Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
PricelineUS$92
Hotels.comUS$87
Booking.comUS$87
CheapTicketsUS$87
TripadvisorUS$87
ZenHotels.com
All reviews close to town stayed here for nights bbq area tongariro alpine crossing donna motel host trail highway laundry trampoline base stopover
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 September 2020 via mobile

Just stayed for a one night stopover. Clean especially the bathroom. No mould in the shower grout maybe recently redone. But note water pressure not good enough to wash your long hair ladies. There is some noise from the highway but didn't disturb our sleep. Think of it as being close to the beach with the noise of the waves! Bed typical style comfy but a slight feeling you might slip out. Wouldn't want to stay for more than one night. Host Donna a bit eccentric but overall very nice lady.

Date of stay: September 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank bakergirl452
Donna Vercoe, Owner at Settlers Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2020

Thank you for time to review Settlers Motel, Turangi. Sorry folks no grout in showers however we pride ourselves on the mirror like finish when cleaned. I have loved reading your comment re "eccentric" just consider myself a normal older style person.

Reviewed 1 January 2020 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst visiting Tongariro and we couldn't have asked for anything better. Its easy to get to off the highway and it's only a couple of minutes walk to the town area with plenty of food places and a supermarket.
The motel room was spacious, sparkling clean, comfy bed, great shower and all the facilities you need for a couple of days. There was a 2 hob to cook on, saucepans, salt and pepper.
The motel felt really safe and had a great relaxing feel to it. Loved the decking area at the back of the room to chill out on and a picnic bench for each room if you wanted to use it too. There was also a hot tub which could be booked for half slots which was clean and really relaxing, great extra to have available.
Overall a great stay and the owner was lovely and really helpful.
I would definitely recommend!

Also for extra info if staying in the area, Rusts did a great burger, and if the Tongariro crossing gets cancelled like it did unfortunately for us, the Tama Lakes walk was a great alternative.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
DonnaV_24, Owner at Settlers Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2020

Thank you for your time to review us, much appreciated. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, stay safe

Reviewed 14 September 2019

I honestly cannot fault this motel in any way, despite often being a bit of a ‘whinging pom’! On arrival I was warmly welcomed by Donna, the manager, and we had a very friendly conversation. The unit I stayed in (no.4) was sparkling clean and very warm with everything I needed for my stay. Donna advised me who to contact re Tongariro Alpine Crossing as I had thought I’d walk it myself, not knowing it’s not a good idea in winter and dangerous. Unfortunately I didn’t get to walk it. She also advised me about the river walk, just at the end of the road, and suggestions of where to eat. There’s a spa that can be used free on site, but I didn’t get to use it. My bed was extremely comfortable and the water was hot. I travelled to Turangi by Inter City bus and the motel was just over the road from the bus stop and from all the shops and town’s amenities. Should I return to Turangi I will definitely try to book here again and highly recommend it to singles, couples and families. Thank you Donna for a fabulous stay!

Date of stay: September 2019
DonnaV_24, Owner at Settlers Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2019

Thank you for your time to review us, much appreciated. The motel is very proud of our cleaniness and comfort offered that enable our guests to just relax and enjoy the stay. Unfortunately the weather does not always play the game however always fine patches between the rain. Stay Safe

Reviewed 28 August 2019

We had a great stay here, centrally located and walking distance to amenities! Had everything we needed and was clean and comfortable. Was also nice a warm. Old school about ticked the boxes ;) Host Donna was awesome!

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
DonnaV_24, Owner at Settlers Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2019

Thank you for your review. We are located ideally, on the lookout at all times for additional things that can made your stay more enjoyable. We are old school and believe everyone and everything should be afforded this at settlers Motel - yes we do not always get it right but do our best to ensure your stay is relaxing and carefree.

Reviewed 9 August 2019

In July 2019 we did a 5-day driving tour of North Island. We stayed 1 night at the Settlers Motel, and generally had a nice stay, with a few issues.

We had half of an A-frame cabin, which was clean and warm. You get free WiFi, a complimentary free load of laundry, and fresh milk for your coffee. Parking is free, and there was enough space for our SUV

Our issues:
- Sound insulation between the two halves of the cabin was not very good, and we had noisy neighbors that did not quiet down until after 9:00p
- The thermostat was controlled by the front office & they would not change the settings. However, the cabin's loft was so warm that my sons were uncomfortable sleeping there, even in T-shirts and shorts
- The free WiFi is limited to 3 devices & a small amount of data. When you hit your data limit, you're done. My sons were out within 90 mins
- My wife & one son came down with severe colds the day before, so upon arrival, I asked for a noon checkout so they could get some extra rest. Weeks earlier I had booked a fishing trip for the next morning and would return by 11:30, so that seemed reasonable. However, our request was denied. So my wife and son had to check out at 10:00 & sit in the car waiting for me..

We were told no late checkout because they were going to be busy getting ready for the weekend crowd. But they were done with all of the cabins by 11:00, and the parking lot was empty except for us (my wife was sitting in the car in front of the cabin watching all this)

Date of stay: July 2019
DonnaV_24, Owner at Settlers Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2019

Apologies for taking the time to formulate an appropriate response to your review.
Noise control is monitored from 9pm, this is one of many issues that Motel owners grapple with, due to the number of nationalities staying, I am very pleased that my advice to your niegbouring unit was adhered to.
Yes the heat pumps are on central control - we do advise that we are happy to change the temperature - all you have to do is request it to be done. If we are not asked, we do not know you are to hot/cold.
WiFi - you are asked at check in to confirm your number of guests and WiFi is given out in accordance to the number of devices that will be used during your stay. each voucher is for 1 Gigabyte/3 devices. This WiFi is given for the purpose of planning the attractions undertaken, whislt in Turangi, booking the attractions/activities you wish to attend on your next leg of your journey and keeping in contact with family.
Yes, you contacted Settlers Motel to advise that your wife had come down with the flu and you did not know if she would be able to travel to complete your stay with us. I explained our cancellation policy and you advised that you did not wish to cancel. Unfortunately your unit was booked for new guests the next day, they had requested a mid-day - 1pm check in at the time they made their booking (several weeks prior to arrival). The 2 bedroom unit takes 1 - 11/2 hours to clean probably and this is the only reason for not being able to accommodate your request (at check in) for a late check out (sometimes we just can not grant everyone requirements)
Your wife and son were offered hot drinks while sitting in the car awaiting your return from fishing. The offer was declined.
As check out time is 10am, yes the parking lot was empty of cars, with the exception of yours.I have checked my staffs cleaning times for the day you departed, 3 hours cleaning - from 10am - 1pm.
I was really upset that I could not grant your wife and son the ability to be able to remain in the warm room when you requested it at check in the night before.