“An accidental trip highlight”

Red Stag Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 12 Restaurants in Fairlie
Price range: US$3 - US$21
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A La Carte dining in a relaxing environment in our sunny conservatory or in our elegant dining room.
Reviewed 15 January 2020 via mobile

We only chose this restaurant because it was around the corner from our air BnB. We weren’t expecting much from it or the town (it was really just a driving stop) but this gem of a restaurant delivered in spades. Amazing friendly staff (we met the whole family), great menu, good wine and a good kids menu. Bird aviary outside and a cat that the kids loved and when my fussy 7 year old only at the corn chips in his nachos the chef not only came out to deliver more corn chips, but gave him some to take in the car for the following day. I had the pork belly which was so huge I was full for a week and the quality of food was great. This is the kind of place where it feels like you’re going home for a meal. Friendly, warm and enough to become a holiday experience rather than just a meal.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (208)

Reviewed 14 January 2020 via mobile

Wonderful heritage villa turned into lovely restaurant. The service was superb and the meal awesome. It was a special visit for my partner a d myself. The added attraction of an Avairy and a gorgeous Samoyd dog finished the evening

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed 29 December 2019 via mobile

We had a wonderful dinner and we love benson the restaurant doggie! Definitely recommend a visit, the service was great.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed 1 December 2019

Luckily for us this restaurant decided to be open on a Monday evening, when it normally isn't. We only had one night in Fairlie and it would have been our loss to miss dining here.
My husband had the steak and I had the whitebait patties. Neither of us were disappointed.
I do not know how they cooked the chips, but they were fabulous and I don't even normally eat them.
My husband said it was the best mushroom sauce he had EVER had.
Seems to be a family run business - friendly and down to earth.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed 9 November 2019 via mobile

We really liked this place, the food and the hosts. We stayed the night in their apartment. To recommend.

Date of visit: November 2019