All reviewsyoga teacherstari gradbreakfast and dinneryoga terracehvardolhost
Reviewed 10 November 2015

Hello to yoga lovers, you might notice I've already written a review in the past about my experience as a retreat participant...I feel compelled to write about my experience as a teacher, perhaps to shine a light for future teachers who may be invited to Suncokret and to reassure prospective retreatees that your experience will be meaningful and memorable. Evening and Stipe meet everyone with warmth and welcome, whatever takes you to Suncokret you will be embraced.

During July and - August 2015 it was my good fortune and great pleasure to be invited to lead 3 retreats at Suncokret. Stepping to the front of the room to teach internationally was such a rewarding experience which deepened my understanding of myself, my spiritual journey and my appreciation of the details necessary for a meaningful retreat setting.

Evening and Stipe have established processes and attention to detail, schedules and logistics that quietly occur in the background resulting in a smooth retreat for participants and teachers. Communication is key and I was able to easily understand what was required of me as a teacher. Evening shared all information necessary keeping me involved at every point. As a teacher I had space and support to focus on planning and teaching, was fed magnificently, was included and supported throughout the time I was there.

Teaching at Suncokret gave me a deeper sense of my svadharma, my calling, I found myself repeatedly thinking, "this is it, this what I am meant t do"...and I believe it.

Again I have been invited back for 2016 season. I am honoured by this and would reassure anyone who might teach or retreat to Suncokret that this is a wonderful time place setting and experience - namaste

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful, clean, light, fresh, individually detailed. Beds are comfortable, food is outstanding!
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
Suncokreti, Manager at Suncokret Body and Soul Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2015

Dearest Russelle, colleague and friend, teacher and student, beautiful soul... We are so grateful that the Universe brought us together under both circumstances, and we simply can not thank you enough for taking over our prime retreat weeks with such care and excellence, for sharing your knowledge and wisdom (about yoga and life) with our students, for being a guiding light for us all. We are extremely excited about having you on as a visiting teacher again for the 2016 season and are looking very much forward to supporting you in such a way so that you are able to share all that wonderful spiritual magic you have stored inside you with all those who take part. See you soon! Namaste, Evening

Reviewed 26 October 2015

Can't find the words to describe how amazing our week at Suncokret was. Wonderful people, beautiful surroundings, great food (Thank you Stipe!!). After this yoga week i feel more present in my body & mind. <3

Thank you Evening & Stipe with Family <3 We'll return!

/Niki

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Suncokreti, Owner at Suncokret Body and Soul Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2015

Thank you, Niki, for sharing your thoughts about your stay with us. We are so touched and grateful that you and your family and friends could join us. It was so exciting and rewarding to be able to share with you some of the yoga and meditation practices I used to help me through a similar life transformation such as you are presently going through. We really hope to welcome you all back again soon! Love, peace, good health & all happiness to you and yours. Namaste, Evening

Reviewed 22 October 2015

This trip has been amazing. We felt so welcome and warmly cared for by both the family and the pets. The rooms were sweet, harmonious and cozy decor.
The Retreat was beautifully located with a nice view, relaxed atmosphere and a cozy little garden where we sometimes ate brunch, when the weather allowed. The negative I can highlight is the weather, it rained a lot. Amazing cultures with local vegetables were in the immediate area. Also great and nourishing food. Glorious Morning yoga and good evenings with a serious and committed teacher. It was yoga for the whole group of different conditions and levels. Very relaxed, happy and grateful I left Suncokret, with new experiences. I can really imagine to come back :)
Thank you! Emelie from Sweden.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Suncokreti, Owner at Suncokret Body and Soul Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2015

Dear Emelie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your time at our retreat. We are grateful to have had you stay with us and we're so happy that you and the rest of the members of your group stayed very positive throughout the week despite the unseasonable rainy weather. I really enjoyed sharing the yoga practice with you all, despite the challenge of you all being of a vastly different level. We really hope you'll visit us again when the sun is shining - as it normally does - so that we can show you an even better time around our beautiful island. Warm greetings to you and yours and we hope to welcome you again soon! Namaste

Reviewed 20 October 2015

comfy bed, damp building (only partly due to weather), food was very poor and lacking in any seasoning and generally ungenerous in quality of food in particular fresh vegetables and protein. place has great potential as a retreat but currently lacking warmth and generosity.

Stayed: October 2015
1  Thank Susan V
Suncokreti, Owner at Suncokret Body and Soul Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2015

Dear Susan,

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay in our place as one of the group members who took part in last week's extremely rainy event week (for which one of your group members has already written a very poor review to express her discontent).

Unfortunately, global warming has effected us all and it is true that ONE WALL in the the newly built yoga loft got drenched due to the torrential rains and winds and a few other spots were revealing they needed further adjustment. This was due the fact that we had not yet put an outer facade on that wall (as we are planning on continuing last touches prior to doing so this winter) and that tiles are not yet in place on the outer terrace, so water remained close to corners of the balcony doors.

This dampness happened just prior to your arrival and I took immediate action to inform your teacher of the situation, apologize for the inconvenience, and we also apologized to the group once you were here but we were assured that everything was okay and that everyone had compassion and understanding for the situation.

In 13 years of business, we have NEVER been accused of offering damp accommodations or poor food.

In fact, visitors from around the world have been praising our accommodations on a growing basis as we continue to build and refurbish them.

Our food offerings have always been a source of attraction since opening our retreat, and many guest return looking very much forward to another week of Stipe the chef's wonderful menu.

Protein and vegetables are a part of EVERY MEAL, perhaps not in the way you are accustomed? Legumes including soy, chickpeas, kidney beans, and various types of lentils were in every main dish (though perhaps you could not identify them?), and, as we serve only vegetarian dishes, it is obvious that vegetables were a part of each dish, as well, many of them sourced locally.

Being on maternity leave, I was not present at mealtimes the way I normally would be to enquire how everyone was enjoying their meal, however the chef was present and did enquire each and every day how everything was. He was only given compliments, so we are really quite confused!

He also told the group consistently that if they had any particular food wishes, they could write them down and he would pick them up from the grocery store.

That your group was not satisfied with our services is more a reflection of poor communication on the part of the group, but especially of the group leader, who should have been communicating with you and us on a daily basis to ensure the satisfaction of all parties involved.

We are very sad that this dissatisfaction is the result of some things that were out of our control and others that we had the power to adjust, if only we had been consulted in a timely and appropriate manner.

It is very confusing for readers to find such excellent reviews of Suncokret, blended with these very opposite opinions of us. It only shows that this situation is the exception rather than the rule.

Reviewed 18 October 2015 via mobile

I came here with an amazing yoga teacher who I know from another retreat and very much enjoyed the yoga practice so the following is a review of the centre itself.

Sunsockret is situated in a quaint little hamlet just a few miles drive from starigrad. The buildings which immediately greet you on entering it are used for the retreat and buildings further in where family members live.

We were unfortunate in that we stayed during unseasonably bad weather: torrential rain and strong winds. The buildings themselves do not have heating and as they are made of stone were extremely damp and cold.

On arrival at the site I acquainted myself with the rule book which is in each living quarter. I have to say that it set the tone for the rather tense atmosphere that remained for the week. I woke up shivering through my first night despite having a duvet and 3 blankets. When I asked Evening for a heater I was met with tension and later provided with another duvet. A heater was provided for the yoga area along with extra blankets for meditation which helped greatly. I appreciate that it was unseasonable weather although storms can happen any time of year so I was surprised that the centre wasn't prepared for this eventuality.

A new yoga space has been built in the roof of one if the accommodation blocks. It's a beautiful looking space that can accommodate 10 easily. It was not in a finished state when we visited. The walls of the building were absorbing so much water that the indoor walls were wet, the laminate flooring was popping up in places and on occasion water dripped in through the roof. The roof appeared to be supported by two metal poles following supporting walls being taken out. I have to say they didn't look very stable.

Our room had very comfortable beds. I have stayed in many youth hostels around Europe which were all of a higher standard however. Our bedroom door did not shut without being body slammed and the French doors at the rear of the room had a gap in them which during the storms leaves blew in through and our duvets flapped in the breeze. I'm sure this would have been fine in a warmer week although the mosquito nets above our beds suggested it could bring other challenges. My room was next to the laundry area and a terrible smell came from the sink for the duration of the stay. We had a large square piece of wood with hooks in to hang coats on propped up against our wall which came crashing down late one night taking lots of paint with it and tearing my bag.

We were only given one bath towel each for the week. As it was so damp and cold these were impossible to dry and given the aforementioned rule book and tension we felt uncomfortable asking for fresh ones. Our bins were not emptied for the week which was especially grim in the bathroom with a bin bursting full of sanitary items. I am a huge fan of contributing at a yoga retreat and would have happily emptied bins or done laundry but relevent information was never volunteered to us and the rule book made clear we were not to use the machine without prior arrangement and payment.

The offer to take people out each day on excursions is fantastic. You are taken to a different location each day and picked up late afternoon. It was great to get the chance to look around the island although on some days it was too rainy to go out, at which point it became difficult to find enough warm communal space.

What I found most challenging about the holiday was the food. Unfortunately I cannot eat gluten. I came prepared with prepacked carbs as I know this can be difficult to source. What I wasn't prepared for was the lack of protein. One evening I was given fried aubergine and cabbage for dinner after 2 successive evenings of the main meal having gluten in and me having to have salad instead. This was especially tough given the amount of yoga our group was doing and I didn't get the most out of my practice as I felt progressively weaker as the week went on. The food in general was fine albeit not seasoned or paying attention to nutritional principles. Bread was plentiful but vegetables and protein sources not so for the whole group.

On our first night we were taken on a walk up the hill in the village. The roads have steep drops either side of them and one of the group fell 2 foot over the side twisting her ankle badly. She couldn't leave the complex for the duration of the week. After an offer of being taken to the clinic she was berated for not carrying a torch, even though 3 were provided for a group of 10. She was not asked how she was for the rest of the week, and I think this just sums up the place. There is no love or spirituality here, just a business trying to maximise profits with minimal expenditure. There are some beautiful retreats across Croatia. I'd suggest trying somewhere else in this incredible country.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank 186402Sarah1984
Suncokreti, Owner at Suncokret Body and Soul Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2015

Indeed, where is the love?! We are sorry to read this review of your time in our space, which is unfortunately inaccurate in many points and omitting vital information with others and correct only to the degree of the chosen position taken.

We agree that the weather was unseasonably cool and wet during your visit, which unfortunately set the tone for the entire week and truly did catch everyone off guard.

The yoga loft, designed by a prestigious architect from the region and reputed builders, is new, certainly stable, beautiful and inviting and we have received nothing but compliments on it all season long - except for now – guests from all over the world understanding that it is a work in progress. Your teacher was also well aware of this prior to booking the event with us (in fact, it was not even built then).

Unfortunately the torrential rain did dampen the one wall whose facade is still not complete, on purpose and for various reasons, and it also left a few damp spots here and there and a tiny roof leak, which we are already repairing. So we are sorry that the weather showed off its flaws rather than its beauty during your stay, or that that is what you chose to focus on (your teacher, on the other hand, told us how much she was loving it).

We did what we could to compensate for the wet and cooler than expected temperatures by offering extra quilts, blankets and warm clothing (from my personal wardrobe, in fact), and by providing a couple of heaters in the loft, though we normally don’t require heating at that time of year!

My comment to the group when sharing my personal belongings with you was that “we are all part of the same family,” and I hoped these things would help everyone to be more comfortable and warm. This came from my heart.

Admittedly, we were a little tense on the group’s arrival and the next morning, very aware that the extreme weather you had experienced prior to your visit as well as the predicted wind and rain to come would most certainly influence the mood of the retreat week. If you took that tension personally, this was not our intention! We hoped rather that you would understand this concern as caring hosts who were hoping to make good out of a less than ideal situation.

My reply to you when you mentioned you were cold was that I was “aware of the problem and I would see what I could do to resolve it”, which I set about doing that very morning.

I went out to purchase "emergency” space heaters but could not find them as it was still not "heating season" on the island and supplies were next to nil in the 4 shops that sell such things in the various towns.

Instead, I offered two of our own heaters (one small and one large), which I passed onto your teacher to place in the loft during practice. We agreed that the smaller portable one could be given to you at night in case you needed it.

I consulted with your teacher throughout the week, and was assured by her that all the bedrooms were dry and warm and that the radiator we provided in the loft was sufficient.

Knowing that you were the most sensitive in the group to cold, I went out of my way to personally check with you several times during the week to make sure you were warm enough and you told me you were, so I took you at your word.

This is one of the reasons I find the title of this review surprising but sadly a reflection of your own sentiments toward us, despite our efforts, rather than a true reflection of how we treated you or any of our guests.

On another note, we checked-in regularly with the lady who fell, and I also enquired in private with your teacher about her condition, too. We were told that she was participating as much as possible and opted to stay at the retreat to rest, which was usual behavior on retreat in other locations anyway. Though I would have preferred it if she had allowed us to take her to the clinic for a checkup, she refused the offer several times, so we had to comply with her wishes.

A list of packing items, including a "flashlights for nightly strolls" and "clothing for various types of weather", were provided directly to your teacher in advance, so we are not certain why the group was not prepared on either level for the retreat stay with us, which is the only reason I asked on the first evening when I was surprised that there were not enough flashlights for the moonlight walk in the village and that someone had fallen as a result!

Then again, your teacher was very relaxed and keen on having the walk despite the damp and darkness and the lack of torches, assuring us that most people had flashlights on their smartphones, etc...

With regard to dietary requests, we do our best to cater to individual needs, though we have limited access to certain supplies that are common in urban areas, which we also explained to your teacher and on our website.

If any guest requires a different menu than what the staple vegetarian meals provided - diners always predominantly made up from 3 courses, including vegetable soup, salads made with mixed vegetables, and a main dish made up from cooked vegetables with various proteins such as quinoa, amaranth, lentils, etc. - all they need do is ASK and we always do our best to please.

Every evening the chef asks guest how the meal was and encourages them to write their food wishes down, so why your dissatisfaction was mentioned directly to the him is the question that should be asked here, as he was the one to consult regarding such matters, not Trip Advisor, and certainly the results would have been immediate and much more satisfying.

It is true that, one night, the chef had enthusiastically prepared an organic risotto with a new brand of what looked to be delicious rice, found in the Gluten Free section of the supermarket, only to find after serving it that it contained gluten! We deeply regret the mistake, which was a carless but honest one.

The cabbage and eggplant patty, served with soup and salad, are a specialty from the region that our guests usually find delicious and unique, and we are sorry if you did not find that, or any of the other meals served, to be nourishing, tasty or appropriate for your needs.

Again, a direct, simple and open word about that or any of your complaints would have transformed the retreat easily.

We are blessed that most of our guests truly LOVE us as hosts and the Suncokret experience in its entirety, including the yoga, the food, the surroundings, the trips and the space we provide (all of which SET THE FOUNDATION FOR A SPIRITUAL JOURNEY though the spiritual journey itself can only be had with a mindset that is open to discovering its treasures).

I could go on addressing every other complaint made in this review, but for what purpose?

“Where is the love” is certainly a good question to reflect upon, as love is a two-way street, a reciprocal energy that is both extended and is received. If love is given and not accepted, or worse, rejected and the sender judged harshly for matters that are not in their power to control or some mistakes made though not intentionally, who is to blame for its lack?

Is the glass half empty or half full, an experience “good” or “bad” a person “right” or “wrong”? It is always up to us to decide which perspective to take with any experience in life.

We hope your next retreat journey is a more pleasant one, and that, even if there are things you do not like or do not serve you well, you will find the love and grace to share your thoughts openly with those who can respond directly to you so that together the situation can be a transformative one for all parties involved. Namaste.