“To Expensive”
Review of Tekapo Springs

Tekapo Springs
More attraction details
Owner description: Tekapo Springs has the perfect mix of exciting and relaxing activities, 364 days a year! Located in the Mackenzie Region, halfway between Christchurch & Queenstown, we have incredible views of Lake Tekapo & the mountains. Soak up the stunning views from our hot pools or chill out in the Aqua Play Area with cooler shallow & deep pools and interactive water features! Temperatures range from 27 – 38 degrees Celsius. Or try our steam & sauna rooms with cold plunge pool. Dare to ride New Zealand’s largest inflatable waterslide, the TRIPPO! At 11 metres high with 3 chutes, it provides hours of fun in summer. Indulge yourself with a massage or facial at our Day Spa with a full range of treatments designed to revitalise the body & mind. Sample the delicious menu at our café. By night, soak in the stars with Tekapo Star Gazing, New Zealand's only hot pools & stargazing experience. With the perfect mix of relaxation & recreation, Tekapo Springs is a must-do for everyone!
Reviewed 17 September 2017

Not what we expected. Hot pools - they give the impression that they are real hot pools but they are just swimming pools with hot water in them. The ice rink - the ice was covered in water and the tubing needed far more snow but was ok.

3  Thank Joshtherock
Management response:Responded 27 September 2017

Hi Joshtherock, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'real hot pools' - I promise we are not imaginary! I think you might mean thermal pools, naturally heated? We are not thermal and do not advertise ourselves as such. Our water is glacial spring water that is heated on-site using a fantastic and energy-efficient heating/cooling system.

This time of the year our ice rink is in 'spring conditions', meaning that there may be some melt- or rain-water on the surface of the rink due to increasing springs temperatures and the nature of an outdoor rink. I'm sorry to hear that you were not satisfied during your visit, I hope you get the chance to visit us again - maybe a bit earlier in the year to get the full winter experience including some skiing at nearby Roundhill, or in summer to try out our giant Trippo water slide!

Melanie

Write a ReviewReviews (1,006)
All reviews
"tube park"
in 13 reviews
"water slides"
in 18 reviews
"pools of varying temperatures"
"relaxing experience"
"holiday park"
"south island"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 16 September 2017

This is a brilliant idea - terraced and beautifully landscaped pools overlooking Lake Tekapo and the mountains. If you stay at the camping ground next door, even better.
I visited with my mum (84) and we loved soaking in the pools. The middle pool has a ramp, which made it easier for mum to get in. I drove up the goods entrance to drop mum just outside the reception - the alternative would have been winding path that would have been tricky for her to climb. It is not well lit at night. So not terribly disability-friendly or accessible.
The facilities give the feeling of having been outgrown by the pool's popularity. On our Saturday afternoon visit, people had left their bags on the benches in the changing room, with no free space at all for mum to sit and get changed. It would be better if people used the lockers (you have to pay) or the cubby holes (free) outside. The next day, it was easier to find space.
You need to shower in the changing rooms before you get in and on our visit, when it was very cold outside, this meant spending a bit of time cold and wet standing on chilly concrete waiting for others to stow their gear and free up the locker machine. It was also very cold underfoot walking across flagstones to get to the pool. Next time I'd bring jandals (flipflops). I'd also consider bringing two towels, so you have a dry towel when you get out of the pool. Ideally, you'd shower poolside and get straight into the hot water.
There was quite loud pop music in the changing room too - not everyone's choice.
Once in the pool, all was well. We enjoyed the international flavour with visitors clearly enjoying the experience too. I'd go again, especially at dusk.
Mum appreciated the ramp leading to the day spa and the lovely manicure from a friendly beautician.
TripAdvisor doesn't have an option for a family visit with an older person - this is what we had.

Management response:Responded 27 September 2017

Hi RosemarieNorth, thank you for the review! Next time you visit us, you are more than welcome to park right in the area where you dropped your mum off - this is our disability parking right next to the building! I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that we do have some changes to the building in the plans, including some improvements to our changing area :)

It sounds like your family had a lovely day, and I hope you get a chance to join us again!

Reviewed 14 September 2017

Very disappointed in your guides lack of local knowledge of the sky's considering they were all experts in their field.
Why would I want to hear about Aboriginal navigating history when Māori have a very long, rich and extensive navigating history that is well known.
Most disappointed when the guide knew nothing about Matariki when we were there on the very day/night Matariki started.
And you should have the courtesy to pronounce the place name correctly even if it is a corruption of the true meaning "To leave in haste at night"
Regardless of where your guides are from they are representing NZ and NZ history should be provided to foreign visitors to the these shore, that's one of the reasons they are there. Know your local history and learn correct pronunciation.
Matariki is the Māori name for the cluster of stars also known as the Pleiades. It rises in mid-winter and for many Māori, it heralds the start of a new year. Matariki literally means the 'eyes of god' (mata ariki) or 'little eyes' (mata riki)

Date of experience: June 2017
Management response:Responded 24 September 2017

Hi tbennett2007, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. While I am disappointed to hear about your experience, I am concerned that you did not come and see us about it at the time. Our tours are ever-changing and developing with our customer feedback (and of course we will take yours into consideration as well), however as a newer business they have already changed a lot since the tour you joined three months ago when Matariki began.

Our tours are a unique storytelling experience that uses comparative mythology to give you a view of the night sky not only from a Māori perspective, but also from that of the ancient Greeks and indigenous Australians. It's a shame to hear that you felt it was too Australia-heavy, however our tours are designed for an international audience and so we simply talk about the mythology surrounding whatever objects are most visible in the sky on the night of the tour regardless of which culture these myths originate from.

Thank you again for taking your time to write to us.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

Visited a quiet sunday evening. Arrived at 8pm to beautifully lit pools. Freezing temps outside so hot pools were amazing. it wasn't the clearest night so not as many stars as usual in Tekapo but it did snow a little which was magical.
Will be returning for sure!

Management response:Responded 24 September 2017

Hi Belén T, thank you for the lovely review! Sounds like you came on a beautiful night to experience the snowy skies of Tekapo, and all the better to see them from the relaxing hot pools!

See more reviews
Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

LOUD Music destroyed the natural relaxation of soaking under starry skies! My reward for braving messy changing rooms & disgusting toilets. 'Lifeguards' seemed more intent on swinging hammers around than looking after the patrons. Very disappointing. I recommend heading to Hanmer Springs where nature is enough entertainment allowing for romance & relaxation! And the guards take their job seriously!

1  Thank brownieac
Management response:Responded 24 September 2017

Hi Angela M, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'm sorry to hear that your experience was less than relaxing, I do hope you mentioned that the volume of the music was too loud during your visit as we are always happy to turn it down on anyone's request. I have taken your review to our Activities Manager to bring to the attention of the lifeguards; while they do take their jobs seriously, they also like to have a bit of fun and I can see how this might look to you the customer.

We have been busy lately with the end of season skiers flocking to the Mackenzie, and I do hope you will give us another chance if you are passing through this way again - maybe you'll find it more peaceful at a different time of year :)