All reviews brown trout fly fishing trout fishing new zealand consummate hosts great fishing great guide yellow lab spectacular scenery nelson airport other guests comfortable rooms wonderful food great hosts kate helicopter river
Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Stonefly is a stunning property with the most welcoming hosts John and Kate. We stayed for 5 days and had a life changing experience fishing the backcountry by helicopter each day, with the most amazing guides. Landing 5 and 6 pound trout was the icing on the cake being surrounded by the most spectacular scenery and enjoying great stories from our guide of the day. Special thanks to our guides Arron, Jim and Steve - top notch!! Our time back at the lodge was wonderful, having cocktails and meeting other guests, hearing their day of adventure from horseback riding to sightseeing. Then we’d all enjoy a five star dinner prepared by the chef and staff - over the top! Thank you John, and Kate, we can’t wait to come back!

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2018

In early December 2017, I was on a 2-week business trip to New Zealand and Australia with only a couple days free in between. Amazingly, John and Kate had availability at Stonefly and were able to book me in and get me a great guide. Two fabulous days of fly fishing, including a helicopter trip to the Kahurangi National Park where I was the first person to fish the Waingaro River this season. I'm from the northeast in America and I'm used to fishing some pretty pristine trophy trout stretches of rivers in northern New Hampshire. But WOW, the Waingaro and the monster big brown trout were quite a revelation. Then to come back in the evening to this stunning lodge, completely off the grid (they generate the own electricity with sun, wind, and water), balcony room with river views, world class food, great selection of wines ... well, it was just a spectacular experience. There are only 4 rooms at Stonefly, so you get a chance to know the other guests, and to make friends with their delightful yellow lab, who is the official greeter for the lodge! My guest room was spacious and comfortable. I loved the bathroom, by the way, with a river rock theme in the shower that’s so perfectly appropriate in a fly fishing lodge. Lots of unique touches like that throughout Stonefly that I really enjoyed, such as the use of local timbers in the construction. John and Kate are the loveliest of hosts and took care of every detail, including arranging for a car to pick me up at the Nelson airport. John took the extra effort to warn me in advance that I shouldn't bring my own wading boots because the customs folks would confiscate them in case the felt bottoms might be harboring something picked up in a foreign river that would cause problems in their beautifully protected New Zealand ecology. Stonefly has a fine variety of fly fishing kit for guests to borrow, and I had no problem finding boots and waders to fit me. If I could give them 6 stars, I would! ******

Room tip: All four guest rooms are excellent, all with a balcony and delightful views of the Motueka River.
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank debc362018
Reviewed 7 February 2018

I stayed at Stonefly Jan 2018 for a weeks fishing
Stonefly Lodge is spectacular in its position on a hillside over looking the river. John and Kate are great hosts and every detail is catered for. There are a small number of guests so the atmosphere is very friendly - very comfortable rooms
The food is 5 star and an excellent wine list to accompany
This Trout fishing is well organised with friendly knowledgeable guides with good kit available - a good number of fish to 7lb caught over the week
I’m already looking forward to my return
Mark Kemp

Room tip: All looked good
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 6 February 2018

My wife Janet and I had a great experience at Stonefly Lodge. The owners, John and Kate, work hard to make sure everyone has a great experience. Great rivers and fishing, great guides, outstanding food, very attentive service, and a very warm and inviting environment. We can’t wait to return.

Room tip: All the rooms are excellent. No need to worry which one you're in.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 3 December 2017

Expectations were very high...and were exceeded in all respects!! Great fishing, wonderful food and super hosts...thanks, John and Kate. The Lodge is in a terrific location, overlooking spectacular scenery and the "Mot" river.

Date of stay: November 2017