“Underwhelming Atmosphere”

Neptune Diving Adventure Moalboal & Santander
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The First and Leading PADI 5 star IDC Center in Cebu! For over 20 years we have trained and guided thousands of scuba divers in Moalboal and in Santander, Cebu, Philippines: here you will find plenty of information on scuba diving, PADI Dive Courses, PADI Nitrox, dive safaris that will bring you from Moalboal and Santander in Cebu to Bohol Is, Negros Is or Siquijor Is. Accommodation, beach resorts, hotels and restaurants in Cebu City, Moalboal and Santander. Additionally you will find useful information on PADI Leadership Education and Tropical Marine Biology Courses, Shark and Whalewatch in the Philippines. Dive in Moalboal, PADI Moalboal,
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Baby buggy parking, Stairs / lift, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 7 May 2018

A friend and I checked out Neptune Divers when we arrived in Moalboal. We met one of the Dive Instructors, Jonas, who was warm, friendly and approachable. He got us excited about the dive sites in the area and we decided to sign up to a dive the following day.

When we arrived for the dive the next day it was a little unclear to us what we needed to do. Equipment was handed to us for trying. The equipment is pretty worn; there were tears on the wetsuits and socks and the masks were a little grimy. Not a deal-breaker but it felt a little low-budget).

We checked our equipment (help wasn't offered so it's worth brushing up on how to do this before you go on the dive), got on a boat with some other people and drove to the site. We were given a brief that lasted approx 30 seconds - name of the dive master, name of the site, length of the dive, current, names of 2/3 marine animals we might spot, how to enter the water, and a reminder to notify the dive master at 100 and 50 bar. The dive master didn't recap any other signals, didn't attempt to pair us up or remind us to do buddy checks, etc.

The dive itself was great, due to the beautiful marine life. We didn't hugely appreciate the dive master turning over the coral, and it was frustrating for my buddy who hit 50 bar and had to use up another 15 chasing the dive master who was quite a way ahead (she had notified him at 100).

When we surfaced, the dive master got out of the water, walked back ahead of the group and disappeared. When we arrived back at the centre he was nowhere to be found to help us with logbooks. We were told to rinse our things and go. There was no debrief or 'thanks for coming', etc.

We returned later to complete our logbooks. The dive master didn't get up out of his seat. He yelled the visibility, depth, duration, etc. stats across the courtyard in Filipino to the guy on the front desk, who relayed them to us.

Overall, we enjoyed the dive because of the beauty of the site. In comparison to other dive centres I've visited around the world, this dive master made the least attempt to provide an engaging service:
- All customers left to their own devices in terms of checking equipment and finding a buddy
- No recaps or support for less experienced divers
- No attempt to create a positive atmosphere, get us excited about the dive, etc.
- No real debrief and a weak brief
- A general 'can't be bothered' attitude from the dive master.

It's a shame that we didn't get to dive with Jonas, or any of the other instructors mentioned in the other reviews - it sounds like other customers had a great time with these individuals.

I suggest asking who your dive master will be before booking the dive (I can't remember the name of the one we had - I think it was Johnny). Also, I suggest recapping your equipment checks, bringing your own equipment if possible, and bringing your own buddy as you may not be assigned one.

Date of experience: April 2018
"clams"
in 4 reviews
"nice dive"

Reviewed 29 April 2018

Enjoyed the walls of Moalboal although I do think 2 or 3 days is enough. Pescador is worth doing a couple of times. Nice dive centre.

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Just did my padi there and loved it so much! They took pretty good care of me and I felt very comfortable all the time. Thank you so much :) Was fun diving with you!!

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Neptune was recommended to us by one of the other diving centres that we intended to go with but didn’t have any spaces left. The guy there was very helpful and told us that this was one of the only other highly thought of centres in panagsama and that we would for sure be looked after. To be completely honest we were a disappointed with things, maybe this was because our expectations were high to start with, but we didn’t feel that we were looked after at all. Firstly, on the day we popped into book onto the boat dive for the following day the Filipino lady behind the desk took 30 seconds or more to even acknowledge the fact that we were standing at the desk.(There was nobody else in the centre at the time so she was not busy). When she could finally be bothered to look at us she wasn’t particularly friendly or helpful. We asked a few questions and got short or even one worded answers. Anyway we can get over a rude receptionist so booked on anyway, not letting this paint a picture of the diving school. When we arrived the next day nobody at all greeted us and introduced themselves, or even briefed us on what was going to happen. As we had literally completed our open water a few weeks before and not dived since we were very nervous so this made things less enjoyable. We were given kit that the receptionist from the day before assumed would fit us and told to try it all on. At this point still none of who we assumed were instructors had said anything to us. We sat very awkwardly on our own untill told to walk down to the boat. When we got on board still none of the four instructors/guides spoke or told us their names, or asked what level divers any of us were. When we arrived at Pescador Island finally one of them said that we would split into two groups of 4 with an instructor each. That was all the information we got before we entered the water. I was very rusty and had forgotten some basics from the open water course and when I got in the water my regulator starting shooting air manically. The instructor seemed furious and just rushed over and told me not to put it under water upside down in a rude way. The dive was quite good and things ran smoothly. However when we got out of the water the instructor told me that I had had too much weight on. I asked then how much he would maybe recommend for next time and he said ‘just not 4’. I literally couldn’t believe how unhelpful and rude someone could be! To be perfectly honest I felt that all of the staff were extremely unfriendly and rude the whole time. There was a poor vibe and can’t be bothered attitude. This is actually the first negative review I’ve written on trip advisor. Normally we just write positive feedback but we felt that this was a real disappointment. The only thing I can think was that the guy who recommended Neptune had said that their boss was away at the time and that from his experience business in the Philippines can sometimes not run smoothly when this happens. Perhaps if the boss/owner had been there it would have been a totally different experience

3  Thank graceolivia1
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 February 2018

We spent a fantastic two days diving with Neptune. We booked a six-dive package for 7200 pesos each. The centre does three dives every day (9am, 11:30am and 3pm) at different sites around the Moalboal area.

We did dives at Tongo Sanctuary, Talisay and Pescador Island as well as the famous sardine run. We saw an excellent diversity of marine life on all of the dives. On our second dive at Tongo Sanctuary, we saw four turtles. Other sealife we saw included banded sea kraits (snakes), electric clams, giant frogfish, puffer fish, scorpion fish, lionfish, octopuses, mantis shrimps, crocodile fish and lots more!

The sardine run is an absolute must at Moalboal. You swim among and underneath literally thousands of sardines in a giant school. It’s good to see them by snorkelling, but there’s nothing like getting underneath them on a dive, especially in sunshine.

The staff at Neptune were extremely professional and helpful. They made our experience a very enjoyable one, especially Jonny, who was very patient with me when I had problems with my ears. He was also very good with finding and pointing out the interesting sealife. The equipment provided was very good too.

This was the first time we had been diving after completing our Open Water certification in Bali a week earlier. Any nerves we had about our first proper fun dives were quickly settled thanks to the quality of the team at Neptune.

All in all, an excellent experience at a very reasonable price.

Date of experience: February 2018