Review Highlights
Works Christmas do

Absolutely brilliant. Had a very good night, food was really good and hot. Staff were lovely and... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
susiew1972
via mobile
Sunday Roast Cruise

Fantastic trip on the Hydrogen. Highly recommended. Parking nearby on a Sunday £1.00 all day. Two... read more

Reviewed 7 October 2018
riverswimmer
Essex, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews tower bridge ploughman's lunch the galley well stocked bar afternoon tea below deck cake safety briefing hour trip the river biscuits barge trip ham birthday present wedding reception seafood platter cream tea
Reviewed 9 August 2017

I have always wanted to go on a Thames Sailing Barge and booked a 2 hour sailing trip up the river (combined with an onboard cream tea).
Firstly the boat is immaculate.
Such an amazing piece of history.
All the staff were welcoming and were happy to answer questions about the boat as we sailed along.
The only improvement I would recommend would be to have more information of the places you passed as you sailed by.
It was quite an experience to view the boat both above and below deck.
The stairs understandably are quite steep.
So perhaps not for those with 'dodgy knees'.
And lastly...the Scones.
They were homemade and absolutely delicious.
Well done to whoever made them.
I think I might take another trip just for them.

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Just got back from a 2 hour sail and was really impressed. It is fantastic to see these beautiful Essex barges, with such history, being used and loved.
The crew were excellent, all very friendly and welcoming, and the lunch was very good, especially as they catered for vegetarians and gluten free, plus they had a bar on board! Would definitely recommend.

Date of experience: August 2017
1  Thank Amanda W
Reviewed 28 July 2017

I booked a lunch cruise for my husbands birthday, as something a bit different than going for a meal out, and very glad I did, we both thoroughly enjoyed our trip. The crew were enthusiastic, knowledgeable and entertaining. Although I didn't have high hopes for the plough mans lunch which was included in the price, i was proved very wrong. It was wonderful, good selection of salad with quality cheese and divine ham with fresh chunky bread & butter, all finished off with a summer fruit crumble and custard. We ate up on deck (top tip weigh your lettuce down with a pickle on a windy day!) and the whole experience was fabulous. Can't wait to go again.

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed 19 July 2017

Having been on this particular trip several times before, I knew what to expect but it still doesn't disappoint.

Yesterday evenings barge was called 'Kitty' and felt cosier downstairs than 'Hydrogen'. It is organised for our business networking group but I also take my children who love it (at writing this they are aged 13 and 10 but have been coming for the last 2 years).

The host and staff are always wonderful and happy to talk to Customers about the barge and even get a go on the wheel.

You can take a picnic pr have food provided - we had a mix of the Ploughmans and Seafood platter, both are delicious.

Even on a hot day like it was yesterday the evenings can be quite cold, so would recommend always packing a warmer jacket or coat so you don't miss the views.

Would highly recommend for family, couples or business trips.

1  Thank Nicola T
Reviewed 18 July 2017

My husband and I and two friends had an enjoyable day on the Barge Thistle as she followed the Thames Barge race - however as said by another reviewer we did not embark until 7am on the morning of the race instead of the advertised 6.30am and had to disembark at 3.30pm instead of the advertised 4pm so that Thistle could make her way into London - this meant that we had an hour less on the barge than we paid for.

If you enjoy watching boats racing then this is a good day, however you are so far away from the shore that those thinking about sightseeing will be disappointed.

For us (two of us are sailors) the best part of the trip was watching the barges tacking back to the finish line, however, this was cut short as Thistle had to get back into Gravesend to make her way up to London.

The food was ample but I have to admit that we were disapointed with the Rosemary and Tomato Chicken which we had for lunch, which we found tasteless - just chicken breast cooked in a can of tomatoes.

It was an interesting day but I would not bother again - however, I am considering the trip down the Thames and under Tower Bridge which maybe a bit more interesting.

Date of experience: July 2017
Stephanie V, Owner at Topsail Charters - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2017

Dear Pamela

Thank you for your review and comments and hopefully I can answer your questions.
Regarding timing, on the morning Thistle had to let two other barges come out from the pier so she could come alongside to board you safely - the skipper wasn't happy with our guests climbing over two barges without gangplanks, so this would account for the delay in the morning.
I'm not sure what time the actual race finished, but coming back half an hour early would not necessarily be because Thistle was heading up to London afterwards - it was a long day, and perhaps the skipper decided coming back half an hour earlier would be better for most guests - I'm not sure on this one, but I'm sorry if this was a disappointment.
With our main course on public trips, we have to cater for a very wide variety of tastes, so try to choose dishes that suit everyone. The chicken dish is made with white wine, anchovies, fresh rosemary and tomatoes, so we try to make it as tasty as we can without putting off those guests with plainer tastes.
Kind Regards