See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 December 2015

We arrived 6am and they let us into our room and let us use it until 8pm the next night even though we only paid for one night. Stunning setting which the cabanas really allow you to experience. Really nice welcoming people and great breakfasts plus great views from the restaurant.

Outdoor showers and dry toilers are random and take a little getting used to, but they are hygienic and in the end just added to the experience

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2015

If you want to be inmersed in nature this is the best option, carrying your luggage is kind of a strugge but there is always helpful staff around. I loved the food at the restaurant, the silence and the trees. The rooms are not luxurius at all, but they are clean and keep you away from bugs. Also, having and outdoor bathroom made it more jungle-like experience. The outdoor shower with a beautiful view of the sea was my absolute favorite thing about our cabin! the beach is one of the most beautiful beaches I´ve ever been to, kind of dangerous though, I recommend you stay on the seashore and go for a hike in the highlands near by.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Mazunte is an old sort of hippie community and El Copal is a wonderful place to enjoy it. If you are looking for a fancy five stars resort with all the modern accomodations, you should look somewhere else. On the other hand, El Copal is not a load back packers hostel.

The hotel claim to be eco friendly, that means only one electric outlet in the room, dry toilets and a cold shower. That was perfect for us, we just needed to charge the camera, the dry toilet do not smell and we find it entertaining, and the shower with a view of the beach and the ocean was probably my favorite part of the room. The rooms are very clean and nicely decorated. I was a little concern about privacy, particularly when you have to go to the bathroom naked :O, but you cannot see or hear anybody.

The hotel is on a road that is not well maintain and it is not easy to find and it is a bit of a walk to get to the restaurants in town. On the other hand, the hotel is not on Mazunte's main beach, so most of the time he have the beach to enjoy for yourself.

On a personal note, it was here that I decided to propose to my wife :D

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MarioferCol
Reviewed 8 September 2012

El Copal is a nice place. Spectacular views. Decent restaurant. Very helpful staff. A great beach destination that's off the beaten path.

The cold water shower was a little more annoying than I anticipated. But other than that, I don't have any complaints about the hotel itself.

All of that said: The access road to the hotel was completely destroyed by Hurricane Carlotta. It has been reclaimed by mother nature as a creek bed. It has straight vertical drops six feet deep, and massive holes. You can't drive anywhere close to the hotel, and walking down with luggage is complicated (to say the least).

I exchanged emails with the owner before arrival asking about hurricane damage. She assured me that everything was fine. The hotel itself is fine. But access is very complicated. I wish they would have been honest with us about the damage -- at least we could have been prepared. I would check to make sure the road is repaired before making a pre-paid reservation.

If the road is restored -- we were told it would be next year, at the earliest -- I would give this place a 4-star rating instead of 3. I would definitely go back (but maybe with a solar shower bag).

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chris A
Reviewed 1 June 2012

It is a nice place to to visit is all you neeed, you cannot find better place than this, Oh My GOD

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo