“train trekking from the main line to Andalsnes along one of the most scenic lines in Norway”

Andalsnes Train Chapel
Ranked #9 of 11 things to do in Andalsnes
More attraction details
Owner description: Church on rail. Welcome to the first and only train chapel in Norway - probably also the only one in the world - which has stopped by the platform of the end station of the Rauma Line andalsnes. This old and venerable railway carriage was a gift from the Norwegian State Railway, and which through a long life has served busy people on travel, will now serve as a small house of God to give people silence and peace in an otherwise noisy world. The chapel was consecrated by bishop Odd Bondevik on the 10th of June 2003 in the presence of our royal couple, king Harald and queen Sonja.
Reviewed 1 April 2017

This review is principally about the train travel to Andalsnes from the north-south main line. I did not see the train chapel at that time. It must not have been built yet. I discovered this line for train trekking in Western Norway just on purpose because I had heard about it being described as the second most scenic route by train in Norway. This took place years ago and was many days in the planning years ago long before the range of calendar dates available for competing this review. No need to travel to this city by cruise ship as train travel was better for the scenery along the route.I was coming down from the northern regions of Norway southward from Bodo and I decided to get off the train and travel to Andalsnes - best decision I ever made. Scenery is magnificent. I do not recall hearing about a train chapel. Train chapel might not have been constructed yet or it was in its infancy in a planning stage, but I was concentrating on seeing the scenery leading up the city on the coast. It was in this city that I ate fish caught in Norwegian waters. Herring. I did not want to train to stop and I wanted to take the same journey twice and I did. The harbor was worth my time. I am not an enamored fan of cruise ship travel when the alternative is train travel. Train travel is better. I remember seeing several things in many locations near the railway station but I do not recall seeing a chapel. No old railway carriage was there to be seen for visiting the chapel. Nevertheless it was worth my time to write about it so many years later as it made my vacation to Norway just that much better. I concentrated on seeing the city and its harbor as well as the scenic landscape along the way - that is why I came to this city. This is the only way for me to review my visit there. I am a railway buff - not really a train spotter - but I like to travel by train. Cruise ship travel does not appeal to me. I cannot answer specific questions concerning the chapel. First time I visited a grocery store to buy some herring! Eating herring for lunch in the harbor was worth my time too. Buy a collection of photographs. This is a super little town to quote the words of another traveler. The harbor and train station made it so much better. Walk through the town. Admire the housing types or styles. Visit the city hall buildings and get a map of the street patterns. Public library is something to visit. I was mesmerized by the setting of the town and the engineering needed to construct the rail-way line.Yes, this is a harbor city to welcome cruise ships. But I paid attention to the railway line as one of the most scenic ones in Norway. Take the train!

Reviewed 24 March 2017 via mobile

Visited the chapel when on a cruise, quite unique, the only one of it's kind in Norway. Located next to the port and beside the train station building at the end of the Rauma line.
The railway carriage has been converted into a small chapel with a small altar in the centre. It was consecrated in June 2003.
The chapel is open all year round and well worth a visit.

Reviewed 9 March 2017 via mobile

Visited today as part of our P and O cruise. Absolutely lovely. Peaceful. Thought provoking. A miss if you are in this super little town

Reviewed 8 September 2016

This was totally unexpected. A really delightful chapel in an old railway carriage. The alter is made from old railway sleepers with railway lines holding them together and a cross made from rails. It is very peaceful well maintained .It was right opposite our cruise ship. Well worth a visit even if you are not of a religious disposition.