“Ultimate Abel Tasman Experience”

The Sea Kayak Company
and up
Full-Day Abel Tasman Relaxed or Late Riser Kayaking
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Sea Kayak Company is a family owned business that operates guided and freedom rental kayak trips in the Abel Tasman National Park.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Salisbury
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Ultimate Abel Tasman Experience”
Reviewed 13 April 2016

I did the 5 day Eco Explorer & it was awesome! The Sea Kayak Co is a great company, with top quality equipment, extremely experienced guide & good support crew back at base. We were well fed throughout the trip & our individual requirements met without fuss or extra cost. I did this tour on my own & thoroughly enjoyed it & the superb company of the others in my group.

The only disappointment was the misleading description & map of the 5 day tour which says it combines paddling the parks most gorgeous spots with walking in the remote Northern Section of the Abel Tasman. The latter we did not do at all & as a group we were particularly sad not to even get as far as Awaroa.

Visited February 2016
2 Thank Lafite82

Te Anau, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“MUST DO IN NEW ZEALAND”
Reviewed 7 April 2016

This was the best day trip that I've made in my entire three-week trip in New Zealand! I did the half-day kayak and half-day hike trip, and I think it was the perfect way to see and explore the Abel Tasman National Park. The views from the kayak were incredible, and our guide Hayley was excellent! She knew so much about the animals and birds that we encountered. The water taxis were punctual and fun. I would most definitely do this trip again anytime!

Visited April 2016
SeaKayakCompany, Owner at The Sea Kayak Company, responded to this review, 10 April 2016
Thank you for your review. Our guides really do appreciate your comments. hope to see you again some time. Kind regards Paul and the SKC crew :)
Tauranga, New Zealand
“5 Day Eco Kayak Trip”
Reviewed 2 April 2016

Fantastic trip, awesome scenery, good food, great fellow kayakers. I did enjoy the trip, and would recommend it to others. It was good to be able to take only the necessities, and put them in the plastic bags provided, Saved taking the backpack, so was able to leave some stuff behind at base
BUT!!
1. Lifting full laden kayaks onto the trailer on day one, the lifting off at Morehau. 5 of us were over 60 and 2 had bad backs, so not a great start.
2. The 30m rule was soon forgotten when the kayak I was in was behind all of day one. We would catch up, while the others rested and then they were off again. No rest for us.
Discussed that evening, but it didnt really work until the 2nd to last day. We were continually missing out on the guided tour.
3. Carrying fully laden kayaks up the beach at near on low tide to the dry at the end of each days kayaking.
4. Day one, given tents and told easy to put up. OK if one has done it before, but 2 of us hadnt so spent ages trying to figure it out. Got there eventually.
5. We had thought we would be going to Awaroa, as this is on the map, but were advised by our guide they never go up that way. Business need to update the maps on the web site, and take out the written word that it is a possible, as from what our guide told us it is a NEVER!!.
But apart from the negatives above, I loved the scenery, the wild life and the fauna.It is the most amazing part of the world, I dont believe there is any where in the world to compare, The kayaking is not too strenuous, so if one has not done a lot of kayaking before, this is definitely doable, and worth the effort The food was vvery good, and fresh daily, which is a bonus. The cater very well for those that have different dietary requirements. Well done.. It is also great that one can go for walks at the end of each days kayaking in the Able Tasman bush, lovely scenery and most amazing views from up high, so take your walking shoes and a camera. Its a good idea to take a camera with video, as the seals are so much fun to watch. If you need a bit more comfort at night would be an idea to take another small airbed, although this is extra weight to carry. And a fresh water cold shower is available at Anchorage, so make the most of this, otherwise take wipes and refresh yourself each day with these.
So all in all a wonderful experience, just a couple of fixer uppers.

Visited February 2016
Limassol, Cyprus
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Best way to see Abel Tasman!!”
Reviewed 21 March 2016

We started off the day on a water taxi which took us on a small tour around the many beaches of Abel Tasman before been dropped off at our location, where we met with our guide. Had a lovely picnic lunch followed by 2-3 hour kayaking along the coastline of Abel Tasman. Unbelievable waters and beaches that can only be reached by kayaking or water taxi.

Visited March 2016
1 Thank DaniellaGS
SeaKayakCompany, Owner at The Sea Kayak Company, responded to this review, 23 March 2016
Thanks for your review Daniella. Pleased you enjoyed your day out in our slice of paradise. You will have to come back some day. Kind regards,
Paul and the SKC crew :)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience! Would recommend to see the Abel Tasmin”
Reviewed 7 March 2016 via mobile

I started the day at their base in motueka. They were all friendly and chatty and very welcoming ( despite being 7.30am! They also offered a coffee ). They then drove us to Marahau to get the water taxi to our starting point. There was some confusion and I was left without out my ticket. But everything seemed to be well prepared and the water taxi had paper work to quickly sort me out onto the correct boat.

Amusingly you board the water taxi on drive land and the boat with you on board is then driven to the beach and out into the water. ( was amusing for every watching to see these boats being dragged through the water by tractor ). Once afloat they took us to the split apple rock and also showed us some seals and their pups. Before dropping us off on our beach. Be aware you do need to step into the sea and walk to shore. Make sure you have shorts etc.

From there I started the 6km walk through the abel tasmin to the point where we would begin kayaking. The walk was from torrent bay to bark bay and was sign posted as to where to go. The walk was pretty easy going ( there people going the other way wearing sandles ) and took me around 1.5 hours. Our guide arrived at the beach with the kayakers he had being guiding in the morning, along with lunch. Lunch was pretty good and included a sandwich, coffee/tea, juice and cake.

After a brief introduction to the kayaks we set sail. ( its two people per kayak so if youre alone you will be assigned a partner ). We were meant to go north but due to strong winds this would have been difficult. So we went south which was still very pleasant.

Our guide for the day was great fun and helped make the day enjoyable, along with the rest of the group. He also gave information about the area and entertained us with a great sense of humour and the odd story here and there.

Afterwards they drive us back to base where they also offered showers and wifi.

Would certainly recommend giving this a try it's a great way to see the Abel Tasmin and from the guides I met ( I talked to a few while waiting to depart and on the bus ) you will have a great time with these people.

Visited March 2016
1 Thank thoward45
SeaKayakCompany, Owner at The Sea Kayak Company, responded to this review, 12 March 2016
Hi Thomas. Thank you for your review. Pleased you enjoyed your day out and hope to see you again some time. Kind regards,Paul and the SKC crew :)