Lowest prices for your stay
US$132
View deal
eDreams
PricelineUS$133
Agoda.comUS$132
StayForLong
All reviews stayed here few steps open plan one night short walk local pub pancake rolls lovely spot shower room short stay great place to stay the main road would definitely stay here again punakaiki tavern fantastic location cottage sea
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 November 2020 via mobile

Good location but under an immense cliff and behind a massive sea wall which may have a bearing on those with memories of the Canterbury earthquakes and cliff collapses or recent tsunamis...
Unit quite comfortable but the door would not lock. After much debate with the proprietor we moved to the adjacent unit the following night.
That unit had a terrible smell of boiled cabbage whenever we used the plumbing. I googled this and the suggestion was a lack of cleaning of the shower trap and accumulated biofilm. I did not have the courage to investigate further!!
In the 5 days we were there the unit was not serviced apart from the trash bin being emptied once. There were no outside bins available for trash collection either - the proprietor comfirmed this. Not sure what we were meant to do with 5 days of accumulated trash?

So good location for exploring this section of the coast, good unit in terms of warmth, bed comfort and equipment but lack of service and cleaning was a real disappointment. I suspect most reviewers only stay for 1 night so the lack of servicing isn't so apparent and unit 12 was free of the boiled cabbage smell which unfortunately overpowered us after we moved to unit 11. Would I recommend this business? I'd rate it as okay for one night (not unit 11 until it is deoderised) but I'd not recommend a longer stay due to the lack of servicing despite charging top dollar for the location.

Date of stay: October 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2020

The cabins are typical of mom and pop resorts the world round. Ours was spacious with everything we needed for a short stay. Located right next to the ocean but behind a large rock levee, one has to climb a short set of steps to enjoy the view. Chairs and a table are available to sit an take in the view. It is a short walk to Pancake Rocks Park, but it is uphill all the way - easy return.

Date of stay: March 2020
Reviewed 18 March 2020 via mobile

The complex is a series of little beach huts with a bed, a little lounge area and a kitchenette - all open plan - with a shower room.

There is a little deck and a fenced garden area.

Ours was literally 10 steps from the beach, which would have been perfect, but for the horizontal rain! Obviously that’s just bad luck and hasn’t affected this review. Not all of the huts have beach views - again, I think that was just luck.

The huts are a little old but they were clean and everything worked, although the WiFi was a bit sketchy.

There are no food or drink outlets in the site but there is a laundry room. Having said that, it is no more than 20 minutes walk from anywhere in town (it’s tiny!). We ate at the Punakaiki Tavern which can best be described as “authentic”.

Overall, it is decent value for money (we paid about £90), clean and functional and I reckon on a sunny day you could sit on your little deck and see a stunning sunset!

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2020

Joan greeted me on arrival and made fast work of registration. Wanted my pin on the office map from my hometown in the world. Gave me a bottle of milk for our morning coffee and walked me to inspect the room. Great suggestions on local eats, drinks, walking alternatives. Room was as anticipated with sterling kitchenette and bath, comfortable firm bed with great linens, homey wood touches, and sea breezes. Took about 30 mins to get use to the din of the surf which is continuous not waveform, and 30 yards from your door. Very much enjoyed the area and worth the long drive to get here.

Date of stay: February 2020
Reviewed 30 January 2020 via mobile

We had a huge cottage to ourselves, 2 seconds from the sea, near the pancake rocks... absolutely fabulous place! I would definitely stay here again and again! Clean, spacious, quiet... don’t think I need anything else!

Date of stay: January 2020