“Stunning scenery!”

Air Safaris
Ranked #4 of 18 things to do in Lake Tekapo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This premier Aoraki / Mount Cook flightseeing experience, 'The Grand Traverse' encompasses two World Heritage National Parks in a tour of 200kms amongst New Zealand's highest mountains and largest glaciers. From the golden tussock lands, turquoise glacier lakes and huge glacial valleys of the Mackenzie Basin around Aoraki Mt Cook, Mt Tasman and the Tasman Glacier to the coastal plains of Westland and the dramatic icefalls of the Fox and Franz Josef Glaciers. Every passenger has a window seat and all aircraft have wings-above to ensure optimum viewing below. Pilots provide a full and informative commentary with multi language commentary brochures supplied. We also offer exciting helicopter flights from Tekapo with alpine landing and an incredible Combo Flightseeing Experience featuring the MacKenzie Explorer heli-flight plus Grand Traverse fixed wing. The best of both worlds!
Akaroa
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Stunning scenery!”
Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

Really enjoyed our Grand Traverse. The views were spectacular and the pilot did an awesome job of banking turns so both sides got a great view. He was also very knowledgable and told us all about the lakes, mountains, rivers, glaciers, high country stations, etc. Highly recommend this amazing flight!

Visited April 2017

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Absolutely stunning ”
Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

Was recommended either a heli or plane tour of Mt Cook and the glaciers. Unfortunately, being over on the east coast I couldn't arrange one from Franz Joseph.

Had heard that Air Safaris ran one from Tekapo, booked one and crossed my fingers for good weather!

The day of my flight, the weather was perfect, blue skies, light wind. There were only 2 other passengers, so we were sat all on the right hand side so all got excellent views. Our pilot was an excellent guide, not too intrusive and let the stunning scenery speak for itself. I never imagined getting so close to Mt Cook, or the glaciers, or seeing the Lake in all its beauty.

Many photo ops, but my advise is limit yourself, and take it n with your eyes! The hour flight flew by, literally, and I was left in awe. My advise it, book one, and do everything you can to fly on a sunny clear day. Well worth re arranging plans, you will not see anything like it for sure. The highlight of my NZ trip.

Visited April 2017
Air_Safaris, Pilot at Air Safaris, responded to this review, 3 May 2017
Hi padprod,

Thanks for your wonderful review of your flight with us here in Lake Tekapo.

Sounds like you had an absolute bluebird day! We really appreciate your comments re. limiting the photo count, and repeat the same ourselves. The sights along the way are too good to be seen through a cameras viewfinder, or your phone screen - although be sure to grab a few for the memory!

I hope the rest of your travels have gone well.

Kind Regards,
Joe.
Adelaide
4 attraction reviews
“Fantastic views of the mountain ranges & glaciers , well worth the money😀”
Reviewed 1 April 2017

Booked flight with the lovely staff at Franz Josef office for Air Safaris. Were very helpful about changing the flight times for the plane trip as the low cloud cover over the village was stopping anyone from flying a lot of vthe day.
Fortunately after waiting til mid afternoon frequently checking back with the helpful Christine & pilot Tony , they got clearance for the only flight for the whole day!!The cloud staying over Franz Josef Glacier was stopping the helicopters from taking off all day, so really glad we had chosen "The Grand Traverse " comprehensive plane tour of NZ's highest peaks & glaciers.
Flew up to 10000 ft at times,so close to Mt Cook, Tony gave us so many photo opportunities. It was beautiful ,clear skies & sunshine as we flew over the mountains.Fantastic views & 50 min flight was pretty smooth, we all had window seats & my husband got to sit in the copilot's seat, esp great views for him! Fantastic photo opportunities,expensive but a once in a lifetime chance for us ,so glad we got to go!

Brampton, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Expensive but spectacular ”
Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

My wife and I decided to take the Grand Traverse trip which lasted one hour. I was a little reluctant at first as at $340 for 2 it seemed expensive. However afterwards I felt it was well worth the money. I was lucky enough to sit in the co pilots seat, but the view was excellent from every seat. The pilot Tim was very professional, knowledgeable and friendly. A once in a lifetime experience which I would highly recommend.

3 Thank PeterLeggett
Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
137 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 25 March 2017

Disappointed because my helicopter tour had been cancelled, I dejectedly headed toward Wanaka.. But, I happened to notice a small office for Air Safaris near Lake Pukaki.. Vacant.. However, there was a number to call.. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I called.. I spoke to Richard who set me up with an air safari from Lake Tekapo which was 40 mins back from where I came.. I went for it anyway. It was longer and less expensive than the helicopter ride would have been (no landing on a glacier on the air safari).

Heading back, I met my fellow travelers our pilot, Joe.. The beauty of the landscapes is unimaginable. Joe took us out and around Aoraki Mt Cook, the Southern Alps and over several of the glacier lakes in an hour air tour. Photo opportunities galore - but don't miss the true beauty of this earth and be sure you actually just take it in with your eyes to marvel at this magnificent creation..

Happily I headed on my way.. Revealing in the grace and serenity of the day.

This is SO worth the time and money I spent (if you read any of my other reviews, you will know that I don't say that about everything..)

Air_Safaris, Pilot at Air Safaris, responded to this review, 3 May 2017
Hi,

Thanks for taking your time to review the Grand Traverse flight with us here in Lake Tekapo!

Richard, myself and the rest of the team certainly appreciate your lovely comments about your experience with us here, I'm really pleased we could make the flight work out for you. It was certainly a great day for flying in the Mount Cook area!

Hopefully the rest of your time in New Zealand went well, with nice weather!

Kind Regards,