All reviews the kitchen drying room bed dorm common areas mt cook youth hostel private room light sleeper enjoy your stay cleaned daily shared bathroom surrounded by mountains new zealand perfect place to stay day hiking night stay small village
Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

♡♡◇◇Well this is my 2nd day here with 3 more to go. Just Amazing the views are really 2nd to none!! The YHA is so nice and the staff are so friendly and helpful they all go out of there way to make everyone not just me feel right @ home .....1st off I had some special needs which were done to perfection +++ my arrival @ reception on a busy long weekend was so friendly you know straight away your going to enjoy your STAY!!!! They ALL do an awesome job keeping the rooms, kitchen, lounge so clean. So a BIG THANKYOU for all you have done for me. Best YHA in New Zealand it's a must have stop on your itinerary not just for a flying visit stay a few days and just soak up this awesome atmosphere and surrounding views!!! BEST STOP IN THE South Island by far!!! It's a huge credit to all involved to get a place like this in such a remote area to feel like a home not a hostel......!!!!! And just to top it off the internet is wow just perfect ..... BIG CHEERS + THANKYOU ♡♡◇◇

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
YHANewZealand, Manager at YHA Aoraki Mt Cook, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Hi Steven,

Thank you so much for your incredibly kind review.

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. One of our main priorities here is to make every guest feel "at home", whether you are a solo traveler or part of a group.

It is so important to us, and to hear that you felt that way makes us all feel wonderful. So thank you!

We had a very busy Queen's Birthday long weekend, so all efforts were made to keep check-in procedures easy and swift, and as always we strive to welcome every guest with a warm smile. I will pass on your comments to all of our staff, they work hard and feedback like yours is what we do our job for.

Keeping all areas of our hostel clean & tidy is of high importance, so we are glad you found the facilities to be of a high standard of cleanliness. We are also very lucky to have great wifi here, no mean feat when we are tucked under the tallest mountain in Australasia! Once again, thank you for such a lovely review, we really are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope you can make it back here again, soon.

Best wishes, Kate

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

Travelling in our motorhome to stay at Mt Cook's white horse campground, I hadn't realised there wasn't a diary/supermarket there. Asked at the Information Centre who adv is ed the cheaper place to pick up milk was at the YHA. The place was buzzing with it being checking time and the no vacancy sign out the lady at reception /shop was very efficient and friendly. I bought 2 x 300ml bottles of milk for $3.50. I understand that groceries in a place like Mt Cook have extra transport costs so was happy to pay. Recommend that you are prepared so you don't need to buy groceries but glad we had the option.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2018

Loved our three night stay here. Clean facilities- bathroom, kitchen, common areas and dorm rooms. Fully equipped kitchen and beautiful location. We have already been in New Zealand for 60 days now. We have lived across various hostels and our review is based on our experiences at different hostels. YHA Mt Cook staff does a great job in maintaining the facility. Would stay here again and recommend to other travelers.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank yamsinp
Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

This hostel is fantastic! It is literally in the most beautiful location, surrounded by mountains and fantastic little (or big) hikes. The staff were really friendly and helpful. The kitchen was clean and had spices and herbs (Which made my boring budget cooking tastey). The whole place had a lovely ski lodge feel and they even had a toasty sauna which the staff turned on for me. I had a really good night sleep which was just what I needed and I felt super comfortable there as a solo traveller and just staying one night... hopefully I will be back. Go YHA!

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Had free wifi which other accommodation options of similar pricing did not offer. The communal areas had views of surrounding mountains and was cosy. Has a sauna too which was handy due to the cold temperatures

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
YHANewZealand, Manager at YHA Aoraki Mt Cook, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Hi Pamela, thank you for your lovely review.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the fantastic mountain views, whilst relaxing in our communal areas. Even though, we are located in a remote area, we offer, as you mentioned, fast and free Wi-Fi.

Our sauna was recently fixed. With the winter coming, our guests can now easily warm up after a day of hiking.

We hope that you have a nice trip in New Zealand and that we can welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards, Rinke