“Breakfast 🙌🏼”

Ranked #11 of 36 Restaurants in Clarens
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Since opening in December 2007, the restaurant has built a reputation for serving one of the best breakfasts in Clarens. Describing his recent breakfast at 278 on Main, Brendan Seery, Executive Editor, The Star said "The omelettes and cappuccinos are the equivalent of the best anywhere in the world."The breakfast menu ranges from cereal with yoghurt and honey for the not so hungry to a hearty English breakfast.On the menu throughout the day are a variety of salads comprising fresh farm produce wherever possible and mouth-watering sweet and savoury pancakes. You'll find many international favourites like toasted cheese & tomato as well as scrumptious treats served on ciabattas or toasted paninis.When the weather is chilly, a bowl of Sue's home-made soup or one of her speciality pasta dishes is always a good option. And if you're not in a hurry, the Beef & Guiness or Chicken & Mushroom pies are well worth waiting for. Or if you're simply in the mood for a sweet treat you can't go wrong with the chocolate brownies, scones and cream or freshly baked muffins.Dinner is always a culinary delight - try the vegetable spring rolls, duck liver pate with toasted ciabatta or the baked camembert with melba toast. Main course specialities include, lamb shank, melt-in-the mouth lamb curry, oxtail and stir fries. End your meal with one of Sue's outrageously decadent desserts.
Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

Was told that this is the place to be for a good breakfast and it was no lie, friendly staff, fast service and good yummy food is the typical vibe at 278 on Main.

Michelle C, Manager at 278 on Main, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2018

Thanks Dylan, what a lovely review.
We're so pleased you enjoyed your breakfast with us!

Reviewed 31 July 2018

We had dinner at the restaurant. The food was very good and my Oxtail was excellent. The wine list is poor and we found the music intrusive rather that softly in the background. The service was good and friendly.

Michelle C, Manager at 278 on Main, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review us Nigel - much appreciated. I am pleased you enjoyed your meal and the service. We will take another look at our wine list and the music is a work in progress - we're working on a better playlist so we hope that you come back next time you're in Clarens to hear it!!

Kind regards

Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

Fresh ingredients all around. Had a pancake that was wonderful. My family members had the apple crumble which was healthy and tasty. Great music and very friendly owner. Go support them!

Michelle C, Manager at 278 on Main, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2018

Thank you Alet - we so enjoyed having you all.
I have passed the compliment on to Sharon, Portia and the other staff - and hope to see you again when you are next in Clarens!

Warm regards

Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

We arrived early morning to a beautifully layed out restaurant. That's were is stopped. The coffee was milky. The French toast was not what was advertised... More like stale bread fried in butter and the breakfasts pizza came with soggy bread,over done eggs and less than to be desirable becaon. Prices were also a tad high for the quality of food.

Michelle C, Manager at 278 on Main, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2018

Hi Kirsty,

I wish you had taken the trouble to speak to me - or any of my staff while you were still at our restaurant and before you finished your meals - the few minutes it has taken you to review us on a public forum would have been so much better spent on giving us direct feedback, and possibly a chance to address your complaints - please believe me we aim to have happy customers and most certainly would have taken your complaints to heart.

Now all we can do is publicly invite you to come again. Please!!

We make our French toast with homemade Brioche not bread - we use pure butter in our kitchen - no margarine and the Breakfast "pizza" is described on the menu - a home-made panini - NOT a pizza base. We are always happy to make a stronger cappuccino (assuming that is what you had, as it is now too late for me to ask).

I am sad and sorry about your disappointing experience. If I sound defensive it's because it seems unfair and one-sided to address the issues in this space without even a mention to me about how you felt at the time. If I am not physically in the restaurant I am never far away and always available. The best I can do now is ask sincerely that you come back next time you're in Clarens and let us try to give the breakfast for which we have a truly good reputation.
Kind regards

Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

Hidden gem, great food, nice owner, involved, cozy and warm on cold night. Will come back and highly recommended