Open today: 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from The Sea Kayak Company tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience The Sea Kayak Company
from US$96.28
from US$165.05
from US$165.05
More Info
All reviews tonga island marine reserve ab fab bark bay water taxi abel tasman stopped for lunch open water fantastic trip national park split apple rock anchorage bay great guide saw seals food was great highly recommend this trip paddling
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We were after a full day of exploring the best parts of the Abel Tasman by kayak and that's what we got......actually we got more. Our guide Kate was friendly, passionate and knowledgeable about the area as well as being happy to take us to a very remote harbour only accessible at high tide. Our fast kayak meant we could explore more of the coastline and Tonga Island then when we were in need for lunch we had a hearty fresh combination of energy food and healthy food!

It was fun being with other kayakers who were all enjoying the perfect weather and the tail wind.

So if you only have one day to see the Abel Tasman then this is the best day you can have - starting at the more secluded Onetahuti beach end where there are fewer people and boats to spoil your view before heading south with the help of the sea breeze.

You'll love it - we did.

Date of experience: January 2012
Reviewed 24 January 2012

My husband and I did the half day Heart of the Park tour on January 23rd. Lucas was our guide and was very personable, knowledgable, and entertaining. The trip was fun and scenic, but didn't go exactly as we had hoped due to a mis-match of kayak abilities in the group as well as weather conditions. We contacted SKC after the fact and they appreciated our feedback and made it right. We were very impressed with their customer service.

Date of experience: January 2012
Reviewed 14 January 2012

The team at Sea Kayak Company were wonderful in helping us plan our trip around Able Tasman and even booked all of our campsites and water taxi for us. We couldn't get them on the phone the couple of times we called so we did all of the communication through email. We went in October so we were expecting some bad weather. The night before our trip it rained all night, and we weren't even sure we were going to have a trip. The water taxi was supposed to meet us at our campsite early in the morning to start the trip and they showed up over an hour late, thankfully we decided to wait it out to see if they were coming. We then took a small trip into one of the inlets in the area, then a hike to a river where we just looked at a place where you can usually slide, but thanks to the rain was now overflowing. We then had a long lunch, which was tasty. Then we attempted to make it to the island with the seals. The tour we signed up for was to kayak with the seals. It was the whole reason I wanted to do the sea kayaking. Due to the current we didn't get very far and had to turn back. I understand the the company can in no way control the conditions, however if I had been told that our trip to kayak with the seals was going to be a little paddle through an inlet and a long lunch instead I might have opted out and saved the money. Had a great experience prior to the trip, just had higher expectations than what was delivered. Probably wouldn't spend the money again. Our water taxi out to our campsite got us closer to the seals than the kayaks did.

Date of experience: October 2011
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I did the five-day kayaking trip (The Eco-Explorer). Every aspect of this trip was perfectly planned from the equipment needed, the great quality (and quantity) of the food and the quality of our sea kayaks. From the moment we arrived we were well looked after by our enthusiastic, adventurous and informative guide, Kyle. He couldn't do enough for us. The areas we explored were exceptional including seal colonies, Cleopatra's Pool, waterfalls, caves and endless beautifully peaceful beaches. There were so many other things that the company did for us to make us more comfortable including delivering new sleeping bags and kayaking jackets via water taxi after there had been a massive downpour of rain. Overall the trip was awesome, fantastic value for money and probably the best trip I've ever done and I highly recommend it.

Date of experience: December 2011
Reviewed 9 January 2012

My partner and I took what was a very Kiwi adventure in the Able Tasman National Park for 3 days with the Sea Kayak Company, something we had always wanted to do. We booked for the full monty a good 2-3 months out as we knew how popular it was for tourists at that time of year. We had a guide for the whole time who provided alot of local knowledge and history on the settlement of the region, along with some humor and encouragement of our paddling skills. We were provided with breakfast, lunch and an evening meal which were all very sustaining. Also we were given the use of sleeping bags and wet weather parkers. We chose to upgrade to our own room as night 1 was a backpakers at Awaroa and night 2 a house boat at the Anchorage, we just wanted a bit more privacy, but for a real experience our travelling companions seemed happy with the shared accomodation. The Sea Kayak Company were friendly and courteous and very helpful when I neglected to take a few items home at the end. We did have our last day in the rain but our guide let us decide if we wanted to paddle or get a pick up, we nominated to paddle which was fine as we were moving the whole time and the van at the end had the heater blasting for us. I would highly recommend other kiwi's get out and enjoy this experience as only 5 -10% do it, I am so glad I am now one of them. Its an idyllic place with alot of bays to explore also the bird life and sea life was amazing to observe, we are lucky to have this place to enjoy on our doorstep.
Denise