“Surprise Guests”

Ranked #5 of 12 Restaurants in Fairlie
Price range: US$3 - US$21
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A La Carte dining in a relaxing environment in our sunny conservatory or in our elegant dining room.
Reviewed 26 October 2019 via mobile

The decision to go out for dinner was a last minute one and with a large group booked the team were really accommodating to fit our own large group in. The menu was tempting and extensive with lots of local produce. The meals were timely in arriving and beyond delicious! The food, the service, the atmosphere..all 5 star in my books.

Date of visit: October 2019
Write a reviewReviews (208)

Reviewed 7 October 2019 via mobile

The Red Stag Restaurant at Fairlie Town is the best experience I’ve had during my leisure visit to the South Island.

The ambience and atmosphere of Red Stag will make you spend time forever. They have one of the best wine collections try both (Red and Wine)

The apartment we lived for a night was apt and had all the amenities and facilities that a modern house would need, spacious and clean,morning view from the balcony will immediately get your hands on the camera to capture the scenic views.

The Gibson Family (Bruce, Carla, Bevan) and Benson make a lovely host on hospitality. Starting with a warm welcome from Bruce (Humble and Gentle) the delicious hand picked home designed recepies of Carla (by profession a teacher but definitely deserves a ticket to compete at Master Chef) the music, the local fish recepie by Bevan was amazing and I liked your tats (tattoos) last but not the least the gorgeous dog Benson so furry I wish I could take him back home.

Not for a single second we felt away from our family you guys rock really sweet of you for spending time with us with so much of information on the NZ (Kiwi) culture, the Maori souvenirs, NZ fishing etc...is so much to take back home and cherish.

Next time I plan a visit I’m definitely planning a longer stay at the Red Stag Restaurant to spend more time with the Gibson Family and Benson.

I would rather skip on some lookout and scenic spots but will never miss on this highly recommended place !

To all the local and overseas travellers while on your journey please bookmark this place on your itinerary list !

Lots of love from Hemant & Heena.

Date of visit: October 2019
RedstagNZ, Owner at Red Stag Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2019

Hi guys
It was an absolute pleasure to host you for the night and we also learnt so much about the Indian culture. It was a fantastic night and Benson thoroughly enjoyed his night with you both as well.
You are both great ambassadors of India and we all really hope that we see you again.
Love to you both as well

Reviewed 7 October 2019

We stopped in to the redstag after a long day of driving from mount cook and were worried we wouldn't get in to anywhere to eat. The owners were so warm and welcoming and the food was delicious (I recommend the salmon!) We had a great meal and a laugh and even got to meet bensen!. We really appreciated the red stag for letting us in so late and even giving us dessert. Next time we are in NZ we will definitely be back!

Date of visit: October 2019
RedstagNZ, Manager at Red Stag Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2019

Thank you Julia for your kind review. We are glad that you enjoyed your meal and I know that Benson enjoyed meeting you all as well. We look forward to seeing you again at some point. Safe travels.

Reviewed 5 October 2019

Stopped in Fairlie for a night and was recommended the red stag by our accomodation, upon arrival we were greeted by a friendly waiter who sat us down and presented the menus, what a great selection! We chose the pork belly and venison , wow! Absolutely amazing so much flavour and a great portion the pork belly was moist, it fell apart in my mouth , the duck fat potatoes crispy and full of flavour and the vegetables were amazing! My friend had the venison and it was Devine perfectly cooked, the jus so nice and silky it paired perfectly with the venison and vegetables, we would definitely recommended To anyone , thank you so much !

Date of visit: October 2019
RedstagNZ, Owner at Red Stag Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2019

Thank you very much Ben for visiting us. I am glad that you enjoyed your experience at the Red Stag. I hope the rest of your trip in NZ goes well and that when you return, you come and see us again.

Reviewed 1 October 2019 via mobile

We visited on Friday night and our meal was fantastic. I had the entree of chili prawns, they were absolutely delicious. I am not a big chili fan but these had just enough to taste without numb lips! I followed this up with the venison which was cooked to perfection with roasted vegetables. My partner had pumpkin soup and the steak. He was impressed with both courses.

Date of visit: September 2019

Thank you Clare. I hope your trip away went well. Look forward to seeing you again.
Carla