Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Dreamer24358519789

Unpleasant Experience at Punakaiki Beach Camp

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 23 Jan 2024
Our intention was to find a place to stay for just one night, but unfortunately, the experience turned out to be quite distressing.
We were met with rude and unprofessional behavior from the camp staff. When we requested a moment to decide whether we would stay or explore other options , the person seemed visibly angry with us and insisted on an immediate decision or leave the place. This made us uncomfortable, as we were simply seeking to make the best choice for our stay.
The manager displayed an alarming lack of professionalism by using offensive language in a loud voice and aggressively pushed for us to pay $44 for a night stay, despite the fact that we did not stay overnight at the camp. This demand was not only unjustified but also left us feeling unfairly treated and disrespected.
We are genuinely perplexed by the turn of events, as we were open to discussion and cooperation.
Every guest deserves a respectful and understanding environment.
We hope that this feedback serves as an opportunity for improvement in customer service and that our feedback contributes to enhancing the overall experience for future campers.
Date of stay: January 2024
  • Official Website
1.4 km from Punakaiki Beach Camp
1.6 km from Punakaiki Beach Camp
Free parking
A short walk along the beach, north of our cabin.
  • Hotels.com
$130
Fully refundable
29.2 km from Punakaiki Beach Camp
View more hotels in Punakaiki
All reviews the kitchen pancake rolls heat pump double bed convenient location friendly owners short walk watch the sunset the pub amazing location new zealand the main road toilets facilities cabin track walks
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 November 2023

I stayed here for one night at the end of my week long west coast trip. I stopped in to check if this site was dog friendly. I was told yes but the lady at reception proceeded to give me a very condescending lecture me about how my dog must behave or I would be removed. Which is fair enough but the delivery was gross. If I have know that this was the attitude I would have not stayed here.

On this trip we learnt the difference between dogs allowed and dog friendly!

I asked specifically for a flat sheltered spot as my tent is on my roof. I was not allocated such a spot. This was by far the most expensive stay of my trip as well, I feel like I didn’t get my moneys worth.

Date of stay: October 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 20 November 2023

It is a beautiful spot, but I think overpriced, the camp site was great, but the bathrooms were not as clean as they could be and the shower was a bit hit and miss, ran for about 20 seconds then stopped, hot for first 20 seconds then cold for the rest of shower. Day two it was ok, at least not cold, but day three back to hot cold. For the price we paid you would at least expect a decent shower.

Date of stay: November 2023
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 November 2023

Only a couple of complaints, the showers were terrible. Push button arrangement which went for 20 sec, then had to be pushed again for more water. It was a busy weekend and after waiting for a shower the water was cold, also would be good to have a shelf to put your toiletries on, not acceptable considering the camp fees we paid. The cabin which cost $120, consisted of bed, two chairs a small fridge and a jug to boil water but no water on hand, water, shower and toilets 70m away. Too expensive for what you got.
On the plus side the campsites were of a good size and a lovely spot right on the beach. Beautiful area.

Room tip: Showers did seem better later in the afternoon.
Date of stay: November 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2023

We stayed here for 2 nights either side of walking Paparoa track. Location was very convenient, being very close to track end and we used the track shuttle which left from the campground to take us to Smokeho carpark.
We stayed in the Family cabins the first night. These are the best cabins, being closest to kitchen/toilet blocks which are a short distance away by footpath - no getting feet wet walking across grass. The cabins had comfy beds and surprisingly roomy for a cabin. Had a table and chairs, small fridge and kettle with double bed in one room and 2 bunks in other room, with room to put luggage. For 3 adults we all got a bottom bunk or bed. Cabin was warm with sun streaming in all day but had heat pump which we didn't need in June due to the lovely sunshine! A deck and outdoor chairs with a lawn and outdoor table as well. You need to ask for crockery and pots at the office.
Second night we stayed in Driftwood cottage which is a separate house located on the main road near the pub. This was lovely and must have been renovated since some of the reviews on here. It had double glazed windows and new efficient heat pump which kept us warm on cold night. The beds were comfortable. Only thing which could be improved was shower pressure, which was fairly low, not what you need after a 4 day walk.
Very friendly owners who were very patient checking our group of 6 in, all paying for cabins, house and shuttle separately.
Camp has direct access to the beach and nearby river, but no views of either. Good views of the rocky cliffs.

Room tip: Family cabins are the best ones. Closest to facilities and good parking outside.
Date of stay: June 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 April 2023 via mobile

Of all the campsites we visited in New Zealand, this was certainly a favorite. The staff was friendly, helpful, and accommodating of a late check in. Our spot had a picnic table and a reasonable amount of space. The washer was easy to use and detergent was available for purchase, there was even a place to hang clothing. The shower and kitchen facilities were also clean and user friendly. It is also nice that there are several different walks and hikes accessible from the campground.

Date of stay: April 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple