Lowest prices for your stay
eDreams
Agoda.com
US$120
View deal
Priceline
StayForLong
All reviews glow worms seaside cottage sized bed pancake rolls stayed one night the kitchen view of the ocean new zealand unit coast west accommodation trees nikau
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 February 2019

we stayed in Blowhole Cottage which overlooked the Pancakes Rocks and Blowholes in the distance. The parking was a bit tight, but at least close by. the size of the cottage was adequate for the two of us and the views were outstanding. The self checkin was easy. The location is remote so you need a car. There was a hob, microwave, kettle and toaster, but no oven. The bathroom was very small. After an hour we had a friend turn up, a female Weka. The next morning we had her and a chick who enjoyed a selection of treats. The Pancake Rocks and blowholes are a five minute drive away.

Date of stay: January 2019
Reviewed 12 February 2019

Four years after our first stay at this motel we just had to make a second stop during our recent tour of the South Island. The motel has recently changed hands but is still up to the same standard that we knew. We had Beach View apartment which has stunning views back along the coast to Pancake Rocks. Once inside there is no noise at all from the road and it is so peaceful. The shower unit is a bit cramped but we could live with that. The living area is spacious and the bed very comfortable. The Weka we remember from our last visit still comes to the veranda each morning and now has a grown up chick. We will certainly be booking for stays here in the future.

Room tip: Beach View apartment every time
Date of stay: January 2019
1  Thank RonP967
Reviewed 3 December 2018 via mobile

Quiet (just the sound of the waves to help you drift to sleep), beautiful view, well organised. It was perfect for spending the night before visiting the pancakes and blowholes at Punakaiki!
The bathroom was very tiny but we still managed.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2018

I was slightly disappointed with this motel, probably because after seeing the photo's my expectations were high. When we were checking in a man came into the office and interrupted me, I expected the owner to tell him to wait or at least apologise to me, but he just dealt with him instead. Our room had a lovely tall ceiling, and was clad in wood, but it felt quite old, and it was the only motel we stayed in, where the kitchen was right next to the bed, which wasn't great. After checking in we made tea and went to sit out on the deck. The view was amazing, but I was surprised that the path to it was so overgrown.
In the evening we ate in the village and there was a large notice saying that tap water was not drinkable. I asked if this was just for their pub, and was told that water in Punakaiki should not be used. We bought some bottled water, but were concerned as we had filled our water bottles with tap water at the motel. We weren't ill, so it can't be too bad, but the motel should have warned us, and ideally provided some bottled water. When I got back to the hotel I checked their information book to see if it was mentioned, it wasn't, but I learnt that they had glow-worms. By this time it was too late to go and see them, so again it would have been nice to have been told at check-in.
There was no one around in the morning when we checked out.

Date of stay: February 2018
2  Thank Twig
PaparoaParkManager, Public Relations Manager at Paparoa Park Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Hi Twig,
I am glad you rated us highly for the Beautiful View, nobody can deny that! I believe it is one of the best views I have ever seen (which was why I bought the place)
I'm sorry if some of the photos were incorrect, I welcome feedback and would like to correct any misleading photos.

I also apologies for the other Guest interrupting you (yes, I remember), that group were particularly challenging and outspoken but I felt they would cause more comotion if not dealt with swiftly.

Now. overgown!
This is the "Jungle of NZ" You would't believe how fast the flora grows here, that is the charm of the west coast, I have a full time "gardener/bushman" with Stihl chainsaws,loppers,axes and machetes. I personally spent 2 years of hard labour along with my brother remodeling the flora so all the guests could appreciate the fantastic views.

The water provided at the Paparoa Park Motel is probably (not Carlsberg) the best water you could ever drink. I have a state of the art water reclamation and purification plant which is totally independent of the local water supply which supplies most of the other properties in the local area

I don't mention the water quality at the motel or online because there isn't an issue with water quality, nobody, including my family has ever become ill from our delicious NZ water. Maybe I will update our website to make it clearer that the water is potable.

Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

This hotel has all you need. It is not flashy and the room we stayed in was a redecorated fibro hut. ..but they had tried hard with good quality sheets , a small lounge and amenities. The hero here is the fantastic view and it is close to walks, cafe and pancake rocks. I would stay again just for the best view in punakaiki..
The other winner is easily accessible glowworm grotto

Date of stay: March 2018