See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This was our first lodge stay in New Zealand and we didn't really know what to expect. I can echo all the plaudits below. What I wasn't expecting was the warmth & friendliness of Willem & Carla who are very open & welcoming people. They made both the evening dinners and the breakfasts a gastronomic and social delight.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I don't even know where to begin.

Scrolling a bit down the review page, you will soon realize that Willem & Carla have built something truly outstanding that everybody agrees on. We had the Rivendell suite, which is awesome in every way and features the largest bed we have ever slept on (bigger than California King Size !). We never had dinner in the same place (the dining room, the barbecue, the tower...) but each time was unique and delicious. Carla is a wonderful cook and Willem has quite a nose for wine-pairing.
Meeting them and talking over a nice meal and a good glass of wine or Port, in the fantastic surroundings of their house and country was just heavenly. It was our honeymoon and they made it very special.

Hope we see you in Paris, Carla and Willem !

Hugo & Flora

Room tip: Every room has something that makes it special but the Rivendell suite is definitely the most romantic one.
Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The Mrs and I travelled up to Waihi from Palmy via Taupo.
Finding the lodge is easy enough, we used a combination of google maps and the well placed road signs.
Once we got to the lodge, it was stunning. Beautiful buildings, layout and a great (unoccupied beach) about 20 minutes walk down hill.
We stayed in Rivendale, with a private outdoor spa bath looking over the hills. Perfect. Plus a bed large enough for me to lay flat in any dimension or orientation I could think of (big deal I am 6ft5").
We stayed at the lodge for dinner and it was worth every penny. Brilliant food and great atmosphere.
Without gushing too much more. There is literally not a negative or bad thing to say. Following this review I am booking a long weekend again come winter.

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Everything has already been said - this place is wonderful. We stayed for 4 nights in the Rivendell room (the other rooms are lovely too) and enjoyed the peace, privacy and luxury. Rooms have their own private garden with outside spa bath. Most impressive was the fascinating building and artworks all around, as well as the care, consideration and sensitivity that our hosts showed - they are a wonderful couple with a real zest for life! The food was sublime and there was lots to do as well. Best stay in our 5 week trip!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2014

After searching for a luxury lodge near Waihi Beach, Manawa Ridge did not disappoint. Nestled in the hills above the Coromandel Coast, this place is the true image of relaxation. The lodge is amazingly built making it feel luxurious yet homely, and the rooms are spacious with huge beds, fantastic bathrooms, and the best part - an outdoor natural pebble-lined spa-bath to relax and watch the stars at night. The views span 360 degrees and make for some spectacular photos.
Willem and Carla are amazing hosts and Carla's cooking is to die for! We enjoyed spending time with them over a beer and wine in the evening, and they left us to ourselves when we wanted our own space. The picnic at the private beach is highly recommended!
I was so blown away by the location, the lodge, the views and Willem and Carla's hospitality that I decided to propose to my girlfriend there. Willem and Carla went out of their way to ensure it was a special occasion and one that we'll remember for a long time to come!
I couldn't recommend this place enough - we'll definitely be back. Thanks again for a great stay Willem & Carla!

Date of stay: December 2013