If you want to experience life in a Mexican town La Penita is for you.
The accommodations are in a beautiful setting the 2 bedroom villa is very spacious simple clean and comfortable. Beautiful grounds gardens lovely pool and a tall Palapa for resting in the shade or dining. The owners are a lovely couple Jerry is always willing to teach you about the Birds and butterflies in their Gardens and if you are lucky he'll take you on a nature walk that will have you seeing everything around you in a new light. I was surprised to learn that he just celebrated his 90th birthday!
The Groundskeeper Martin was always helpful if you need anything for your villa, or have any questions about the area.
La Penita is a true Mexican town the rental property is at the top of the hills that climb from the beach and main town which allows for spectacular views of the entire area and ocean with beautiful sunsets every evening and perfect cool nights for sleeping.
It is a hike to town and the beach but you get a real feel for the people and daily life. I prefer a cab for the return trip up hill it cost all of 20 to 30 pecos. Walking is safe and we did much of it bring good shoes. The village shops have everything any small town needs Doctors Dentist Pharmacies many great restaurants every meal was wonderful from quick lunches to fine dining. The Beach is lovely this is a fishing village it was so fun to watch the small boats coming in with their catch and the flocks of pelicans and frigget birds looking for hand outs.
During our visit we took several bus trips to nearby towns spend time here and don't be afraid to explore the surrounding area .
At the end of the day I am glad to be looking out at this sweet town in a private setting glad to be far enough away to hear the sounds of the busy village nightlife and happy that it is in the distance.
If you like cushy hotels and daily room service and sitting at pool with 100 other English speaking tourist this place is not for you.
Cannot wait to return.
- Stayed in 2 bedroom unit - 4 people (3 adults & 1 12 yr old child) place was clean when we arrived
- Agreed on Price with 2 separate telephone conversations / plus email trail prior to arrival and 50% down payment - Arrived Owner tried to get more money from us saying they made mistake (which the other person staying at same time in 1 bedroom unit (a couple) said they went through the same nonsense of bait and switch pricing)
- Pool is dirty - continual algae - Would not let son swim it in - its green not blue
- Was surprised advertises "grill" yet when I went to BBQ there was no propane and then we had to pay $5.00 US for propane - unless I am a member of a sight disabled association I do not recall any correspondence or indication I would be 'nickle and dimed' on propane. Its not the $5.00 its the principal that seems to be forgotten by this owner that seems to be a pattern from when we were there and the other residents going through the same 'nickle and diming' plus the individual that stayed on Dec 13th whose review was negative (we did not read that review until we had already arrived) - Suffice to say there is a pattern here that I propose is not due to chance alone..
- advertised as 2 x per week cleaning - we only saw the cleaner do the mopping of the floors 1x over a 10 day period
- We were frustrated as even the supplied towels/facecloths/bedsheets were not done so we took their towels/facecloths/bedsheets to laundry away from the rental unit in town ourselves
Suffice to say having our own vacation rental home in Florida (and having to deal with unique vacationer requests/issues and looking to resolve them expediently we do have experience) and having rented places in Australia Queensland, Big Island of Hawaii, Dominican Republic i.e. all over the place with no complaints per say - This is the single time that there seems to be a problem with bait and switch pricing and not delivering on what is advertised..
I would not recommend staying here - Plus it is very far from the town centre and/or beach - there is no beach in La Penita proper and you do need a car
The place was nice very clean and remote from any amenities It was a long walk up a very steep hill and a good half hr. from the beach the road to it was terrible and some cabs refused to go there .We booked the place and paid in advance after we got there the owners wanted to double our rent because 2 friends stayed for 4 days. We rented a two bedroom unit never using the second room other than those 3 days we left after a couple of ultimatums which we thought were outrageous
Went into Rincon for the last 3 days and and got a nice place a block from the beach for way less I would never recommend this place to anyone.
All the places we have stayed VRBO or AIRBNB we have never been involved in a situation like this in which the owners renegotiated and demanded more money.
I could possibly see a small increase $40.oo but nearly double was ridiculous. Don
This was my 4th Visit to Villa Chuparosa I fell in love with the area on the first visit and I cannot imagine staying anywhere else. The Einems are great hosts and Jerry is always teaching you about the Birds, Butterflies, and Plants in the surrounding garden. The Bungalow is sweet all the comforts of home & more than enough room for a family not to mention Clean & well maintained. Jerry & Libby like I are not getting any younger and don't take the long walks anymore but love great conversation & joined us to our favorite Restaurant High on the Cliff overlooking the Bay & Introduced us to some other great new spots to eat in town. Their Groundskeeper Martin a local young man from La Penita is super he is always helpful in direction or taking care of any needs you may have during your stay. This time we joined him & some neighbors on an exciting trip to the Hot Springs in the Mountains where they prepared an amazing Barbecue. We always feel safe walking anywhere around La Penita we took our first Bus Trip right out of La Penita to San Blas another area I always wanted to visit full of shops galleries and restaurants the Buses are fantastic and I am already planning on venturing to other areas from La Penita on my next visit. This is a beautiful place peaceful a true feel of life in Mexico. Not a Tourist Trap or Vegas Strip No High Rises Here it's Affordable, full of Great & Interesting People. I woke up back at my home this morning missing the Sights & Sounds of this lovely place. Yes I will be going back for the 5th time you bet.
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|