All reviews on stilts game drives organic garden stilt houses pugdundee safaris pre dinner filtered water naturalist driver communal table great naturalist stainless steel the cottages the general manager sloth bear great sightings meal times comfortable rooms
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

The moment you step in , one gets this food feeling about the place... they welcome you like royalty but give you space
The room I stayed in was spacious and the bathrooms are big (unlike hotels) . Everything provided like shampoo and conditioner are of natural kinda stuff. Towels are crisp and clean and the beds are very comfortable.
The most amazing part was in the mornings... cacophony of bird calls and twittering...it is amazing at the amount of birds I watched sitting on my balcony,the binoculars that I invested in was worth every penny ..
The hospitality needs special mention.. fantastic. I find that small places turn out to be better than any 5 star rated places. This place is 6 star based on different parameters...You are treated like royalty
I spent some time with the GM and Chef ..both very interesting folks and a pleasure was mine to have met them..Thank you for everything..
PS: The Mango Coconut Ice cream was delicious

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sunitfenn
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

Wonderful place neat clean simple with warm and courteous staff ever willing to assist you. Sporadic internet and phone connectivity- only BSNL works if it wills so - rather a blessing as it allows you to enjoy the space - lot of space to walk around with possibility to sight a variety of birds. Lovely food -from home grown garden -though of limited choice- I would say again it is a blessing as it is good for your health

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank darselvan
Reviewed 6 June 2018

I am into the field of wildlife photography since last 9 years. I use to visit different National Parks and Sanctuaries for photography. Recently, I have visited Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve and stayed with Kings Lodge - Pugdundee Safaris for the first time for the duration of 4 Nights 5 Days. At the end of my stay i came to a conclusion that this is the best property i have stayed in last 9 years. Surroundings, atmosphere, service, staff, cottages, interior, cleanliness, food everything was just perfect. And, in house naturalists of the Kings Lodge are so knowledgable and experienced that not even a single moment in the forest can be missed from their eyes. They have complete information about the National Park. They are very good at identification of birds available inside the park. Also they are very much sharp to predict the moment of tiger in the forests. I can only say, if someone want to enjoy the peace and beauty of nature, then Kings Lodges Bandhavgarh is the only place to make your visit memorable.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank KeyurN8
Reviewed 31 May 2018

We stayed at Kings Lodge for 4 nights in April. The lodge was very nice and well appointed. We enjoyed the food and were always given plenty, the best food of our 2 week safari. The room was very nice and the a/c worked well. They did not use bottled water, which made us nervous, but the water filling station was great and we had no issues with the water. They had a nice pool and sitting area which we enjoyed for drinks a couple nights. We did not use guides from the camp so I cannot speak to the guiding, but everyone that did seemed pleased. We saw tigers on every drive while at Kings, 11 different tigers in total. It was about 10-15 minute drive to whichever gate you were going to. We would have no issue recommending Kings and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher the room number...the farther the walk to the main area (dining/pool)
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank E B
Reviewed 25 May 2018

We spent just two nights at Kings Lodge before checking out their sister property Treehouse Hideaway (also in Bandhavgarh). Overall we enjoyed our stay and would recommend Kings Lodge.

The reason I have given it 4/5 instead of 5/5 is because we personally preferred Treehouse and a few of Pugdundee's other properties (just due to our personal preference of rustic vs resort) and also because we have spent a LOT of time on safari in South Africa and so our expectations were probably pretty high as a result. The safari industry is much less mature in India so it probably wasn't a fair comparison, but we did find there to be some (small) gaps when comparing the two.

We received a friendly and warm welcome to the lodge, and were given a great introduction to the schedule. Our first meal was a bit disappointing (again, personal preference) but every meal after that was really delicious. Loved the naan and dessert with every meal! Also the food is not at all spicy (chilli), which is something I was a bit worried about. You certainly get well-fed, with 3-4 courses for lunch and dinner. The nightly lectures were also a nice touch for people who are interested in learning more.

We stayed in one of the cottages that were not on stilts and it was right next to another cottage. We thought it might be a bit less private as a result but to be honest we never noticed our neighbours! This would also be a good option for families or groups. Other than close proximity to the neighbouring cottage it was relatively private, though the pathway in front of cottage means you need to have blinds closed if you intend on walking around in anything other than modest clothing!

The room is large with a big king bed and also a nice day bed area and a small desk. The bathroom was huge, with a very large shower and also a bath, however the bath was not the most inviting bath I've come across! The shower was great though. The room also had air conditioning and a fan - very handy as we were visiting in summer. Overall I found the room very comfortable and more than what you need, though it may be ageing a little. It's not quite five star but a very solid four star accommodation.

The lodge is an excellent choice for families and those looking for a full resort experience. They have a spa and a pool, as well as other activities you can take advantage of during the day (and of course the safari activities). The size also makes Kings very suitable for large groups. During my time I had a very relaxing massage at a very reasonable price, it was a nice way to recover from jetlag :) We also used the pool, but found that it was catering more to kids as it was very shallow the whole way along! Also worth noting that the pool is at the main area, so if you are someone (like me) that prefers privacy when going out in your swimwear, you may be a bit disappointed by this.

One thing that I felt let the place down (and something we found everywhere we stayed in India) is the lack of drinks service! We were only asked for a drink order once during our stay (during one of the lectures) and we didn't even know about the bar until we discovered it ourselves. This was a big difference when compared to lodges in Africa, who are very diligent about asking you if you would like a drink (other than water, which they were very good at providing and filling up). Once we realised we weren't going to be asked, we simply asked the staff ourselves so that was fine, just something to be aware of. Another cultural thing to be aware of if you are coming from overseas is that dinner is very late in India! They typically eat after 8pm. So basically it means once you have all your 4+ courses you don't get to bed until 10pm or later... and then you have to get up before 5am for your safari (depending on the month you travel)! It means you get pretty tired but of course you can nap during the day between safari drives.

In terms of game viewing, we weren't as lucky as most people during our stay at Kings Lodge because we arrived during an unseasonable storm, which led to a quiet couple of days in the park for everyone. This being said Bandhavgarh was probably the best place for tiger sightings out of all places we visited (possibly also Tadoba but the two are very different - feel free to message me if you'd like more info on comparison). We visited Bandhavgarh, Kanha, Pench and Tadoba. So while we only saw one tiger in the 3 drives at Kings Lodge, we managed to see a lot more during our 4 drives at Treehouse Hideaway as the hot weather dried up the rain after a day or so.

The naturalists at Kings are high quality and they definitely showed they had the knowledge to find tigers if they were there to be found.

One thing I didn't like about Kings Lodge compared to their sister property and some other lodges is that they took you to the forest guide admin place to pick up your guide before your drive. This is not a huge issue but it just means you're left sitting on the vehicle for 10-15 minutes while your naturalist goes and collects your guide. This is obviously 10-15 minutes you could be sleeping! Added on to the 10-15+ minutes' drive to your gate and then the time you need to wait at the gate before it opens... well it all eats into your free time. It would be much nicer if they arranged the forest guide separately, like Treehouse and other lodges do.

I will write a separate review of Treehouse Hideaway but we preferred it as a more rustic and personal lodge. However if you're looking for convenience and access to a full resort experience as well as quality naturalists who will do everything they can to get you good sightings, then Kings Lodge is definitely a good option!

Room Tip: Try to get a cottage on stilts for the privacy and view.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple