Review Highlights
Sunday Roast Cruise

Fantastic trip on the Hydrogen. Highly recommended. Parking nearby on a Sunday £1.00 all day. Two... read more

Reviewed 7 October 2018
riverswimmer
Essex, United Kingdom
via mobile
Excellent Trip with lunch

Wonderful historic barge. Anyhow first things first. Booking online was straightforward. Parking... read more

Reviewed 28 September 2018
sally l
Braintree, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews tower bridge ploughman's lunch the galley well stocked bar afternoon tea below deck cake safety briefing hour trip the river biscuits barge trip ham birthday present wedding reception seafood platter cream tea
Reviewed 10 August 2017

We thoroughly enjoyed our Sunday Sunset cruise aboard Hydrogen. There was an added bonus of having a cocktail singer on board. The cruise itself down the Blackwater was around 2 hours in total. There was a lovely relaxing atmosphere on the boat and all of the staff were very friendly and approachable. There were canapés provided as part of the cost and there was also a bar on board for those who wanted it. Would love to do it again and can't think of a better way of passing a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon. Even though the day was warm it can be a little bit more chilly on the water so advisable to take a sweater or similar.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

I have always wanted to go on a Thames Sailing Barge and booked a 2 hour sailing trip up the river (combined with an onboard cream tea).
Firstly the boat is immaculate.
Such an amazing piece of history.
All the staff were welcoming and were happy to answer questions about the boat as we sailed along.
The only improvement I would recommend would be to have more information of the places you passed as you sailed by.
It was quite an experience to view the boat both above and below deck.
The stairs understandably are quite steep.
So perhaps not for those with 'dodgy knees'.
And lastly...the Scones.
They were homemade and absolutely delicious.
Well done to whoever made them.
I think I might take another trip just for them.

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Just got back from a 2 hour sail and was really impressed. It is fantastic to see these beautiful Essex barges, with such history, being used and loved.
The crew were excellent, all very friendly and welcoming, and the lunch was very good, especially as they catered for vegetarians and gluten free, plus they had a bar on board! Would definitely recommend.

Date of experience: August 2017
1  Thank Amanda W
Reviewed 28 July 2017

I booked a lunch cruise for my husbands birthday, as something a bit different than going for a meal out, and very glad I did, we both thoroughly enjoyed our trip. The crew were enthusiastic, knowledgeable and entertaining. Although I didn't have high hopes for the plough mans lunch which was included in the price, i was proved very wrong. It was wonderful, good selection of salad with quality cheese and divine ham with fresh chunky bread & butter, all finished off with a summer fruit crumble and custard. We ate up on deck (top tip weigh your lettuce down with a pickle on a windy day!) and the whole experience was fabulous. Can't wait to go again.

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed 19 July 2017

Having been on this particular trip several times before, I knew what to expect but it still doesn't disappoint.

Yesterday evenings barge was called 'Kitty' and felt cosier downstairs than 'Hydrogen'. It is organised for our business networking group but I also take my children who love it (at writing this they are aged 13 and 10 but have been coming for the last 2 years).

The host and staff are always wonderful and happy to talk to Customers about the barge and even get a go on the wheel.

You can take a picnic pr have food provided - we had a mix of the Ploughmans and Seafood platter, both are delicious.

Even on a hot day like it was yesterday the evenings can be quite cold, so would recommend always packing a warmer jacket or coat so you don't miss the views.

Would highly recommend for family, couples or business trips.

1  Thank Nicola T