“Family meal”

Price range: US$11 - US$21
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Dog and Gun Inn is an attractive, beautifully restored Yorkshire inn with a traditional atmosphere… A Yorkshire pub where you’ll always get a warm welcome, a superb plate of food and a cracking pint of Yorkshire ale. We are a family run, country pub serving freshly prepared, home cooked food. We welcome well-behaved dogs and children! We're in Malsis, on the outskirts of Keighley near Skipton.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The staff were very friendly and helpful the food was excellent and service was excellent.well looked after but not rushed

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (647)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

One of the lovely pubs in our area. Really enjoyed the food and atmosphere of the Dog and Gun. I can recommend the chicken skewers and the biscoff cheesecake. A lovely night enjoyed by us

Reviewed 10 August 2021

After booking a family meal for seven via email for Saturday 7th August 2021 I received a reply from Anita (one of the owners) advising it had been booked and asked for a phone number and if we were all from one family. Replied stating we were all from the same family and provided a contact telephone number. Did think was rather a strange question to ask considering the covid restrictions prior to freedom day had been about households not families. After travelling 46 miles we arrived at the Dog and Gun and were shown to two tables. On asking why we were on two tables the waitress asked if I had not been informed at the time of booking - Informed her NO I had not, if I had been I would not be stood here. Off she went to see if a larger table was available to accommodate us, returning advising there was not. Following this we decided if we all squashed up we could all fit round one of the tables. Next time the waitress passed I advised her we had all managed to fit on the one table so the other table was free to offer to a ‘walk in’. I thought she was a bit off as gave a kind of glare at me. The same waitress then returned advising we had to sit on the two tables provided as it was policy to do so. I stated I should have been informed at the time of booking we would be on two tables and her cocky reply was ‘You booked it with the owner and she would have told you’. I informed the smug little madam I could prove I had not been informed as I had booked online and had the email as evidence. No way was I being spoken to in that manner and being made out to be a liar. Why the hell would I want to go out out for a family meal for us to be sat on two separate tables with a perspex screen and plant separating the tables. Therefore we got up and left. No where on the pub website or fb page does it state parties over a certain amount will be on two tables. There was five adults, a two year and a six month old, regardless of that restrictions were lifted on 19th July 2021 - freedom day. I have emailed the owners asking why I was not told at the time of booking we would be on two tables due to their restrictions but as yet I have not had a response. This would have saved a lot of time, petrol and upset.

After making a booking last year via email we had to cancel as my Aunty’s mother had died so I rang to cancel. The day after we should have gone I received an email stating the following ‘I take it you didn’t want the table last night’. Totally unprofessional and definitely will not be giving this place any more of my time.

Reviewed 15 July 2021

Called in after a walk with the dogs for lunch, the menu has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous, NO light bites, no lunchtime specials, only Main meals at inflated prices, half of the menu is for frozen food that you can buy and take home, if I had not been walking I would have left and gone elsewhere, we ended up ordering a starter each instead, at silly prices. To cap it off when I went to pay there were dog treats on the bar having 2 dogs with me I asked first if I was ok to give them one each..............wait for it 50p for a SINGLE GRAVY BONE!!!!! LETS TRY AND MAKE MORE MONEY OF THE CUSTOMER!!! absolutely disgusting!! in comparison I called in for a take away coffee on the Sunday in the middle of Farnhill Moor and again dog treats on the counter and was actively encouraged to take a treat FOC for our dog. I did visit the Dog and Gun when lockdown restriction said you could have a substantial mean (Scotch Egg) and they were only serving Main Meals then at inflated prices no baguettes etc..............will not go again and I would strongly advise all to avoid, shame before they were so money grabbing ( and they will have got all the grants available) it was a great pub with a large menu .

Date of visit: July 2021
1  Thank louisehG4581DC
Reviewed 3 July 2021

A rant! So, My daughter and I go for a run out Skipton way and drop off at a pub on the way back - Dog and Gun, Malsis, Keighley - remember the name!

What an experience. We chose from the menu, pointing to the items we wanted which came with new potatoes and peas. We asked if peas could be substituted on one meal with salad. No problem says the waiter. So the meals arise - not a new potato in sight - I got chicken and chips, julie got a salad.

I agreed to keep the chips to save them a problem - well, when I managed to get the fork into them ……. But ok, £6 a meal wasn’t bad.

So, when we ordered dessert, again pointing out the items on the menu at £4 each we were told they only sold one of the items on the main menu - we were only given one menu.

To cut a long story short, the bill arrives £14.95 for the hard frozen chips, frozen peas and half a chicken breast with hard well-grilled cheese on top and about £6 each for desserts.

Well, the fun begins - we questioned the bill. The waiter didn’t seem to understand what we were making a fuss about and brought the Manager. The Manager explained that we’d ordered from the takeaway menu - what???

After explaining to him that we knew nothing about a takeaway menu, explaining all the above he brought some scruffy, obnoxious, arrogant “gentleman” who said he was the owner.

Well another long story but to cut it down he said we’d to pay the bill, less 10% and leave. Didn’t we know that there’d been a lockdown and they needed to make money. I’m sorry Mr Owner but this is not the way to make money. The first time in my 60 odd years I’ve been thrown out of a pub! He showed us some tiny little box on the menu saying you could buy takeaway food. We questioned why the waitress had not questioned what we had ordered - considering we were sitting at a table and had been given a knife and folk each. He said she was new and probably didn’t understand the menu. How are customers expected to understand it if staff don’t.

Anyway, the moral of the story is, avoid this place if you want acceptable food at a reasonable price in pleasant surroundings. How can this man expect to keep his business running and growing with the attitude he has. The menu was wide but not a vegetable other than frozen peas on offer and he’d obviously set the menu up to con customers into paying much more than they expected. If you do takeaway Mr Owner have a separate takeaway menu as other places do, and don’t try to fool your customers. You will loose them and their recommendations. Rant over.

Date of visit: July 2021