See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 December 2016

We stayed at this boutique hotel 3 years ago and it was fab and quirky, but also how things have changed, the sinks were blocked the bed had a mind of its own, there was no restaurant or bar, just generally the place was very rundown we felt for $120 a night it was an absolute ripoff,

Room Tip: sleep in your car would be better
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gregory L
Reviewed 8 October 2015

We had 1 night stay over the weekend and were first greeted by the owners teenage daughter?? I never met a manager or anyone else. This young girl was lovely, she quickly showed us our room and where the toilet was then she was gone! I think there was one other group of people staying there that night and I swear the guy was destroying all the toilets. The two communal toilets upstairs that night had been crapped in, skidmarks left in the toilet bowl and one of them got blocked and smelt like something had died. The other toilet where the showers were.. the light didn't work so that was scary at night time. Nice building but smells like dead old lady. The bed was soft and uncomfortable, sinking and rolling into the middle of the bed with my partner. Paper thin pillows which did not support my head at all.. as well as paper thin walls! Could hear this lady's conversation on her phone in the room next to us at 10pm at night. Shut the hell up lady no need to speak and shout into the phone. The balcony outside our room is nice, sitting out there in the evening and a little black cat comes purring along. Is this the hotels cat? I don't know but she felt pregnant to me! Like she was about to drop kittens in the next week. DAMNIT PEOPLE GET YOUR ANIMALS DESEXED! fair to say it was an experience staying at the Mokena hotel last weekend. As we were leaving in the morning I needed to go number 2 in the toilet so sure enough I didn't use the upstairs toilets because they had been destroyed by someone else, I went down stairs to the toilets next to the restaurant. As I went to flush the toilet the bowl filled up with water and my poop is flying around in circles. I just had to leave it, I didn't know what else to do. I thought about telling the staff but no one was at the reception part as we were leaving so I left my key on the bench and gapped it. Fair to say the building needs some plumbing work as well as a whole lot of other maintenance work! One last thing... I'm pretty sure this hotel is haunted!

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JessxX24
Reviewed 4 June 2015

There's a fire station next door, so at 3 am we were woken up from a fire alarm going off... Wifi is very limited (doesn't work in bedroom at all). This place could use a good and thorough cleaning, there were spiders everywhere.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Chelsea R
Reviewed 26 February 2015

Our 1 night stay was almost 1 night too much. The pictures taken are historic and admittedly it was January when it's out of season, but the place was only inhabited by the residents and the 3 of us.
Even though we were upgraded and the manager was more than helpful, the entire place needs a major overall and upgrade. It is said you do get what you pay for, but .............
The continental breakfast consisted of some bread for toast with jam, jelly with fruit and tea or coffee, stored in a small old fridge in the room. The electrics work but off of lots of extension leads.
The decor was eclectic with loads of hairy rugs and bed throwovers.
The entire building could be fantastic as its well located, so I hope the owners spend time and money bringing it up to the standards it is advertising.
One to miss at the moment.
U.K. travellers.

Room Tip: Not able, all of the rooms we saw or were offered were old and dated.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank marathon50
Reviewed 19 January 2015

Mokena Hotel has a grand, old school, charm, it's like stepping back in time to a New Zealand you can sometimes think has disappeared. It was a lovely place with lovely staff who went out of their way to help. If your keen on a journey into the past then this is the place for you. I'll definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends