“Very disappointing ”

The lazy Gecko cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Clarens
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: We specialize in Breakfast, light lunch, pancakes and waffles (savoury and sweet).
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

Full disclosure. The manager dealt with our complaint and we were not charged for any eats.

The service was horribly slow. When our waffles and pancakes finally arrived we were very disappointed. The ice cream that was served with both was yellow, grainy and had a weird chemical taste. The waffles were thin and floppy, and the pancake was very doughy.

I sincerely hope that this establishment can address these problems, because the competition is fierce in this quaint little town. We won't be coming back.

Date of visit: May 2018
Riana R, Owner at The lazy Gecko cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

If it was delt with by myself and all food was taken off your bill, I don't see why you had to leave a review. You did complain about the ice cream, we have had not even 1 complaint over the long weekend over the ice cream and therefor I was shocked when we received your complaint. I even took you the soft serve container so you could see what soft serve we use. I apologized to you so many times,even though your wife said the ice cream was creamy.

I did take it up with the supplier but they also never had a complain about their soft serve.

As for slow service, there were many orders in before your order,including a table of 15 people, all ordering waffles.

Apologies that you were not happy at our establishment

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

They really are lazy geckos . There were 7 tables in total and thus not that busy.
The service are absolutely horrible. I had to go ask for menus as no one saw us taking the table. We waited 20 minutes just to place our order after I asked 3 waiters passing bu to serve us without luck. In the time we sat down till we left 3 other tables got up and left because of no service. The table behind is had to ask 4 times for serviettes, needless to say they never received it.
We ordered bananafee waffle and 2 soda floats. We received the waffle first and when we finished the waiter asked if he could bring the bill, without us even receiving the floats, we asked where our drinks where and his response was the line is to long at counter. He went to prepare the bill, all of the sudden he arrived with the floats saying when he got there is stood waiting..... confusing to say the least. The waffles are ok but most defiantly not worth the wait.

Date of visit: March 2018
Riana R, Owner at The lazy Gecko cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Thank you for your review.

In future, please do not visit a restaurant on a BUSY time if you do not wish to wait. With 5 waiters, I doubt that not even 1 waiter attended to you in 20mins. You were sitting at table 12 and you were here on the busy time of the day. I did in fact make your drinks myself.

Thanks x

Reviewed 5 March 2018

I enjoyed a waffle with ice cream. The waffle was slightly over crisp but still very tasty. I also had a delicious milkshake with it.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

Lovely waffles and amazing milkshakes. Definitely worth the visit when in town! The chocolate mousse milkshake is out of this world!

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 19 December 2017 via mobile

Bad experience at the cafe. Served weak watered down cappuccinos which we complained about. New ones were made which were ultra strong. Big tip - stick to pancakes and remove coffee from the menu. Things only went sour after that - ordered the waffle in the photograph on the menu and god something, while close, different to the photograph.

This cafe will not see us again.

Date of visit: December 2017
Riana R, Owner at The lazy Gecko cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2017

Our cappuccinos are made with a machine, set to a standard cappuccino. In that sence,we can't cater to everyone's idea of the perfect cappucino. As for the pictures on our menu, they are merely an indication of our food,we change our plating often to not make it boring. Sorry for your bad experience at out restaurant