Had a memorable week-long reunion with old friends at this charming, well-equipped facility, and could not have chosen a better place if I tried. Set away from the bustle and traffic, in a quiet setting, surrounded by greenery, this villa, newly created in the old Chettinad style, offers a unique experience in every sense of the term. Not to be missed. Just a 2-minute drive from Auroville and a 15-minute drive from the city.
We stayed at Sharanya for 5 days in August with the entire family of 12. The villa which is built in a traditional style was a charming dwelling. Rooms were large and A/C in the bedrooms was a blessing as the weather was extremely hot!
There was plenty of space for the kids to run around without having to worry about noise. Shiv was an excellent host and catered to requests quickly and efficiently. The housekeeper Eshwar is helpful.
Some important Facts:
1. the villa is tucked away from the main road. A muddy road past 3 Metal Gates (you are required to open & close every single time to get in/out) Was irritating for us after the first 2 times.
2. there could be multiple powercuts ( an inverter helps keep atleast fans working)
3. the Matrimandir parking is just about 7mins by car
4. the Aurobindo Ashram is a 35 to 45 minutes ride through small village roads subject to cattle/automobile traffic
My small suggestions to make guests further comfortable would be to
1. install a/c in the TV room
2. automate the gates to the villa or think of other simpler solutions to keep cattle away
3. larger size single beds on the groundfloor bedroom so two people can comfortably sleep
4. install a washing machine for laundry
I would recommend Sharanya happily.
It is really home away from home. Wonderful place to relax surrounded by greenery. Love to come again,
Its impossible to walk into the Sharanya compound and not feel completely calm. Perhaps its the hundreds of plants and trees, or the pretty stream, or the creeper-ed gazebo. It was also the warmth of the staff and the sense of space and air in the home.
A perfect place to retreat to, or to base yourself while you explore Auroville and nearby Pondicherry. Highly recommend to groups and families.
Me and ten other students spent 5 weeks in this amazing villa. Sharanya had hot showers, a beautiful garden (with fruit you can eat for free!) and it was always clean. Ishwar and Saraswati (the caretaker and the housekeeper) were always so helpful and kind. They were helping us out with breakfast, filtered water and everything we needed. They were also making us local dishes and teaching us how to make them. The whole group thought it was sad leaving them. Shiv (the owner) was always easy to reach and so helpful. If we had any problems he was helping us out right away. The villa was located in a really peaceful area of Auroville, surrounded by yoga schools and beautiful nature. Sharanya was only a ten minutes walk to the main road where you could take the bus to Pondicherry city for around 30 rupi.
We were all really pleased with our stay and we would highly recommend Sharanya!
|Overall condition of the property||Bedding & mattresses|
|Kitchen & utensils||Bathroom cleanliness|