Open today: 7:30 AM - 9:00 PM
Review Highlights
Brilliant fun

I had such a great day with guides Celine and Adrien and the rest of our group canyoning in the... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
rlev6157
via mobile
Not to be missed, worth every cent!

Canyoning in the Torrent River was one of the most hectic things we did in the whole South Island... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
Lauren F

Recommended experiences in and around Motueka
from US$165.05
from US$165.05
from US$63.27
from US$96.28
More Info
All reviews torrent river zip lining comfort zone new zealand canyoning experience abel tasman great fun water taxi an absolute blast wet suits photos and videos perfect balance amazing trip cliff jumping hot drinks slippery rocks big jumps
Reviewed 27 April 2015

If I had stumbled into that canyon alone I would have assumed it was the end. The guides took us into a completely foreign world of waterfalls, hydro-slides, mossy rock cliffs and white-water pools and invited us to jump in head first.

Initial terror quickly turned into exhilaration and a new found confidence as I jumped, slid, bombed, and flipped my way down the canyon. The guides were so much fun, and calmly led us far beyond our comfort zone.

The wild, powerful, deep green landscape of the Torrent River is the complete opposite of the rest of the Able Tasman, with its calm blue water and golden sand. It is an experience not to be missed.

Date of experience: April 2015
AbelTasmanCanyons, Owner at Abel Tasman Canyons, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2015

Great review! So good to hear you enjoyed being challenged to get out of your comfort zone. Thank you!

Reviewed 25 April 2015

AMAZING- what else can I say? Its totally worth the money, an unique experience, awesome guides and a must to when you are there. You get free videos and pictures which will be taken during the tour by your guides. They are a perfect quality and you get lots and lots to chose from. You also get some historical background and snacks on the way.

PERFECT DAY.

Thank you guys.

Date of experience: March 2015

Awesome Jennifer, sounds like you appreciated all we had to offer which is great. Thanks for the review!

Reviewed 24 April 2015 via mobile

Went canyoneering with friends in April 2015. Great day, but Lee made the experience one-of-a-kind. I had gone before, but my friends were very anxious. Lee was reassuring and quickly built our trust. He catered our experience to our comfort and skill levels. I took more challenging routes and my friends took the safer ones. Lee kept a close eye on them and gave me more freedom. It made the experience enjoyable for everyone. He is very knowledgeable of the area and local culture, and always had an enthusiastic attitude. We ran into him at a local bar later that night and he continued to make us feel welcome. I highly recommend this trip and company to anyone!

1  Thank Ben A

Thanks so much Ben! I'll make sure Lee gets this review. It was one of his last trips of the season and he told me multiple times it was one of his favorite trips, thanks to you guys!!

Reviewed 23 April 2015

My partner and I were staying in Motueka as part of our 2 month trip in New Zealand and had been told that Abel Tasman Canyons was not to be missed. We were on a fairly tight budget though and it took us a long time to come around. Absolutely no regrets! It was a blast from the moment we arrived and the adrenaline didn't wear off until we collapsed into an exhausted heap in bed that night! The water's cold! The abseiling and ziplines are exciting! And the Kiwi Style Bombs are absolutely exhilarating!
MUST DO in the Abel Tasman!!! LOVE NZ!!!

Date of experience: March 2015

Sounds like a great day out! Thanks for the great review!

Reviewed 22 April 2015

What an awesome outing! My friend and I wanted the most extreme canyoning experience, so we signed up for the Waterfall Creek trip. WARNING: you'll have to be reasonably fit to go down this canyon. If you're able, you should definitely go down this canyon!

After an arduous hike up to the top of the canyon, your tiredness will vanish as you start the descent and the adrenaline kicks in. Tall slides, huge jumps, abseiling next to waterfalls, and slippery rocks keep you on your toes as you make your way down to the base. Non-stop action!

Our guides were awesome! I felt completely safe the whole way down. They literally had my back (they were holding me by the harness) as I down climbed the dodgy bits.
Plus, they told some great stories throughout the whole day.

Some tips:

1) If you're already in Takaka, you can be picked up from there! My friend and I actually visited Takaka the day before but headed back to Motueka for the pickup. Confirm with the team if Takaka is a better meet-up location.

2) For the love of god, bring some bug spray. The sandflies had a feast on my feet and calves after I got out of my wetsuit. If you don't have any spray, be sure to change into pants and shoes since the sandflies can't bite through them.

Date of experience: April 2015
1  Thank Ryan M
AbelTasmanCanyons, Owner at Abel Tasman Canyons, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2015

Ryan and Jeff, you guys are troopers. Not only did you conquer Waterfall Creek you also managed to withstand our beloved little sandflies in the Awaroa. Thanks for your review and a great day out!!