“Good value”
Review of Wet 'n' Wild

Wet 'n' Wild
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Wet 'n' Wild is the North East's largest indoor water park. Situated in North Shields, just beside Royal Quays shopping centre, Wet 'n' Wild offers 10 exciting thrill rides, a great cafe, a children's mini water park, fully stocked shop and a host of fully trained staff. Tackle the Kamikaze, enjoy Calamity Canyon or kick back and watch the kids from the comfort of the Beach Hut Cafe, serving Costa Coffee. Free car parking and wifi for all. Wet 'n' Wild also hosts birthday parties, in their party zones.
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Visited with my 6 year old and 12 year old. Thoroughly enjoyed the water slides and wave machine. Only downside was we booked online which stated you had to print off a copy of the booking confirmation for each person - so that meant 4 copies. It didn’t tell us this when we went to book, only once it had confirmed. Had trouble printing this at home so had to go out and borrow a friends printer to print this off. (Wish we’d have just paid the extra and paid on the door). Anyway we got there to find that you could just show your email confirmation on your phone (which we expected to do when we booked). Could have saved ourselves the bother printing it off! We know for next time just a shame they don’t update their system for online bookings!

5  Thank IbizaIbizaIbiza
"school holidays"
in 14 reviews
"locker token"
in 4 reviews
"changing rooms are small"
"four hours"
in 8 reviews
"fab"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 14 April 2018

deff. need some refurb. and diy done. on top of it was just cold in there, everyone was just shaking, water wasnt warm either. wasted money.

1  Thank owl69
Reviewed 13 April 2018

My friend and I decided to take a trip to Newcastle simply for this waterpark and needless to say we were extremely disappointed. Firstly, the changing rooms are dirty and small, followed by cold or broken trickling showers. We both work in the leisure industry, as lifeguards, and the lifeguards here are rude, uninterested and have absolutely no guest service skills what so ever. It is very clear they have a lack of training. It is so unorganised, people taking rings over and over again leaving people to line up for a while, not a fair system. Overall, this wasn't a very good experience at all, and we are very disappointed.

2  Thank Aee19952017
Reviewed 7 April 2018

We visited this place a few years ago and it was very shabby. We'd assumed that it was waiting for a refurb or something as there was so much bodging-up and temporary 'fixes' that it was almost funny.... Well, we decided to drive up from Whitby as an alternative to Alpamare in Scarborough (which is smaller, more expensive, but cleaner, serves beer, and you're less likely to die of hypothermia) so we made the 90 minute journey.
The car park was pretty full so we knew it was going to be busy and we were right. Perhaps it was the high footfall that overwhelmed the few members of staff, which in turn meant the place was filthy? Perhaps the majority of the patrons were some sort of demolition delinquents? That would explain why the place was in such a state? There was rubbish all over the floor in the changing areas. Many of the cubicles were the sort of thing you'd encounter in a Vietnamese prison. Although I doubt a prison would have used sanitary wear littered around the place and used nappies kicked into the shadows...... And what's the crack with leaving your clothes in the cubicles?! I know using the lockers is a bit of a faff with having to buy a £2 token (of which you only get £1 back) but surely that's preferable to walking home in your cossy because someone's gone off wearing your (standard issue) tracksuit?! Or perhaps if you have a set of 'pool clothes' that you leave in case they do get nicked? Who knows?
Pools:.....very cold. Plenty of detritus swirling about which seemed to be an added attraction for the very young kids to play with. The quality of the 'water' was rather dubious. It was grey and slimy. More of a 'skin and body-fluid soup' than water and had a definitely had a taste of pea (pee?) and ham. Perhaps this is to make the slides more slippery?
The Lazy River was utterly bone idle. It was barely moving which meant the only way to make progress was to either shuffle along on your knees or wade. Wading meant you got frostbite before you got halfway round, knee-shuffling meant you were down to bare bone within 5 minutes.
Slides: it was a long wait for the inflatable do-nuts, which can't be helped when the place is busy, but because it was so cold inside, the chattering teeth and knocking knees sounded like the Blue Man Group were rehearsing poolside. The staff were indifferent as to who used the slides, and when. Sometimes they'd let groups launch themselves en masse, which caused all manner of pile-ups. Sometimes, they'd hold the queue until the stairs filled up with shivering purple-lipped folks, even though the slides and landing pools were empty. Perhaps they missed someone exit and assumed they were taking the scenic route down? Via Hartlepool?
Scruffy décor is a sign of lack of investment, which is obvious, but the state of the place is a dangerous disgrace. I told a member of staff that there was a displaced cracked tile on the stairs, which resulted in a 1" shard of tile sticking up. "Yeah. We know" seemed an acceptable way to deal with it..... It's probably this train of thought that has resulted in the 'repairs' to the other parts of the facility? Missing tile? Yeah, duct tape over it. Cracked windows? Yeah, masking tape. Fire-door locks broken? Yeah, wedge it shut with a folded paper-cup, then put duct tape on it. Bump-protectors missing off bump-hazards? Hmm. Tricky this one. Leave it and you risk a serious head wound if someone walks into it. Hmm.....duct tape won't fix it. The paper-cup is still holding the fire door shut. Meh, leave it. There's plenty of sticky-plasters floating about to treat a laceration.
Unfortunaely for me (but not my wallet), my kids are hardy stock and used to the cold weather so they ignored the Baltic temperatures, which meant I had to endure the 'experience' for almost four hours....mostly spent waiting in line. Incidentally, I offer no apologies for telling the rude little queue-jumpers how waiting works. It seemed an alien concept to them. I even had to explain it to their parents, more than once.
Rave music: what the Holy hens socks is that all about? Rave music in a swimming pool? Is that even a thing? When did that happen? Whatever, at 4pm, the place was reverberating with a hullabaloo not heard since the 1990s on the Tuxedo Princess. This was enough to annoy my kids out of the soup.
Showers: with only three of the showers producing any sort of moisture, you'd think there'd be some warm water? Nope. Colder than the pools. In fact colder than the North Sea. This ensured a swift exit for my offspring which meant we got to endure the changing-ghetto sooner. Again, plenty of cubicles 'in-use' by piles of clothes and floors that resembled a trawlers bilge. Wading through the rubbish in the café cured my kids hunger until we got the chocolate vending machine, strategically placed next to the locker token refund machine.
In summary: Get a manager. There obviously isn't one in place as anyone who had a responsibility for the building wouldn't want this sort of hazard on their shoulders when they're stood in the dock facing a Judge. This new manager could sort out the staff. The ones that were up-to task (there were a few) could train those who hadn't realised they were at work. The place has loads of potential but is only a few (broken) steps away from being derelict. Like a colder, wetter, Housesteads......

22  Thank Owelly B