“Fantastic views of the mountain ranges & glaciers , well worth the money😀”
Review of Air Safaris

Air Safaris
Ranked #4 of 18 things to do in Lake Tekapo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This premier Aoraki / Mount Cook flightseeing experience, 'The Grand Traverse' encompasses two World Heritage National Parks in a tour of 200kms amongst New Zealand's highest mountains and largest glaciers. From the golden tussock lands, turquoise glacier lakes and huge glacial valleys of the Mackenzie Basin around Aoraki Mt Cook, Mt Tasman and the Tasman Glacier to the coastal plains of Westland and the dramatic icefalls of the Fox and Franz Josef Glaciers. Every passenger has a window seat and all aircraft have wings-above to ensure optimum viewing below. Pilots provide a full and informative commentary with multi language commentary brochures supplied. We also offer exciting helicopter flights from Tekapo with alpine landing and an incredible Combo Flightseeing Experience featuring the MacKenzie Explorer heli-flight plus Grand Traverse fixed wing. The best of both worlds!
Adelaide
4 attraction reviews
“Fantastic views of the mountain ranges & glaciers , well worth the money😀”
Reviewed 1 April 2017

Booked flight with the lovely staff at Franz Josef office for Air Safaris. Were very helpful about changing the flight times for the plane trip as the low cloud cover over the village was stopping anyone from flying a lot of vthe day.
Fortunately after waiting til mid afternoon frequently checking back with the helpful Christine & pilot Tony , they got clearance for the only flight for the whole day!!The cloud staying over Franz Josef Glacier was stopping the helicopters from taking off all day, so really glad we had chosen "The Grand Traverse " comprehensive plane tour of NZ's highest peaks & glaciers.
Flew up to 10000 ft at times,so close to Mt Cook, Tony gave us so many photo opportunities. It was beautiful ,clear skies & sunshine as we flew over the mountains.Fantastic views & 50 min flight was pretty smooth, we all had window seats & my husband got to sit in the copilot's seat, esp great views for him! Fantastic photo opportunities,expensive but a once in a lifetime chance for us ,so glad we got to go!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Brampton, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Expensive but spectacular ”
Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

My wife and I decided to take the Grand Traverse trip which lasted one hour. I was a little reluctant at first as at $340 for 2 it seemed expensive. However afterwards I felt it was well worth the money. I was lucky enough to sit in the co pilots seat, but the view was excellent from every seat. The pilot Tim was very professional, knowledgeable and friendly. A once in a lifetime experience which I would highly recommend.

3 Thank PeterLeggett
Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
137 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 25 March 2017

Disappointed because my helicopter tour had been cancelled, I dejectedly headed toward Wanaka.. But, I happened to notice a small office for Air Safaris near Lake Pukaki.. Vacant.. However, there was a number to call.. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I called.. I spoke to Richard who set me up with an air safari from Lake Tekapo which was 40 mins back from where I came.. I went for it anyway. It was longer and less expensive than the helicopter ride would have been (no landing on a glacier on the air safari).

Heading back, I met my fellow travelers our pilot, Joe.. The beauty of the landscapes is unimaginable. Joe took us out and around Aoraki Mt Cook, the Southern Alps and over several of the glacier lakes in an hour air tour. Photo opportunities galore - but don't miss the true beauty of this earth and be sure you actually just take it in with your eyes to marvel at this magnificent creation..

Happily I headed on my way.. Revealing in the grace and serenity of the day.

This is SO worth the time and money I spent (if you read any of my other reviews, you will know that I don't say that about everything..)

Air_Safaris, Pilot at Air Safaris, responded to this review, 3 May 2017
Hi,

Thanks for taking your time to review the Grand Traverse flight with us here in Lake Tekapo!

Richard, myself and the rest of the team certainly appreciate your lovely comments about your experience with us here, I'm really pleased we could make the flight work out for you. It was certainly a great day for flying in the Mount Cook area!

Hopefully the rest of your time in New Zealand went well, with nice weather!

Kind Regards,
Joe.

Gold Coast, Australia
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Don't forget your camera and enjoy the amazing scenery from the plane.”
Reviewed 10 March 2017

The Air Safari over Lake Tekapo was absolutely amazing. We were lucky to have crystal clear weather that day and photos just don't do it any justice. You have to see it yourself to enjoy the experience. Highly recommended for everyone.

Visited December 2016
Hilton Head, South Carolina
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Clear Weather Awesomeness”
Reviewed 27 February 2017

I understand that clouds happen, but it was not on this day. This is a must do if the weather is clear. I have heard that multiple times, but I wholeheartedly agree.

Visited February 2017