Open today: 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from The Sea Kayak Company tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience The Sea Kayak Company
from US$167.66
from US$97.80
from US$167.66
More Info
All reviews tonga island marine reserve ab fab bark bay water taxi abel tasman stopped for lunch open water on the rocks fantastic trip split apple rock anchorage bay national park great guide saw seals highly recommend this trip paddling
Reviewed 22 March 2017 via mobile

I wish there was a 100-star option here! As first time kayakers and campers, this 3-day trip was expected to be quite the challenge for myself, my husband and any guide! Not for Aaron! He made it super easy for us! Right from teaching the technique to making sure that we were not just focused on the kayaking but enjoying every bit of what Abel Tasman had to offer. As he says, "don't worry about the water- it'll stay there; look up and enjoy ". His knowledge about the wildlife is commendable. By day 2 we were pro kayakers (atleast in our minds:D ). I cannot even begin to express my surprise at the 4-5 gourmet meals/day by chef Aaron himself! He's the best host anyone can ask for and I would highly recommend him and Sea Kayak to everyone traveling to NZ.

Thanks again Aaron!
-Himani & Tejas

Date of experience: March 2017
SeaKayakCompany, Owner at The Sea Kayak Company, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2017

Hi Himani. Thank you for your kind review. Pleased you both enjoyed your trip in the beautiful Abel Tasman and hope to see you again sometime. Take care, Paul, Aaron and the crew :)

Reviewed 19 March 2017

I booked a three day kayaking experience for myself and my son. Paul the owner was excellent giving us lots of information and making the procedure very easy. He recommended staying at the Happy Apple backpackers next door the night before in order to be there for the early start time of the trip. That was a great recommendation and I will review that separately on TA.
The trip itself was amazing. As a sea kayaker (no previous experience is necessary for this activity by they way) I have sea kayaked in Europe and Asia, but this trip blew me away. The scenery is unbelievably beautiful and what i was most impressed by was the fact that we were camping at sites which are only accessible by sea or walking to. No land vehicles can get to these camp sights.
Our guide Ethan was brilliant. For a young man of only 22 he was so knowledgable and professional. He made the trip so fantastic. He would have done everything for us on the camping front but we all wanted to muck in so hopefully made life easier for him. I would recommend getting hold of a go pro camera with a large empty memory card for this activity as you will take brilliant stills and video footage. We were a mixed group of eight plus the guide, from UK, NZ, Argentina, Qatar, Iran so it truly was an international trip. We saw sea lions, sting rays and a blue penguin at close range which was awesome. I cannot recommend this trip highly enough. You will not be disappointed. SKC are uber professional and again I cannot recommend them highly enough. I will be returning to NZ in (european) summer 2018 and this will definitely be on our to do list.
Thank you Ethan, Paul and the team at SKC for a great experience.

Date of experience: March 2017
SeaKayakCompany, Owner at The Sea Kayak Company, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2017

Hi Huw,
Thank you for your review. Pl;eased you had at great trip and it was our pleasure to show you and Sam the Abel Tasman. Ethann thoroughly enjoyed the trip and you guys were great company.Take care. Paul and the SKC crew :)

Reviewed 18 March 2017

We booked a two-day kayaking hiking trip with a houseboat stay. The booking procedure via telephone was very efficient and everything was organised as agreed upon.
We had a small group and our excellent guide did a great job looking out for the group. Furthermore she explained a lot about the animals we saw (especially seals with their babies and shags) and the history and nature of Abel Tasman NP.
The lunch provided was very delicious. and the stay on the houseboat was a very great experience.

Date of experience: January 2017

Thanks for your review JV. Pleased you enjoyed your trip and hope to see you again some time. Take care, Paul and the SKC crew :)

Reviewed 17 March 2017

We booked a half day kayaking trip via the website a few days before we were due to go. The site offers free transfers but doesn't mention they only leave once a day in the mornings. This led to some confusion and a member of their team ringing to explain. I was in a cafe with no where to write anything down so asked for a confirmation email of where to meet them. Its fair to say the member of staff I spoke to wasn't delighted by this and eventually hung up. He did however send the email and we were easily able to find where to meet them.
The trip left at 11am and we did an hour of paddling and then stopped for lunch on a beach with a great view. We were able to swim and have a chill out before paddling back for about another two hours.
The kayaks were great and we felt very safe. It was a great option for us as two of our group hadn't done any sea kayaking before.
The guide himself seemed a little inpatient and not keen to repeat any information if we were not within hearing distance.
Overall great gear and scenery but needs work on customer service.

Hi Izzy,
Pleased you enjoyed your day out. In regards to your complaint about the transport.We sent you an E-mail on the day before the trip,03/03/17 at 8.30am with the details explaining the transport arrangements and that we only go to Marahau in the morning. The website does clearly say that transport is N/A for this trip. The fact that you were staying only 100mtrs from our base and you were offered a ride and needed to be at our base at 7.45am if you wished to do so. Perhaps if you had checked your e-mail and the website then there wouldn't of been any confusion. Kind regards, Paul :)

Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

Amazing 3 day trip....2 nights camping at Bark Bay. Started in drizzle but then all sun and sea! Superb guide...lots reassurance for beginners and superb cook. Saw lots seals, birds including little blue penguin. Kayaked into most of little river estuaries. Sting rays in sandy bays, lots little fish. We were beginners so if you are too then do not worry and book yourself a multi day trip.

Hi Helen,
Pleased you and Paul enjoyed your trip. It was our pleasure to show you both the Abel Tasman and hope to see you again some time.

Take care, Paul and the SKC crew :)