Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
PricelineUS$92
Hotels.comUS$87
Booking.comUS$87
CheapTicketsUS$87
eDreamsUS$87
TravelocityUS$87
All reviews close to town stayed here for nights bbq area tongariro alpine crossing donna motel host trail highway laundry trampoline base stopover
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 August 2019

In July 2019 we did a 5-day driving tour of North Island. We stayed 1 night at the Settlers Motel, and generally had a nice stay, with a few issues.

We had half of an A-frame cabin, which was clean and warm. You get free WiFi, a complimentary free load of laundry, and fresh milk for your coffee. Parking is free, and there was enough space for our SUV

Our issues:
- Sound insulation between the two halves of the cabin was not very good, and we had noisy neighbors that did not quiet down until after 9:00p
- The thermostat was controlled by the front office & they would not change the settings. However, the cabin's loft was so warm that my sons were uncomfortable sleeping there, even in T-shirts and shorts
- The free WiFi is limited to 3 devices & a small amount of data. When you hit your data limit, you're done. My sons were out within 90 mins
- My wife & one son came down with severe colds the day before, so upon arrival, I asked for a noon checkout so they could get some extra rest. Weeks earlier I had booked a fishing trip for the next morning and would return by 11:30, so that seemed reasonable. However, our request was denied. So my wife and son had to check out at 10:00 & sit in the car waiting for me..

We were told no late checkout because they were going to be busy getting ready for the weekend crowd. But they were done with all of the cabins by 11:00, and the parking lot was empty except for us (my wife was sitting in the car in front of the cabin watching all this)

Date of stay: July 2019
DonnaV_24, Owner at Settlers Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2019

Apologies for taking the time to formulate an appropriate response to your review.
Noise control is monitored from 9pm, this is one of many issues that Motel owners grapple with, due to the number of nationalities staying, I am very pleased that my advice to your niegbouring unit was adhered to.
Yes the heat pumps are on central control - we do advise that we are happy to change the temperature - all you have to do is request it to be done. If we are not asked, we do not know you are to hot/cold.
WiFi - you are asked at check in to confirm your number of guests and WiFi is given out in accordance to the number of devices that will be used during your stay. each voucher is for 1 Gigabyte/3 devices. This WiFi is given for the purpose of planning the attractions undertaken, whislt in Turangi, booking the attractions/activities you wish to attend on your next leg of your journey and keeping in contact with family.
Yes, you contacted Settlers Motel to advise that your wife had come down with the flu and you did not know if she would be able to travel to complete your stay with us. I explained our cancellation policy and you advised that you did not wish to cancel. Unfortunately your unit was booked for new guests the next day, they had requested a mid-day - 1pm check in at the time they made their booking (several weeks prior to arrival). The 2 bedroom unit takes 1 - 11/2 hours to clean probably and this is the only reason for not being able to accommodate your request (at check in) for a late check out (sometimes we just can not grant everyone requirements)
Your wife and son were offered hot drinks while sitting in the car awaiting your return from fishing. The offer was declined.
As check out time is 10am, yes the parking lot was empty of cars, with the exception of yours.I have checked my staffs cleaning times for the day you departed, 3 hours cleaning - from 10am - 1pm.
I was really upset that I could not grant your wife and son the ability to be able to remain in the warm room when you requested it at check in the night before.

Reviewed 26 April 2019

Upon our arrival we were greeted warmly with our puppy and he even got a treat whilst we checked-in. The room and facilities for comfortable and exactly as we'd expected from the website and photos. Looking forward to staying again next time we pass through.

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
DonnaV_24, Owner at Settlers Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2019

Thank you for your time to review us. Yourselves and puppy very welcome anytime.

Reviewed 15 April 2019

We stayed two nights because we were hiking the Tongoriro trail. Donna was vvery welcoming and helpful. Gave us laundry detergent and other things. Great location... easy walk to town and amenities. Clean with full cooking facilities.

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
DonnaV_24, Owner at Settlers Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2019

Thank you for your review. Being centrally located is very handy to all attractions, food and amenities and you just become one of the Settlers family while your here. Stay safe.

Reviewed 3 March 2019

Our lodge was very clean and comfortable with good facilities, including the use of a barbecue. Also had Sky reception which enabled Six Nations rugby to be viewed live. Our hostess, Donna, wa especially helpful and kind. Thank you.

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Roving21635179004
DonnaV_24, Owner at Settlers Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2019

Thank you for your time to review us, I am pleased you found your stay enjoyable and had everything that you needed.

Reviewed 28 February 2019

Settlers Motel is conveniently located over the road from the town of Turangi. It is also located close to the main highway, but this was not an issue in Unit 4. Parking was easy and the 1GB of free WIFI was welcomed.

As a first time stayer, I felt Settlers had a formal vibe, with signs warning not to take the small milk bottle (or you'll be fined) and warning signs not to cook fish or "curry" in the rooms. Perhaps a more friendly sign might be "For the benefit of all guests, please use the outdoor cooking facilities for aromatic or strong smelling foods" - just a suggestion.

The Unit was clean and tidy and had lovely high ceilings and a front porch which got the afternoon sun.

Suggested improvements: 1) guests should be told on check-in that the Aircon can only be controlled from the main office - ie there is no remote control in the room, 2) the mattress needs updating as it seems past its use-by date. 3) the wall heater that was suppose to offer heat - needs to be re-installed (it wasn't in the room) so guests have some heating .

With these easy improvements, this would be a great place to stay while visiting Turangi.

Room tip: Units 4 and above are set back from the main highway so would be quieter. Ask about heating and check your beds comfort level is ok.
Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
DonnaV_24, Owner at Settlers Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2019

Thank you for time in reviewing us. I appreciate your feedback and your honesty. the wording of our signs appear business like, 'fined' is not used (the words 'A charge will be incurred'). With the different ethic groups that stay at Settlers I have found signage with pictures and few words catch the eye and allow the next guest to stay in the unit, ensuring a fresh and pleasant smell.
I apologise if I did explain about the Air Conditioner when I showed you to your unit, I generally do this with all guests and if asked to turn them on - it is done - due to the Air Conditioners being on central control. The missing wall heater - not there - inadvertently was removed by the previous guest who left the day of your arrival - it is being returned and will be re-installed as soon as it is received back. Due to this happening I am in the process of designing a bracket that will not allow the wall heaters to be removed in the future. I have also changed the inspection frequency for these to daily (until the brackets are installed) so guests staying do have a heat source if the Air Conditioner is not on. Once again I am very saddened that you were cold and uncomfortable due to no heating.
I have checked my records and the mattress in the unit was upgraded 8 months ago - I have also manually checked it and spoken to guests who have stayed in the unit since your stay - they have not feed back any comment reflecting it needs to be changed or is passed its use-by-date.