple on nice presents but not cheap.

Claire7575, Owner at The Old Cheese Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review.
We are not as cheap as supermarkets and will never be able to compete but we do however have a much more diverse range of cheeses, many of which are local to the area.
We hope you will return when you are next in the Peak District.

Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

I’d been following the Old Cheese Shop on Instagram and passing through Hartington I thought I’d stop. The person serving said she’d leave me to look and went away. I spent a while looking at the cheeses - I had hoped they would have Gjetost or something similar but they didn’t appear to. In the end I decided I’d like some of the local with tomato and garlic. There was only one piece on display so when the woman came back, I asked for a bit of that. I think she must have thought I meant the piece on display was too big (it wasn’t) so she went to the fridge at the back and got something out, held it up and asked if that was okay. I couldn’t even see it from there. She put it in a bag and that was it. I felt hurried away as though I had offended her. I actually wondered what I had done. I could see the other woman being friendly to people. When I eventually opened the bag, the cheese was minute. No longer following on Instagram.

I can only apologise on behalf of our team. There should have been more than one piece in the counter however in fairness we do get a lot of people who want small (and sometimes very small) pieces of cheese so the lady may well have thought that the piece in the counter was indeed too big.
She should have made it clear to you what size and price she had weighed out for you and given you the opportunity to comment and change the piece if required.
This is no excuse though as you now have had a poor experience.
We only stock British cheeses so the Gjetost wouldn't have been available but we do have other sweet, fudge like tasting cheeses which should have been offered to you had you asked for something similar.
I am so sorry that you were disappointed and I will pass on your comments to our team so that this doesn't happen again.
If you email us direct through the website it would be useful to know when you visited and which lady served you so that I can speak to them direct.
Many thanks.

Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

Very friendly and knowledgeable staff and a good selection of some not so familiar cheeses and other nibbles. Well worth a visit.

Thank you for taking the time to write us a lovely review.