“Used to be nice”
Review of The Magpie

The Magpie
Reserve with OpenTable
The Magpie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 22 Restaurants in Sunbury
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Magpie prides itself at being at the heart of the community welcoming both the locals and those from further afield. In the summer its open and airy with an amazing garden terrace that is so close to the river you can moor your boat up. In the winter The Magpie is cozy with open fires and comfy seating you can have a drink or meet some friends for a meal Upstairs we have a restaurant area with its own self contained bar that overlooks the river Thames that is great for anything from a romantic meal to an unforgettable birthday party. You can park across the road in the Walled Garden car park for £2.5 Per day an even better reason to come and visit your friends in Sunbury.
Reviewed 3 May 2018

Location-wise, overlooking the Thames, it is perfect, especially on a sunny day. However The Magpie is not a pleasant place, and I do not think there is reason to rush back. Shame, we visited there years ago and it was great.

Brian M, Guest Relations Manager at The Magpie, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2018

Dear LondonTraveller,

Thank you for your review here at The Magpie.
While the 3 star review is kind, you are somewhat vague on exactly why we aren't a pleasant place, nor why there would be no reason to rush back?
I see you visited some years ago, have you been recently? If so perhaps some clarity as to what would make you think this way.
The pub has undergone massive improvements in the years since your visit and if you enjoyed it then, we feel you should enjoy it even more now.
Perhaps you would like to contact us at the pub and bring your experiences to light so we may improve on whatever areas you felt made us an undesirable location so we may improve further, if not, I feel that would be the true shame here.

Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

It’s been a while since I drank in the Magpie. We normally go to the Phoenix or the White Horse, down the road a little.

It was fine in the Magpie, but I always find that the range of beers rarely offers me anything that I know I like. So I end up having to take a punt on something I’ve never had before. As usual, I didn’t like what I chose and we left after just one drink.

Brian M, Guest Relations Manager at The Magpie, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2018

Dear Mike B,

Thank you for your review of us here at The Magpie. I was disappointed to read that you find our range of beers not to your liking. We aim to stand out more than the other local pubs in Sunbury by offering more varied craft beers along with the traditional beers found in every other pub. In doing so, we have given smaller breweries the chance to showcase their exceptional beers, and, at the same time, hope to change the minds of regular consumers by exposing them to alternative beers that many end up making their "regular" pint a thing of the past.
We do hope you come in and try some of our beers again, the Beavertown Neck Oil is a personal favorite of mine.

Reviewed 8 April 2018

I don’t wish to sound disparaging but this was not a good place to eat.

We had recently read a very positive review from our local journal extolling the virtues of The Magpie and felt as locals we should give it a go.

I have to say that we have already had bad experiences at this establishment but we were keen to see if the place had improved, and sadly we were even more disappointed.

There were a few dishes which were not available, which is quite surprising as one would expect a Saturday evening to be the busiest time of the week.

We did express our dissatisfaction to the manageress, who blamed the head chef for not ordering in sufficient quantities of food.

We eventually chose our food, and in fairness it came very quickly, which is great, but there were only three other tables occupied in the restaurant.

The food quality was acceptable but sadly, not worthy of note, and in my opinion a little overpriced. If it had been good quality, then we would have had no complaints about the food.

I must also comment on the service which was unfortunately well below par, we waited at least 10 minutes before we were given a menu, and a further 10 minutes before our drinks order was taken, and probably 20 minutes in anempty restaurant to get the bill - not good at all !!

Needless to say we did not pay the “included” service charge which was added to our bill.

Having spoken to both the manageress and our waiter to express our disappointment, I have to say that neither of these conversations was particularly well received, so we are quite unhappy with our dining experience at The Magpie and I do not think we are likely to return again.

I

Dear John P,

Thank you for your review of us here at The Magpie. Firstly, let me apologize for the missing items upon your visit. We were much busier than anticipated on the day of your booking and the levels of food did not match the trade for the day. While this is unacceptable from a consumers point of view, it is a struggle we encounter in a fresh food pub at times. Kitchen par levels have since been amended to prevent such things from happening again.

As far as how the management came across to you upon expressing your concerns on the day, again, we must apologize. It was unprofessionally handled. The service team do try hard, however, wait times for drinks and receiving your bill were longer than we as a business want to see. The staff have been given extra training in the weeks since to create a better environment from the customers point of view.

We would very much like to see you try The Magpie again. If you would like to contact us at the pub we can arrange something for you to compensate for your poor visit. I'm certain should you choose us again, the memory of this night will be erased

Reviewed 22 March 2018

Had lunch there. Sea bass with duck egg was fantastic. My husband was delighted with his smoked fish dish. Went back three days later, had the same again and it was super!

1  Thank Marta P

Dear Marta,

Thank you for your review of us at The Magpie. We are lucky to have a team of chefs who are passionate about the food they serve, and I am happy it was well received by your partner and yourself.
We hope you come back again this summer and try our new seasonal menu.

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

The rugby was on so they had two TV's on so that was great. Good wine list. Tables could have done with a clean but it was quite busy. Was contemplating eating as the menu looked nice but we had booked somewhere else.

1  Thank JC-the-organiser

Dear JC,

Thank you for your review of us at The Magpie. We hope you will be back with us soon to enjoy the beautiful summer and to try the food. Our team are well versed at pairing the lovely wines to your meal.